Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Touring White Pearl, SO CT
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general observation here...we are talking about a vehicle that can operate on battery power, which is affected by temperature, so it's important that posters identify which state they live in, or at least their local climate, when discussing range per charge and related topics. This will proved a context for further discussion and helpful advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts
Just a general observation here...we are talking about a vehicle that can operate on battery power, which is affected by temperature, so it's important that posters identify which state they live in, or at least their local climate, when discussing range per charge and related topics. This will proved a context for further discussion and helpful advice. Thanks!
You'll find that in most threads that discuss range (or lack thereof), average temperatures and vehicle locations are often mentioned and/or asked for and provided in the later posts. You'll need to read the thread to find this info, though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true in many cases, but I wish they would include location info in the original post so you wouldn't have to read through replies to get all the relevant facts.

·
Super Moderator
526 Posts
That's true in many cases, but I wish they would include location info in the original post so you wouldn't have to read through replies to get all the relevant facts.
I will ask the admin to include location if those that want to be identified do...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will ask the admin to include location if those that want to be identified do...
Thank you 4sallypat, I think knowing location is critical for many discussions on this forum. Not only for climate info, but "lay of the land" also. For example, the flat terrain of FL vs the hills and mountains of NE states.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
865 Posts
That will be great, even better is if they show the year and model. It should be possible because this forum uses XenForo forum software. For several years when I had my Prius I was on a Prius forum that also used XenForo. For each member it showed their location, and the year and model of their car. Of course only if the member provided this information. This information was displayed below each member's name on every post, right below "Joined:"

It was extremely helpful, especially if someone was reporting a problem you could glance over and see what year it was. And of course the range discussions, you could see what part of the country they are located. Some people listed only their state, which is fine. I remember I listed Atlanta even though I live twenty miles outside of Atlanta, because as with most big cities no one has ever heard of the suburb that I live in.

We don't have that many different models, but we do get occasional EV and FCV members and it would be nice if that could be listed. And people could list Touring if they want to, as that is sometimes relevant in discussions.

The Prius forum had drop downs for the model and trim, but that requires someone to maintain that, I don't think it's necessary here, just some free text fields should be fine. My suggestion is to add:

Mine for example I would probably enter:

Vehicle: 2018 Touring

No need for me to list PHEV since that is assumed unless someone specifically lists EV or FCV

Well and maybe list Color: as it can be interesting to see what colors are popular. But if there isn't room for that it's certainly not a priority

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That will be great, even better is if they show the year and model. It should be possible because this forum uses XenForo forum software. For several years when I had my Prius I was on a Prius forum that also used XenForo. For each member it showed their location, and the year and model of their car. Of course only if the member provided this information. This information was displayed below each member's name on every post, right below "Joined:"

It was extremely helpful, especially if someone was reporting a problem you could glance over and see what year it was. And of course the range discussions, you could see what part of the country they are located. Some people listed only their state, which is fine. I remember I listed Atlanta even though I live twenty miles outside of Atlanta, because as with most big cities no one has ever heard of the suburb that I live in.

We don't have that many different models, but we do get occasional EV and FCV members and it would be nice if that could be listed. And people could list Touring if they want to, as that is sometimes relevant in discussions.

The Prius forum had drop downs for the model and trim, but that requires someone to maintain that, I don't think it's necessary here, just some free text fields should be fine. My suggestion is to add:

No need for me to list PHEV since that is assumed unless someone specifically lists EV or FCV

Well and maybe list Color: as it can be interesting to see what colors are popular. But if there isn't room for that it's certainly not a priority
I like your additional ideas 2002, more up front info will help to answer questions quickly and reduce unnecessary posts. Even though we are orphan owners, I plan on keeping mine another 3-4 years and I can see the need for this valuable forum to continue beyond that.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts

<raising hand, in agreement>

·
Registered
1 Posts
GREETINGS FROM SAN DIEGO!

My 2018 Clarity was purchased a yr ago. A full charge would result in about 39 miles of electric only driving. Suddenly starting this past week, a full charge nets about 32 miles of EV range.

Do you know if such degraded EV mileage is typical for Claritys? Also, have you ever heard of ways to regain EV range? (Driving habits, software upgrades etc?)

thanks for your time,

Michael
San Diego

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts
GREETINGS FROM SAN DIEGO!

My 2018 Clarity was purchased a yr ago. A full charge would result in about 39 miles of electric only driving. Suddenly starting this past week, a full charge nets about 32 miles of EV range.

Do you know if such degraded EV mileage is typical for Claritys? Also, have you ever heard of ways to regain EV range? (Driving habits, software upgrades etc?)

thanks for your time,

Michael
San Diego
Lithium battery capacity fluctuates somewhat with temperature. A capacity drop as temperatures drop outside of an optimal range, is normal, even in moderate climes, like So. CA. I'm in HB, CA, and a 10-15% range loss in Winter is my norm, for all lithium EVs and PHEVs. Fortunately for me, the "low" temps here (40s F at night) don't last long.

We're lucky to not live where it gets really cold, like the NE and our neighbors to the North. I'm also on a Chevy Bolt forum, and a 30-40% drop in range is commonly reported, as average temps get below freezing. Coupled with an increased need for cabin heat and defogging, a 50% loss of range is not unheard of, as the heating system in the Bolt (resistive heating of a circulating fluid) is exceptionally inefficient.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Crimson Red
9 Posts
My EV range is currently 53 Km (33 mi) which is down from 69-72 Km (43-45 mi) 5 months ago...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That seems a bit low to me for San Diego. I've been averaging a 37 mile charge for the past week on my 2019 Touring, with temps ranging from 25F-40F here in CT. In the Summer it may reach 50 miles. However, that doesn't necessarily mean I will go 37 miles; in our winters it will actually be closer to 32 miles. Keep in mind that it is only an estimate based on your most recent driving and is affected by ambient temperature, driving habits, and local terrain. You may want to have a battery capacity test done by your local dealer.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You may want to have a battery capacity test done by your local dealer.
Just as an FYI, not all dealers know how to check the HV battery capacity. In fact one person said that even though they tried to explain what battery they wanted tested, their dealer instead tested their 12V battery! So as odd as it seems you may have to explain to the dealer where they need to look in their system for the battery capacity. In the thread linked below there is a screenshot in the first post that has a picture of the screen in their system that they need to look at. Easiest way to handle this is to show the service writer the picture and say "I need the number shown here".

Some dealers have been known to charge for checking this, especially if that's all that you take the car in for. If you ask while the car is already in for service they seem less likely to try and charge you.

Even better is to check it yourself using a relatively inexpensive OBD-II reader and a free Bluetooth app that you install on your phone. Information about that is also discussed in the thread link below. Besides possibly saving money, this allows you to easily check the capacity on a regular basis (say once or twice a year) and you can then keep track of the capacity.

As mentioned in the thread, a new battery starts at 55 Ah. I first checked my battery capacity when my car was two years old and had 16,000 miles on it, and got a reading of 53.64 which seemed okay to me, and seemed to line up with reality as I was getting just slightly less electric range than when I got the car, but a barely noticeable difference. I recently checked it at 20,000 miles and it's 53.14. Just as a projection if it continues at this rate it will still have about 45 Ah at 100,000 miles, which would be about a 17% decrease from original capacity, which seems reasonable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got an OBD reader and Car Scanner to check my battery capacity. it is currently 43.58, which seems on the low side. My Guess-O-Meter range numbers have dropped from about mid 40s to mid 30s over the past three years, which is consistent with a 20% loss of battery capacity. Any recommendations?

2018 Clarity Base
~47,000 Miles, about 70% on suburban streets and 30% on freeway
Peoria, AZ (Suburb of Phoenix)
I've only ever used the Honda OEM 115V charger in my garage (that has an evap cooler to somewhat mitigate high temps)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I just got an OBD reader and Car Scanner to check my battery capacity. it is currently 43.58, which seems on the low side. My Guess-O-Meter range numbers have dropped from about mid 40s to mid 30s over the past three years, which is consistent with a 20% loss of battery capacity. Any recommendations?

2018 Clarity Base
~47,000 Miles, about 70% on suburban streets and 30% on freeway
Peoria, AZ (Suburb of Phoenix)
I've only ever used the Honda OEM 115V charger in my garage (that has an evap cooler to somewhat mitigate high temps)
That is extremely low, seems like the high temperatures where you live could be a factor. Good that you are able to charge in at least a little better environment. There are some theories that charging to only between 80-90% can help instead of charging to full. But that's not proven. But in an extreme temperature situation it might possibly help to avoid charging to full when you don't need a full charge.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Not sure if there are plans in work to make the requested change, if not I fully understand as it takes time to make these changes because the admin has to think of how much room there is for text in the available area, and also make sure that the additional text appears correctly on both the website and the mobile app.

In the meantime we can always work with what we have. There is a place in our profile to enter Location and Vehicle Details, but only Vehicle Details appears in postings. But the Vehicle Details field is free text so you can enter whatever you want. You can enter just the model, or model and color, or in my case I decided to try entering model and location. Sort of a kludge but the end result seems to look fine so for now I will give that a try.

On the website there are some restrictions in terms of text length that will be displayed. You have around 20 characters per line, depending on word size (the letter "l" takes up less space than other letters for example). And up to two lines, for about 40 characters in total. But you have to experiment to make sure that the line break occurs where you want. In my case if I enter:

2018 Touring Atlanta, GA

On the website it like this:

2018 Touring Atlanta,
GA

Which is not what I want.

Meanwhile member CLRITY has this displayed:

2020 Touring
Crimson Red

Even though "Crimson" is only 6 characters and "Atlanta," is 8 characters, I think it's because the letter "l" and the two t's in Atlanta make the word a little skinnier.

Entering extra spaces for padding doesn't work because the web page trims out extra spaces.

So to get around that I entered:

2018 Clarity Touring Atlanta, GA

and that formatted on the screen the way that I wanted:

2018 Clarity Touring
Atlanta, GA

However if someone with the Base model entered:

2020 Base

then it's almost guaranteed that the next word will be on the same line. But I found that if they enter:

2020 Clarity Base

then the next word will appear on the second line which is what you would want.

All of this looks fine on the mobile app because it just shows it as one string of text, in my case it displays on the mobile app as:

2018 Clarity Touring Atlanta, GA

Anyway people can do what they want and leave their profile as is, or modify it so that additional information appears in postings. As discussed it's helpful to other readers when people can see the location and vehicle type in posts. However one drawback to my kludge is that if the admin later does change it so that the Location field is displayed below Vehicle Type, then my posts will look kind of funny since my location will be displayed twice. Easy enough for me to edit later if that happens, but if the admin prefers us to only enter model and color in the Vehicle Type field that is fine, I will change mine back. But for the moment I will leave mine showing location just as an example of what it looks like.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for your useful post, 2002; it reminded me to modify my profile a bit.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Thanks, 2002!
I changed mine to PHEV like you and MPG+ and that seems to work. There are a small number of Clarity EV and FCV owners but that is becoming increasingly rare as leases expire, except for those who have extended their lease.

Then again I don't rule out that the Clarity nameplate will be used again in the future. The original Clarity was the FCX (fuel cell) from 2008 to 2014. It looked a bit different than our cars, no rear fender skirts for example. Then in 2016 the Clarity resurfaced with a redesigned fuel cell vehicle, followed by the EV and PHEV versions in 2018. The EV ended production in 2020, FCV and PHEV ended in 2021.

To be continued???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts