Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always assumed that my 2020 Clarity PHEV is front wheel drive. Is it front, rear, or 4wheel? Depending on the answer, is regenerative braking applied to front or rear wheels. I am in Central Illinois and we are expecting ice conditions this afternoon. It could be relavent.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
545 Posts
I've always assumed that my 2020 Clarity PHEV is front wheel drive. Is it front, rear, or 4wheel? Depending on the answer, is regenerative braking applied to front or rear wheels. I am in Central Illinois and we are expecting ice conditions this afternoon. It could be relavent.
The PHEV is front wheel drive. Regen is on the front wheels only.

An amazing resource is the Weber State University Automotive site. Dr. Kelly is absolutely awesome, and he describes exactly how the Clarity PHEV E-Drive system works. BTW, this system is shared on several other Honda hybrid platforms.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I watched it. That was really interesting. A related question. The video says that over 62 mph it is more efficient to use the ICE for direct power and it automatically drops in. I have never used the dash screen to know of I end up using direct power, it is always on the available miles or the efficiency screen. I have noted in the past that I use the HV Charge mode when traveling. Someone responded that with HV Charge mode the direct ICE drive does not engage. Is that the case? I am going to check for it next time I am on the interstate. Thanks again.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The video is amazing. We have both my wife's CRV Hybrid and my Clarity. The engineering for the transaxle is pretty wild. I have a whole new appreciation of the car. I just hope I don't try to baby it too much now that I know how many moving parts there are in just one component of the car :)

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
545 Posts
The video is amazing. We have both my wife's CRV Hybrid and my Clarity. The engineering for the transaxle is pretty wild. I have a whole new appreciation of the car. I just hope I don't try to baby it too much now that I know how many moving parts there are in just one component of the car :)
Yeah. It's pretty crazy that some talented nerds came up with that stuff. That Honda chose to call it an "e-CVT" is a crying shame. The "e" part I get, but the "CVT" is truly a misnomer. Nothing in it bears any resemblance to an actual Continuously Variable Transmission, as you can see in the video.

Dr. Kelly has an entire series on the Chevy Bolt (my other vehicle). Tons of material. All equally as good as the example you've watched. I've found myself to be "lost in YouTube" on his site for hours at a time, completely entranced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had read that using the ICE to to directly drive the car at speeds over 62 mph was the most efficient. but what happens if you are in EV mode? Does the ICE come on at highway speeds even if you are in EV mode or only if you are in HV mode?

·
Registered
221 Posts
When in EV mode, mine is not using the ICE at freeway speeds up to 80mph (legal speed limit on freeway in Utah outside urban areas). I can tell from two visual cues - the "EV" is displayed and the engine speed/RPM dial is all blue. When I go to HV mode the dial turns white and the "EV" disappears. Of course at that speed I am not in EV mode long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts