Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rotated the tires and reset the maintenance reminder. Then I thought: Should I now also recalibrate the TPMS or is it automatically included?

Thank you for your thoughts!

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
657 Posts
Just rotated the tires and reset the maintenance reminder. Then I thought: Should I now also recalibrate the TPMS or is it automatically included?

Thank you for your thoughts!
I'm not sure why you would need to re-calibrate the TPMS. I don't think it provides information that is tire-location-specific, and IIRC, it works by comparing rotation speed of the four wheels. A tire that's low on pressure (compared to the others) has an effectively smaller diameter than the others, and will consistently rotate at a higher rate. (I wrote "consistently" because when turning, the tires will rotate at different rates, but temporarily.)

Using the tire-rotation-speed method for TPMS is probably cheaper than actually providing individual tire pressures, because the hardware to measure tire rotation is already in place, for the ABS and traction control systems.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would recalibrate the TPMS as a matter of course. In the Clarity it's drop dead simple and is done via the infotainment system.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I had tires rotated at a store, I would immediately reset the maintenance minder as/before I left the driveway. Not knowing exactly what was done inside the vehicle nor with the tire pressures, next morning I'd adjust them and then recalibrate.

I have rotated the tires by myself a few times now maybe once or twice not even waiting for the maintenance reminder, total maybe 4 or 5 rotations. Each time I would reset the reminder and then if I remembered recalibrate the TPMS.

I am curious, as Honda could have automatically set it to recalbrate. I agree the system is crude in that it doesn't provide the user specific wheel information, no individual tire pressures and no pointing out which tire went flat. Whether it can determine a multiple flat tire situation appears to be still up in the air as there are reports and my personal experience of false alarms. (I am running 30 PSI nowadays, and when I initially started dropping it from the placard 36 due to prominent center of tread wear I got one of my falses, even though I did recalbrate right after each tire pressure drop).

Though the system does not provide individual tire data to the user, I believe it uses individual tire data in it's calculations. It may be (very) minute but the treadwear of each tire/corner is different. This tire rotation I rotated in a left <-> right pattern based on treadwear read by an Autel TBE200, attached if you're curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
657 Posts
BTW, I put my own TPMS system on the car, and so far, it works great. It's valve-stem-based, and reports pressures for each tire individually. As a bonus, it's got a USB charging socket on the side of the display. The display can plug into the "accessory plug" under the console.

Somebody else here recommended it, so I can't take credit for finding it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts