Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid Touring Modern Steel Metallic
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, fellow Clarity owners! I was perusing the AC threads to find out more about the issues that I had (needed a replacement condenser about a year after my recall repair), and stumbled upon a solution to prevent a possible radiator repair bill, called the ClarityScreen, which is from the company Voltshelf. I’m sure there are quite a few who have one installed, but I’m glad to have recently found it out and install it without too much issue.

The toughest issue for me was to get the provided zip ties to line up in the grills and holes that I wanted. I think it turned out pretty snazzy, in the end. The pictures below will show the installation:

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Land vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bumper

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Here’s the link for the ClarityScreen if you want to check it out:

Next, gonna update my Reviver RPlate Pro, as I’m getting that one replaced per warranty.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
Hello, fellow Clarity owners! I was perusing the AC threads to find out more about the issues that I had (needed a replacement condenser about a year after my recall repair), and stumbled upon a solution to prevent a possible radiator repair bill, called the ClarityScreen, which is from the company Voltshelf. I’m sure there are quite a few who have one installed, but I’m glad to have recently found it out and install it without too much issue.

The toughest issue for me was to get the provided twist ties to line up in the grills and holes that I wanted. I think it turned out pretty snazzy, in the end. The pictures below will show the installation:

View attachment 937
View attachment 940
View attachment 939
View attachment 938

Here’s the link for the ClarityScreen if you want to check it out:

Next, gonna update my Reviver RPlate Pro, as I’m getting that one replaced per warranty.
I installed one several months ago. Learned about them on one of the other threads that mentioned them. Many of us are wishing that the maker would craft one to fit the smaller intake, left-adjacent to the bigger one...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed one several months ago. Learned about them on one of the other threads that mentioned them. Many of us are wishing that the maker would craft one to fit the smaller intake, left-adjacent to the bigger one...
It’s been a godsend so far! I’m not sure if anyone has driven along Palm Dr./N. Gene Autry Trail in Palm Springs (from the 10 fwy, traveling south to E. Vista Chino), but when I drove through there a couple of times at night a few days ago, winds must have been blowing at around 70-80mph! No harm to the ClarityScreen or radiator!

I’ve written to Mr. O’Hara about your request for more protection of the other intake(s), and requested there can be a screen that’s made, with little strips of 3M-type tape so the intake screens can stay in place! (Either on top or on the sides, or both). Hopefully this will come to fruition in the near future…

Reactions: Madmartigen

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently purchased and installed the mesh UpperScreen a couple days ago to cover the grills to the right and left of the Honda logo. Here’s how it went:

Firstly, this was NOT how to install it
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Grille Vehicle

Stephen gave me instructions after I was wondering why I didn’t see any originally (maybe subsequent orders can share what I’m about to right now): edited

These screens are meant to be installed behind the grill. To get them in back there, you need to remove the plastic cover tray just inside the hood opening. Generally this is secured by plastic push fasteners and/or a few screws or bolts. Once this is out of the way, you should have access to get them in, position them, and get a hand back there to help with the plastic ties.

Here is a link to a Youtube video that shows how to remove this piece about 3 minutes into it. This should be very helpful.
The video was a huge help, and the toughest thing was pulling up the cover with enough force to pull it up; but also keep the tabs from breaking! Once you do that, though, everything else in pretty much a breeze, in my opinion.

Pics of the install in action:

Gun accessory Composite material Gun barrel Engineering Machine

Cover off! Took a few minutes to get off

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Vehicle

Hand Hood Wood Grille Flooring

Interestingly, this is the way I chose to install the passenger side (driver’s side is flipped 180 degrees)

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Car Automotive lighting

Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Finished it!

Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

Was able to install my replacement RPlate Pro as well. 🙂

Attachments

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
3 Posts
And that looks great! The upper screen set is so new that I haven't had the chance to write the instructions yet, But that above is sounds like it might be all that is needed in combination with the video. I'm glad you like these, and I'm glad we finally have an option for the upper grill.

Steve

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
Antd that looks great! The upper screen set is so new that I haven't had the chance to write the instructions yet, But that above is sounds like it might be all that is needed in combination with the video. I'm glad you like these, and I'm glad we finally have an option for the upper grill.

Steve
I didn't see the UpperScreen mentioned on your website, unless I was not looking in the right place?

We could also use a screen for the opening in the lower left bumper (driver side) where the radiator that is behind it is completely exposed. Shown with an arrow in the photo below.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting

I know this opening is a challenge to create a screen for since there is no existing grill to tie the screen onto, so it would probably require putting a couple of screws into the bumper, although it looks like the screws could be in an area that is not visible.

The current screens that you provide are helpful even though for the most part the radiators in these areas already have fairly good protection. Besides the main grill which has about 7/8" openings, the radiator has a plastic guard on it with what looks to be about 1/4" openings (the narrowest dimension).

Automotive tire Product Automotive lighting Font Rim

The Clarity screen that you provide has I think about 7/16" openings so it does add some extra protection, although I would think the existing plastic guard would probably stop most damaging rocks. But still better safe than sorry.

Although the existing plastic guards only cover a certain amount of the radiator, mainly protecting from a rock coming straight in. On the lower part of the radiator that is not directly behind the grills the existing plastic guard ends and there is some exposed radiator. However a rock would have to be coming down at a pretty specific exact angle around 45 degrees or so to pass through the 7/8" front grill and hit this lower exposed section of the radiator. Could happen, but probably less likely than a straight-in hit, I suppose that's why Honda decided not to protect that area. But again better safe than sorry.

In the photo below taken through the upper grill opening (where the UpperScreen is installed), the camera is pointing downwards showing the exposed area below the plastic guard.

Grille Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood

The radiator behind the lower grill (where the ClarityScreen is installed) has a similar exposed area, a fairly narrow strip that a rock coming down at a 45 degrees could in theory hit.

Grille Automotive tire Rectangle Automotive design Automotive exterior

However the radiator behind the opening in the lower left bumper is completely exposed, not having either a plastic guard on it or even a main grill out in front. As seen in the photo below. This is not a downward angled photo, this is straight in. Any rock coming straight in has a clear shot at this radiator. However since the this opening is pretty close to the ground maybe a straight in shot is less likely. Maybe that's why Honda felt that no protection was necessary, I don't know.

Grille Building Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your comments, 2002! The new upper screens are not yet on my website. They are brand new, and I have them in stock, but I've been so busy that I have not had a minute to update the website. These are $60 for the pair, including shipping.

I've looked at the small inlet on the driver's side of the car multiple times. There is no way to screen that off without drilling holes in the bumper cover, screwing into it, or taking the bumper cover off completely and possibly disassembling other things in there. And these are pretty much non-starters for 95% of car owners out there. One simple observation from my chair is that, while there is understandabel concern about this radiator being unprotected, I have yet to hear of this one being punctured. Given all of that, this is a much lower priority for folks as I see it.

There have been PLENTY of punctures of the radiator behind the center grills. Yes, that guard is in there, and yes, it must be a help, but it isn't doing the job all that well. Coolant tubes are still exposed, and there are sections that are not protected by it at all as you pointed out. Unfortuately, rocks don't always fly a straight path, so just protecting straight behind the open grill area isn't enough. Rocks fly a curved path, rocks deflect off of the grill and go in every which direction, and rocks can bounce off of other parts of the car into the cooling tubes. And for all the rocks that get in there, it only takes one cause the problem. A ClarityScreen keeps the rocks out of there in the first place. The new upper pieces complete the protection

I really don't want to sound like an ambulance chaser. I've been making these screens for cars for 10 years now. For some reason, cars like the Chevy Volt, Honda Clarity, Toyota RAV 4, Kia Telluride, Subaru Ascent and Outback, and a good number more, seem to be far more prone to this issue than others. Could be ride height in addition to a more open grill, could be a subtle function of the car's aerodynamics, could be they are putting rock magnets in them???

Regardless, I'm here to help. These essenially an insurance policy against having an expenisve, inconvinent radiator puncture. And there is no correllation that I've ever seen with this issue and what roads you drive on, speed, miles driven per year, or any other disticts possible factor. It is just a random thing. Some folks go 200K miles with no issues. I've talked to 3 people this week already about having had 3 and 4 radiatiors punctured over the past 3 years.

HTH!

Steve

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Antd that looks great! The upper screen set is so new that I haven't had the chance to write the instructions yet, But that above is sounds like it might be all that is needed in combination with the video. I'm glad you like these, and I'm glad we finally have an option for the upper grill.

Steve
Totally understand about the product being so new, especially if it might not be available on the site yet!

I didn’t even notice the driver side exposed area until @2002 pointed it out! Here are my thoughts:

1. The driver side lower grill screen can be called “LowerScreen”. (Far stretch, huh? 😆)

2. I think the LowerScreen, once created, will not necessitate drilling into the bumper.

3. Pic of the grill area:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Motor vehicle Rim

4. I think if a mesh can be created, it can be easily finagled into the lower grill opening, without having to drill into anything.

I’m sure Clarity owners would like to have a LowerScreen!

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: EV Nerd

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
Totally understand about the product being so new, especially if it might not be available on the site yet!

I didn’t even notice the driver side exposed area until @2002 pointed it out! Here are my thoughts:

1. The driver side lower grill screen can be called “LowerScreen”. (Far stretch, huh? 😆)

2. I think the LowerScreen, once created, will not necessitate drilling into the bumper.

3. Pic of the grill area:

View attachment 997

4. I think if a mesh can be created, it can be easily finagled into the lower grill opening, without having to drill into anything.

I’m sure Clarity owners would like to have a LowerScreen!
I can understand Steve's situation, any product that he makes needs to be something that anyone would be able to install. Your idea might work, maybe Steve could send you a small section of the screen material of whatever size you think you need, at a price that at least covers his cost including shipping and handling. Don't want to put Steve on the spot so probably best to contact him directly and see if that's possible for him to send you a piece of the screen. Then you could try it out and let him know the results. It's possible that in order to keep it securely in place you would need to attach it somehow, keeping in mind that Steve would only be able to produce one for sale if it can be easily installed and will be securely attached so that there is no chance of it coming loose and coming into contact with the radiator. I tend to think that for that location screws would be the only way to do this, if so you could determine if there is easy access to install screws. Unless you can come up with a way to keep it secure without screws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts