Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often should we replace transmission fluid if using mostly electric?
I have a 2018 Honda Clarity with about 48k miles using mostly EV. I took my car to the dealer for A01 maintenance and they recommended to replace transmission fluid at 30k interval. I could be wrong but I opted out coz I feel 30k would be if I’m using gas most of the time.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
How often should we replace transmission fluid if using mostly electric?
I have a 2018 Honda Clarity with about 48k miles using mostly EV. I took my car to the dealer for A01 maintenance and they recommended to replace transmission fluid at 30k interval. I could be wrong but I opted out coz I feel 30k would be if I’m using gas most of the time.

Any thoughts?
Transmission fluid change is code 3 on the minder, you won't get that code until the car is six years old. The Clarity doesn't have an actual transmission, the transmission fluid is used for other things which as far as I know includes running EV, so I don't think gas vs electric driving will make any difference on the maintenance interval for transmission fluid, unlike the engine oil which is used only when the engine is running. The maintenance minder seems to pop up code A for oil change every six to seven thousand miles regardless of whether most of those miles are EV. For that reason many people (myself included) ignore the oil change message and just change the oil once a year, which is the minimum specified in the owners manual.

If you want to see when future maintenance items will be popping up you can do that with an OBD-II reader, the same reader and software that people have been using to check battery capacity. The one that seems to work best with Clarity is just over $30 on Amazon, it's the VGate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 OBD-II reader. You just plug it into the OBD-II port under your dash, then download the free Car Scanner app to your phone. When you launch Car Scanner for the first time you specify that you have a Clarity. Car Scanner has a lot of features but you don't have to use them, just click on "All Sensors" and you will get a long list of items including items identified as specifically for Clarity. Look for Battery Capacity, which is 55 Ah on a new Clarity, your number will be lower indicating how much battery capacity has been lost. Numbers in the high 40's is pretty typical. You can also scroll through the list and see the expected Maintenance Minder due dates. And about a hundred other items, some interesting, some not.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
246 Posts
I follow the maintenance minder. Every 0 one is supposed to check the transmission fluid level. I'm afraid I do not have a flat driveway so I haven't. As kindly noted 3 is the number for transmission fluid change, which at 57,xxx mi we haven't reached yet.

For me, oil changes are called for at 11,2xx mi roughly. (I think the last one was at 11,1xx mi). If you don't get a message for A in one year's time from the last oil change change it at 1 year. (We're getting more than 11,2xx per year so it's earlier). If you research carefully about oil capacity dry vs oil fill during an oil change you'd realize that a good amount of old oil is left after draining, at least in my opinion. Please do not skimp out if the system asks for an oil change prior to 1 year change it, then reset A...

I'm debating on using a different fluid than Honda DW-1, but not sure yet that I will....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I follow the maintenance minder. Every 0 one is supposed to check the transmission fluid level. I'm afraid I do not have a flat driveway so I haven't. As kindly noted 3 is the number for transmission fluid change, which at 57,xxx mi we haven't reached yet.

For me, oil changes are called for at 11,2xx mi roughly. (I think the last one was at 11,1xx mi). If you don't get a message for A in one year's time from the last oil change change it at 1 year. (We're getting more than 11,2xx per year so it's earlier). If you research carefully about oil capacity dry vs oil fill during an oil change you'd realize that a good amount of old oil is left after draining, at least in my opinion. Please do not skimp out if the system asks for an oil change prior to 1 year change it, then reset A...
Code A will pop up after one year if nothing else triggers it earlier. The problem is that code A can be triggered earlier than one year by other codes. For example code 1 is tire rotation, but you never seem to see code 1 by itself, seems like it's always A01. It's the equivalent of taking your car into the dealer for tire rotation, and the dealer says, "You aren't due for an oil change just yet, but since you're here do you want us to do it now so you don't have to bring it back in?" You can decline of course. The problem is the minder doesn't explain it that way, when people see code A they assume it's because it is due. They don't realize that you can decline, which interestingly you can do with the minder by resetting just code 1, in which case it will often reset code A, unless it was actually due then code A will remain by itself.

The problem is the minder doesn't seem to factor in EV miles for oil change. Many people including myself drive mostly EV with not a lot of HV miles. In many cases the minder is telling people to change their oil after only a couple thousand miles of gas driving, just because their total miles including EV had reached a certain level. There is no reason with the synthetic oil that we use in our cars to change the oil in less than a year after just a couple thousand miles of engine use. From an oil change perspective, days when the car is driven only in EV are no different than days when the car sits in the garage all day. It would be as if someone owned two cars, one a daily driver, the other just a weekend car. But they determined their oil change interval for the weekend car by adding up the total mileage of both cars. You would say that doesn't make sense, but that's what the minder seems to be doing in many cases by including EV miles in the calculation for oil change.

What myself and several other people do is track our gas miles. It's pretty easy to do, just keep your gas receipts and log the number of gallons purchased. Multiply the gallons used by 42 mpg or whatever number you want to use, and that gives you a pretty good ballpark estimate of how many gas miles you have driven, which can then be used to determine oil change frequency. In my case I'm driving about 3,000 gas miles a year, so I change the oil once a year and ignore any code A messages that I get earlier than that.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
246 Posts
I agree the maintenance minder sometimes pops up items together as a package. We drive a significant amount and are able to reach the 11,200 mi prior to 1 year. The trick I've found is to keep track of what is needed by mileage in our case because we do drive a lot. When a package list is displayed as "Due Now", I only do the one I know is actually due.
Example: A 0 1 was last due, I knew 11k or so mi had been driven since last oil change, so I changed the oil and reset ONLY A. After the maintenance minder says next service due in 2 Months. The prior time I reset only A, it said next service due in 1 Month. (Now my son mostly drives in EV mode and it seems fixed on 8 weeks.) 8 was added in the interim, so I expect to see 0 1 8 next maintenance due....

That's not bad if DW-1 fluid change only costs about $20 in fluid. Thank you for that info. I'm curious what I'll find when I look up Honda DW-1 MSDS or SDS. I guess I'm curious if there's possibly anything better....

I wish I had a nice level floor to work on the transmission....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree the maintenance minder sometimes pops up items together as a package. We drive a significant amount and are able to reach the 11,200 mi prior to 1 year. The trick I've found is to keep track of what is needed by mileage in our case because we do drive a lot. When a package list is displayed as "Due Now", I only do the one I know is actually due.
Example: A 0 1 was last due, I knew 11k or so mi had been driven since last oil change, so I changed the oil and reset ONLY A. After the maintenance minder says next service due in 2 Months. The prior time I reset only A, it said next service due in 1 Month. (Now my son mostly drives in EV mode and it seems fixed on 8 weeks.) 8 was added in the interim, so I expect to see 0 1 8 next maintenance due....

That's not bad if DW-1 fluid change only costs about $20 in fluid. Thank you for that info. I'm curious what I'll find when I look up Honda DW-1 MSDS or SDS. I guess I'm curious if there's possibly anything better....

I wish I had a nice level floor to work on the transmission....
You should try monitoring the minder items via OBD, I think you will find it interesting because it is a lot more detailed and future looking than the limited information that you get on the infotainment screen. You can see what is coming up and when, but you can also check it say weekly or monthly to see what has changed, because some of the future due dates change if they are based partly on mileage, compared to the ones based solely on the calendar where the due date remains steady over time. By regular monitoring you can begin to at least somewhat figure out what it is doing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Code A will pop up after one year if nothing else triggers it earlier. The problem is that code A can be triggered earlier than one year by other codes. For example code 1 is tire rotation, but you never seem to see code 1 by itself, seems like it's always A01. It's the equivalent of taking your car into the dealer for tire rotation, and the dealer says, "You aren't due for an oil change just yet, but since you're here do you want us to do it now so you don't have to bring it back in?" You can decline of course. The problem is the minder doesn't explain it that way, when people see code A they assume it's because it is due. They don't realize that you can decline, which interestingly you can do with the minder by resetting just code 1, in which case it will often reset code A, unless it was actually due then code A will remain by itself.
This is why I'm convinced the Maintenance Minder isn't designed to ensure optimal maintenance but rather dealership service department income.

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Transmission fluid change is code 3 on the minder, you won't get that code until the car is six years old. The Clarity doesn't have an actual transmission, the transmission fluid is used for other things which as far as I know includes running EV, so I don't think gas vs electric driving will make any difference on the maintenance interval for transmission fluid, unlike the engine oil which is used only when the engine is running. The maintenance minder seems to pop up code A for oil change every six to seven thousand miles regardless of whether most of those miles are EV. For that reason many people (myself included) ignore the oil change message and just change the oil once a year, which is the minimum specified in the owners manual.

If you want to see when future maintenance items will be popping up you can do that with an OBD-II reader, the same reader and software that people have been using to check battery capacity. The one that seems to work best with Clarity is just over $30 on Amazon, it's the VGate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 OBD-II reader. You just plug it into the OBD-II port under your dash, then download the free Car Scanner app to your phone. When you launch Car Scanner for the first time you specify that you have a Clarity. Car Scanner has a lot of features but you don't have to use them, just click on "All Sensors" and you will get a long list of items including items identified as specifically for Clarity. Look for Battery Capacity, which is 55 Ah on a new Clarity, your number will be lower indicating how much battery capacity has been lost. Numbers in the high 40's is pretty typical. You can also scroll through the list and see the expected Maintenance Minder due dates. And about a hundred other items, some interesting, some not.
Just a note: I bought the VGate iCar Pro BLE 4.0 OBD-II code reader and downloaded the app on my iphone. when I tried to link the app to the code reader I got a message saying it was not available to the iphone. I ended up sending it back. Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts