Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I have noticed the trunk will not close and lock after shutting it from park.

I'd come up to the car (locked), and press on the trunk release button or the trunk switch on the back and open it up.

Then, when I close the trunk, the car beeps, flashes and pops open.
I do this many times and it won't close/lock.

I then shuffle some items in the trunk and it closes.

The trunk is relatively empty - just some tools, charge cord, shopping bags, etc...

Anyone have the same experience ??

·
Registered
624 Posts
Recently, I have noticed the trunk will not close and lock after shutting it from park.

I'd come up to the car (locked), and press on the trunk release button or the trunk switch on the back and open it up.

Then, when I close the trunk, the car beeps, flashes and pops open.
I do this many times and it won't close/lock.

I then shuffle some items in the trunk and it closes.

The trunk is relatively empty - just some tools, charge cord, shopping bags, etc...

Anyone have the same experience ??
I think I remember someone had a similar problem and they figured out that the trunk sensor somehow thinks that the key fob is inside the trunk, so it is protecting you from locking the fob in the trunk. They solved it by keeping the fob farther away from the trunk when they closed it. I'm not saying it makes sense as you may have your key fob in the same pocket you always do, but maybe the sensor can at times be over sensitive. As an experiment try placing the fob away from the trunk then see if it will now close.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've found that the trunk proximity sensor can be temperamental and will not recognize my fob if I approach the trunk from the right. It will work perfectly if I come at it from directly behind or from the left, but if I'm too close to the left side of the vehicle - as in "jumping out of the driver's door and heading to the trunk" - I'll often get the "multiple beep" warning. If I exit the same way but do NOT cross behind the trunk, no warning is given.

·
Super Moderator
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You were correct - it was key fob too close to the left side of the car rear.

As soon as I moved the fob away, it closed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
On the day I took delivery of my new Clarity when I went to leave the trunk would not lock. It would close and lock and then beep and pop back open. The dealership sent a man out but nobody really knew much about the Clarity. It was the only one they had sold. After some research it was discovered that in the packet I received with all the paperwork and such that I had tossed in the trunk was a spare key fob. Because that was in the trunck it would not lock. Has worked well since. Somehow your trunk sensor is picking up your fob, I would guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts