Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Clarity touring PHEV requires a new windshield and is covered by my insurance. OEM is taking a long time, no delivery date at this point. Anyone know the pros and cons with using an aftermarket windshield? Thanks.

· Registered
266 Posts
Unless you have a heads up display (FCX) It shouldn't be an issue. Be sure that the company replacing the windshield also can calibrate the camera. Just snapping it on the new screen could mess up the LKAS, and calibration after the fact must be done by Honda (and for about $400).

· Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,090 Posts
My 2019 Clarity touring PHEV requires a new windshield and is covered by my insurance. OEM is taking a long time, no delivery date at this point. Anyone know the pros and cons with using an aftermarket windshield? Thanks.
I read about someone having a situation where the dealer asked them if aftermarket was okay since OEM would take a long time to get, so they said okay. But then the dealer told them that when they installed the aftermarket windshield they were unable to calibrate the camera. The dealer was able to locate an OEM windshield at another dealer and installed it and everything was fine. Now whether that was an isolated incident, who knows.

It would be nice to know who makes the aftermarket windshield. Our OEM windshields are made for Honda by AGC (you can see their name on the windshield). Safelite is licensed to make AGC windshields, so if the name on a replacement windshield is Safelite it should in theory be identical to the OEM. That's why I am wondering who makes the aftermarket windshields that we hear about.

Unless you have a heads up display (FCX) It shouldn't be an issue. Be sure that the company replacing the windshield also can calibrate the camera. Just snapping it on the new screen could mess up the LKAS, and calibration after the fact must be done by Honda (and for about $400).
I have heard of calibration being included in the price even when windshield replacement is done at non-dealer shops. But yes you should always confirm that it is included. From what I understand some non-dealer shops can calibrate, although I suspect that is more rare. Others send you to a dealer afterwards, and the dealer bills the shop. I heard of one person who used Safelite, they were told to take the car to the dealer, Safelite came out and installed the windshield there, then the dealer calibrated it.

· Registered
266 Posts
The only national aftermarket chain I know does it is Safelight, but it has to be at the shop, not an at home replacement. When my prius prime had a bad crack I used them. I took it to their shop and they did everything. They said they only do the calibration on their glass at the time if installation. I guess you have to check with the local shop.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
The only national aftermarket chain I know does it is Safelight, but it has to be at the shop, not an at home replacement. When my prius prime had a bad crack I used them. I took it to their shop and they did everything. They said they only do the calibration on their glass at the time if installation. I guess you have to check with the local shop.
I think it does depend on the local Safelite shop. The situations that I mentioned were all Safelite, at least most of them were from what I remember. So this leads me to believe that not all Safelite locations do calibration. From what I am able to gather if a Safelite shop cannot calibrate at their shop then they send you to the dealer for that part, but it's still all on one bill. I have never heard of a Safelite shop telling someone we only install, you are on your own as far as calibrating. Not saying that has never happened, but I am guessing that would be unusual at a Safelite shop. Now going to just a random repair place I suppose anything can happen, might have a perfectly good experience, or may have a situation where after the windshield replacement LKAS doesn't work anymore, and the shop says that's not something we do, and you then have to pay several hundred out of your own pocket at the dealer. I don't think I have heard about that actually happening, but it doesn't hurt to confirm ahead of time how the calibration will be handled.

· Registered
1,090 Posts
In case it wasn't clear in my earlier post, although Safelite is licensed to produce AGC windshields, they are still labeled and sold under the AGC brand name. In other words in that capacity Safelite is basically acting as a manufacturer for AGC. I don't know if there is a way to tell if an AGC windshield is produced by AGC, Safelite, or another company. Or if it really matters. I was just pointing out that if we find out that Safelite is producing aftermarket windshields for Clarity under the Safelite name, this seems to increase the chances that they will be the same as the OEM windows.

As a sidenote, I previously researched all eleven of the exterior windows on the Clarity. Well by research I mean that I walked around the car and made a note of the manufacturer and model information that is printed on all of the windows.

Windshield - AGC Lamisafe
Front passenger windows - AGC Lamisafe

Front vent windows - AGC Temperlite
Rear passenger windows - AGC Temperlite
Rear vent windows - AGC Temperlite
Hatch large window - AGC Temperlite
Hatch rear dark tinted window - AGC Temperlite

The interior window between the cabin and trunk is Sunloid by Sumitomo Bakelite, and is polycarbonate not glass.

· Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
348 Posts
We joined the cracked windshield club this weekend. My wife drove it around some today and the crack got longer. Checked with insurance our deductible is $1k. Gonna check with a local shop called Doctor Auto Glass....

· Registered
266 Posts
Our replacement was $1800 before my insurance deductible. If I had opted to oat the whole thing on my own it would have been $1100 including the calibration. 3 months after replacement I had to go get a rock chip repair. My wife has magnets in her tires - she finds every nail in the road and I find the rocks with the glass.

· Registered
348 Posts
Our replacement was $1800 before my insurance deductible. If I had opted to oat the whole thing on my own it would have been $1100 including the calibration. 3 months after replacement I had to go get a rock chip repair. My wife has magnets in her tires - she finds every nail in the road and I find the rocks with the glass.
Thank you for sharing the probable cost. If I find Doctor Auto Glass can get an (aftermarket) replacement I will definitely share here. I will likely need to use my Honda HDS clone to try to calibrate it...

Unfortunately certain freeways/highways are construction truck favorites and since you'd likely follow the same path to work/school/etc very likely to have rock chip in the windshield. Our son was driving to Cerritos, to Redondo Beach, to Pasadena, then back home in Arcadia. I noticed the crack the next morning, with the telltale tiny chip likely where it started. It's been maybe 5 to 6 years since our last windshield replacement on our old C-MAX. Ford glass was very cheap ($3xx range glass only) but the non-Ford glass was still cheaper....

· Registered
266 Posts
I did some research on FUAYO. they have a glass plant in Ohio, but your glass is from their Chinese plant. Glass from their USA plant is coded as DOT 1038 and one made in China is coded as DOT 459. It should be the correct thickness since it is DOT certified. There are some posts on other model boards that the FUAYO windshields don't work well with rain-sensing wipers, but since we don't have that on the Clarity you should be just fine.

· Registered
348 Posts
Thank you for researching!

On the lighting forum they say DOT does not certify but manufacturer self certifies. FUYAO would do the certification if that is true? So far so good. I don't think any recalibration was done. I didn't have a chance to try. Do you think I need to?

· Registered
266 Posts
Give it a try. Maybe you lucked out. Most posts stated recalibration is necessary, regardless of who the manufacturer is. About the only negative I found on the Fuyao glass is that they had distortion in the lower corners, which became noticeable when looking at the lane markings. I could only find 2 mfgs for the Clarity - Plinklinton (OEM) and Fuyao.

· Registered
348 Posts
Yup there's definitely distortion in the lower right corner, and a smaller area of distortion in the lower left corner. How much did the Plinklinton cost? Is that from a Honda dealer?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts