Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2018 Clarity, and upon getting it home in my driveway, realized that the tires have been replaced with Goodyear Eagle LS-2's. My question- how big of a MPG/EV range hit should I expect with "normal" touring all-seasons vs the OEM Michelin Energy Savers? The Goodyears are brand new, so I'm probably not going to run out and grab a $1000 set of Energy Savers.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 Clarity, and upon getting it home in my driveway, realized that the tires have been replaced with Goodyear Eagle LS-2's. My question- how big of a MPG/EV range hit should I expect with "normal" touring all-seasons vs the OEM Michelin Energy Savers? The Goodyears are brand new, so I'm probably not going to run out and grab a $1000 set of Energy Savers.
In my experience, using other than the LRR OEM tires on an EV can result in anywhere from 0-15% in range loss. It really depends on the replacement tire. You'll never make up the difference in cost of a new set of tires vs increased range while they're on the vehicle, and if you've got a PHEV, it won't radically alter the usability of the car. Over-inflating them a bit can help with range loss, but can result in a harsher ride. I'd experiment at 35-40 psi (but NOT above the sidewall maximum), rather than the "traditional" 32 psi. Having your own compressor will help. It's a trade-off.

You might find you prefer the softer, more quiet ride of the Goodyears, and can suck up the range loss. But then again, you don't have the OEMs to compare with...

·
Super Moderator
471 Posts
Maybe the Goodyears will outlast the OEM tires which will save you money down the road.

I have driven on a set of the OEM Michelins and have to say the ride quality has been acceptable but not the greatest in tire wear.
They look like replacement time at 36,000 miles currently.
For their "green" and LRR features, the low miles on this set has told me to look at another brand...

I am looking for a replacement set now....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts