Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m experiencing a winter braking issue with our 2018 Clarity PI. I live in Alaska and drive on slushy and icy roads for part of the year. As such, I install Toyo Observe Garit KX snow tires on separate Raceline EVO rims at the beginning of winter, torquing all lug nuts to 80 foot pounds. The rims/tires are the same size as stock, though the offset of the rims is slightly wider. I experience the following ONLY with the winter tires installed: Occasionally when decelerating with constant pressure on the brake pedal, there is a sensation of the brakes partially releasing, almost as if I’ve hit a patch of ice. It’s enough to startle me into thinking I'm sliding or losing control. Additional pressure on the pedal overcomes the sensation and the car continues to decelerate. It only happens when the snow tires are installed. It doesn’t happen every time and happens at all speeds. Also, it happens on wet roads when no snow or ice are present and traction is in no way an issue (very sure about that). The car goes in for routine service in December (non Honda dealer) and I plan to ask the mechanic about it, but thought I’d float the question out to the forum. Thanks for any insight!

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Clarity uses blended braking when you're using the brake pedal. What this entails is the car will use EV regenerative braking to the maximum extent possible before engaging the friction brakes. What you're feeling is the EV regenerative braking disengaging followed by a momentary gap in braking before the friction brakes can fully engage to replace the previous engine braking. The Volt will do the same thing and yes, it's very disconcerting the first few times you feel it. I deal with this feel as an anti-lock brake disengagement.

Reactions: 4sallypat

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Clarity uses blended braking when you're using the brake pedal. What this entails is the car will use EV regenerative braking to the maximum extent possible before engaging the friction brakes. What you're feeling is the EV regenerative braking disengaging followed by a momentary gap in braking before the friction brakes can fully engage to replace the previous engine braking. The Volt will do the same thing and yes, it's very disconcerting the first few times you feel it. I deal with this feel as an anti-lock brake disengagement.
One of the most amazing features on the Bolt is the blended braking. It's seamless.

·
Registered
464 Posts
One of the most amazing features on the Bolt is the blended braking. It's seamless.
Even when the ABS system kicks in? What triggers the Clarity and Volt to drop the regenerative braking is activation of ABS on either of the front wheels.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is an issue across hybrid designs; early ones like my old Prius and C-Max were a little more touchy than our newer designs. We don't have snow/ice triggers here but large bumps like railroad tracks+ rain will cause it too.

·
Registered
464 Posts
This is an issue across hybrid designs; early ones like my old Prius and C-Max were a little more touchy than our newer designs. We don't have snow/ice triggers here but large bumps like railroad tracks+ rain will cause it too.
This issue may be why Tesla didn't go the blended braking route for nearly a decade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts