Honda Clarity Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
If I was adding extra weight for an emergency, I'd go with a spare tire. Gas stations are pretty regular on a trip. And they have bathrooms. I just got back from a 3000 mile trip with a leaky tire. I had to pump it up every morning and on long days again in the afternoon.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
165 Posts
Extra fuel or spare tire, excellent considerations. I didn't expect her to miss the low fuel warning. The newer red plastic fuel cans don't smell up the cabin anymore. I offered to set up a spare but she said she needed the trunk space. We're AAA premier members so towing long distance is not an issue, just got nervous with the thread about ATF cooler damage after a tow. Other option was to go to Norwalk America's Tire, mount the Driveguard, drive to her, and swap out the flat. BUT she was driving home Sunday and America's Tire is closed on Sundays....

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
Extra fuel or spare tire, excellent considerations. I didn't expect her to miss the low fuel warning. The newer red plastic fuel cans don't smell up the cabin anymore. I offered to set up a spare but she said she needed the trunk space. We're AAA premier members so towing long distance is not an issue, just got nervous with the thread about ATF cooler damage after a tow. Other option was to go to Norwalk America's Tire, mount the Driveguard, drive to her, and swap out the flat. BUT she was driving home Sunday and America's Tire is closed on Sundays....
I got a spare OEM tire and wheel for my Bolt, from a wreck, thoroughly Armor-Alled it, covered it well, and store it outside, at home. The wife got a flat, a few months later, from a significant road hazard that destroyed the tire. I had the AAA guy tow the Bolt home, and then slipped him a twenty to swap the flat with the spare. He was happy to do it. Took all of five minutes. I then took my time getting a new tire put on the wheel, and had the tire shop swap them back out. The spare wheel has some cosmetic damage, otherwise I would have left it on. I bought it, with the tire, from a repair depot for $50. Score!

A spare doesn't necessarily need to be carried in the vehicle, to provide some utility.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Carrying around 5 gallons in the passenger compartment is not a wonderful idea. 7 gallons gets you almost 300 miles. With the full charge you should get closer to 330 or more. For most non-hybrid vehicles 300 per tank was the number that the automakers were using until a few years ago. Of course for anyone on this board that had a hybrid previously the number can get to 500 miles (and I certainly got spoiled by my Prius Prime). Filling stations are pretty much everywhere, and even after hours most of them leave the pumps on if you use a card.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
Carrying around 5 gallons in the passenger compartment is not a wonderful idea. 7 gallons gets you almost 300 miles. With the full charge you should get closer to 330 or more. For most non-hybrid vehicles 300 per tank was the number that the automakers were using until a few years ago. Of course for anyone on this board that had a hybrid previously the number can get to 500 miles (and I certainly got spoiled by my Prius Prime). Filling stations are pretty much everywhere, and even after hours most of them leave the pumps on if you use a card.
My reply about putting 5 gal in the trunk was in response to someone saying the Clarity PHEV had a less-than-stellar combined range. If someone is driving where there aren't gas stations every 200 miles or so, it could certainly solve a problem. I wouldn't make it a habit, though. I'm hesitant to even keep gasoline in my garage. I have noticed that unlike previous gas containers I've owned, my new one is very air-tight, and is currently holding some $3 a gallon gas. I've enjoyed a petroleum-odor-free garage for about twenty years, now. The Clarity PHEV is in the driveway. My wife's Bolt lives in the garage.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
165 Posts
My wife complained she ran out of charge and gas with both about full. (Maybe 10 mi of electricity used, within roughly 250 mi. Of course when we were driving to Vegas? (forgot the destination) once she complained to me why she felt resistance to reach 100 MPH. (I told her that's self preservation).....

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is nothing inherently wrong with overwriting values; CSS was designed to do just that. Still, inheriting incorrect values is unhelpful and can be burdensome and inefficient. It can also lead to increased style specificity when you have to overwrite styles to reset them back to their defaults, something that may cause issues later on, especially if you are using a combination of bespoke CSS and utility classes [URL REMOVED] We won’t be able to use a utility class for a style that has been reset with a higher specificity.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a ModernSpare spare for my wife's Clarity. It sat in the footwell behind the driver's seat in the ModernSpare bag all the way across the US this spring, taking up zero trunk space. Normally it rides in the trunk. Having to wait for a tow truck is not my idea of fun, and even in large cities it can still take an hour or more for a tow truck to show up.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
I have a ModernSpare spare for my wife's Clarity. It sat in the footwell behind the driver's seat in the ModernSpare bag all the way across the US this spring, taking up zero trunk space. Normally it rides in the trunk. Having to wait for a tow truck is not my idea of fun, and even in large cities it can still take an hour or more for a tow truck to show up.
One of my concerns is that the outer diameter of the compact spare tire is significantly different from the tires on the Clarity.

When replacing a flat on the front, a rear wheel/tire must be shifted to the front, and the compact spare placed on the back (non-drive) wheel, before driving it on the compact spare. If the flat is on the back, simply replace it with the compact spare.

This is to protect the drive train in the front drive wheels from the wheels spinning at significantly different rates for an extended time. Allowing it to do so can damage the drive train. This is not only a problem with the Clarity. It can be a problem with compact spares on other EVs and ICE vehicles as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
One of my concerns is that the outer diameter of the compact spare tire is significantly different from the tires on the Clarity.

When replacing a flat on the front, a rear wheel/tire must be shifted to the front, and the compact spare placed on the back (non-drive) wheel, before driving it on the compact spare. If the flat is on the back, simply replace it with the compact spare.

This is to protect the drive train in the front drive wheels from the wheels spinning at significantly different rates for an extended time. Allowing it to do so can damage the drive train. This is not only a problem with the Clarity. It can be a problem with compact spares on other EVs and ICE vehicles as well.
Definitely a problem. Subaru goes so far as to document that the donut spare must only be put on the rear axle.

Reactions: Madmartigen
21 - 30 of 30 Posts