Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2018 plug in hybrid 28k miles front tires need to be replaced rear tires still good All OEM Michelin energy savers Can I put two new Continental Pure Grip on rear and rotate the OEM tires to the front

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts
I have 2018 plug in hybrid 28k miles front tires need to be replaced rear tires still good All OEM Michelin energy savers Can I put two new Continental Pure Grip on rear and rotate the OEM tires to the front
Keeping the same model and age of tires on the same axle will help minimize some issues. Your range will probably take a hit.

What I'm not certain of is what potential issues could result by having different grip capabilities on the fore and aft axles when cornering. Could result in being loose (oversteer) or pushing (understeer) in corners.

·
Super Moderator
526 Posts
You should get all 4 tires the same and in the same condition (new).

Running 2 different sets will change handling as well as wear.

I am also replacing my original Michelin set with run flat (RFT) tires so that I don't have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road...

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts
You should get all 4 tires the same and in the same condition (new).

Running 2 different sets will change handling as well as wear.

I am also replacing my original Michelin set with run flat (RFT) tires so that I don't have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road...
Replacing all four at the same time will always be the safest choice. The trick is to rotate the tires regularly so they wear at the same rate, so that replacing them all at the same time makes sense. Replacing tires that still have a lot of unused tread on them is a difficult decision, especially when funds are tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put two Goodyear Eagle LS 2 on front in February and kept the original Michelins on rear. Goodyear Eagle LS 2 | 235/45R18 | Mavis Discount Tire Mavis was selling these with $124 at that time. 7 months later, I don't see any issue. The 2 replaced Michelins were beyond usable after 3 NY winters, but the remaining ones were pretty good - still are. After these are worn out, I will complete the set to 4 Goodyears. The Michelins are way too expensive and pretty useless on snow. I had the originals rotated a couple of times but could not help with two of them ending very slick and two still in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Many people on this site have discussed the option of using run-flat tires when considering replacement tires for their Clarity. While run-flat tires are certainly an option and common in use among many manufacturers, there are pros and cons one should know about and consider; especially when considering use with an EV type vehicle. This article from Edmunds does a good job of laying out the case.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just posted about my new Pirelli tires (Cinturato P7 All Season +2 in the original size 235/45 R18). Actual measured mileage is unchanged, ride is MUCH better, very quiet and the car handles great. Just $683 delivered from TireRack....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I concur with Pirelli tires (Cinturato P7 All Season +2 in the original size 235/45 R18 - had these on my MB E-250 and loved them and they have made a significant ride and noise improvement over a brand new set of Goodyear LS2's. We have discount tire and the price with the discount was $852.01 mounted with hazard replacement out the door. According to Tire Rack in my opinion these are the best in class.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts