Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2018 plug in hybrid 28k miles front tires need to be replaced rear tires still good All OEM Michelin energy savers Can I put two new Continental Pure Grip on rear and rotate the OEM tires to the front

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
I have 2018 plug in hybrid 28k miles front tires need to be replaced rear tires still good All OEM Michelin energy savers Can I put two new Continental Pure Grip on rear and rotate the OEM tires to the front
Keeping the same model and age of tires on the same axle will help minimize some issues. Your range will probably take a hit.

What I'm not certain of is what potential issues could result by having different grip capabilities on the fore and aft axles when cornering. Could result in being loose (oversteer) or pushing (understeer) in corners.

· Super Moderator
696 Posts
You should get all 4 tires the same and in the same condition (new).

Running 2 different sets will change handling as well as wear.

I am also replacing my original Michelin set with run flat (RFT) tires so that I don't have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road...

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
You should get all 4 tires the same and in the same condition (new).

Running 2 different sets will change handling as well as wear.

I am also replacing my original Michelin set with run flat (RFT) tires so that I don't have to worry about being stranded on the side of the road...
Replacing all four at the same time will always be the safest choice. The trick is to rotate the tires regularly so they wear at the same rate, so that replacing them all at the same time makes sense. Replacing tires that still have a lot of unused tread on them is a difficult decision, especially when funds are tight.

· Registered
2 Posts
I put two Goodyear Eagle LS 2 on front in February and kept the original Michelins on rear. Goodyear Eagle LS 2 | 235/45R18 | Mavis Discount Tire Mavis was selling these with $124 at that time. 7 months later, I don't see any issue. The 2 replaced Michelins were beyond usable after 3 NY winters, but the remaining ones were pretty good - still are. After these are worn out, I will complete the set to 4 Goodyears. The Michelins are way too expensive and pretty useless on snow. I had the originals rotated a couple of times but could not help with two of them ending very slick and two still in pretty good shape.

· Registered
54 Posts
Many people on this site have discussed the option of using run-flat tires when considering replacement tires for their Clarity. While run-flat tires are certainly an option and common in use among many manufacturers, there are pros and cons one should know about and consider; especially when considering use with an EV type vehicle. This article from Edmunds does a good job of laying out the case.

· Registered
23 Posts
I just posted about my new Pirelli tires (Cinturato P7 All Season +2 in the original size 235/45 R18). Actual measured mileage is unchanged, ride is MUCH better, very quiet and the car handles great. Just $683 delivered from TireRack....HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

· Registered
11 Posts
I concur with Pirelli tires (Cinturato P7 All Season +2 in the original size 235/45 R18 - had these on my MB E-250 and loved them and they have made a significant ride and noise improvement over a brand new set of Goodyear LS2's. We have discount tire and the price with the discount was $852.01 mounted with hazard replacement out the door. According to Tire Rack in my opinion these are the best in class.

· Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
348 Posts
Bridgestone Driveguards (RFT) since there is no spare is my vote.

My wife's experience not watching the instrument cluster/missed the warning tone!

· Registered
731 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
When I had to replace one tire (11,000 miles on the set) The tire shop couldn't find the replacement for the Clarity. They found the same tire, but listed for a Ford. they put it on. I don't know if there is any difference, except the sidewall near the bead is different.

· Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,090 Posts
When I had to replace one tire (11,000 miles on the set) The tire shop couldn't find the replacement for the Clarity. They found the same tire, but listed for a Ford. they put it on. I don't know if there is any difference, except the sidewall near the bead is different.
The replacement tire was Michelin Energy Saver A/S 235/45R18 94V like the originals?

· Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,090 Posts
Yes, but the item description indicated a Ford replacement. The Honda replacement was backordered with no availability at present.
The reason that I asked is because I had a tire replaced at Costco, same exact tire but as you indicated the bead is different. In fact it's much better, the original tires are flush with the wheels and thus incredibly easy to get curb rash just by barely brushing up against a curb. The new tire has sort of a lip right near the bead which sticks out more like a normal tire and provides a lot better protection against curb rash. One theory I read is that Michelin makes a different version for OEM vs. retail, or as you have apparently discovered maybe different versions for different OEM's. Maybe Honda thinks the flush looking version looks better on the showroom floor. Or maybe it's a little cheaper.

· Registered
731 Posts
TireRack has two listed on their website

480 B B for Ford, Lexus, Toyota
480 A B for Honda

The Honda ones are backordered....
It doesn't surprise me that the tire for the Lexus and Toyota has a lower traction rating. (The first letter is the traction rating). My wife had a Toyota Solara before the her Clarity and when I replaced the OEM tires on the Toyota I put the best traction rating I could on the car. The car immediately started pulling. It turns out that Toyota designed the suspension to assume lower traction tires than what's available. I have a copy of Toyota T-SB-0391-08, Repair Manual Supplement: Vehicle Pulling to One Side. The very last line on page 15 is "If Vehicle Pull is Eliminated, Repair is Now Complete". After doing everything in this bulletin my Toyota dealership called Toyota USA and they told him to replace the tires with the OEM tires as the tires were too sticky for the suspension. I had the dealership re-allign the suspension to force a pull to the left to counteract the suspension's natural pull to the right. This cost me some excess tire wear but since my wife only drives about 2,000 miles a year I correctly figured the tires would age out before they wore out.

Needless to say I won't own another Toyota as traction is what stands between the driver and disaster.

· Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
348 Posts
I understand your concern about Toyota and alignment issues. We had a caster out of spec on the right front wheel on our '12 Prius v over a year ago now (with maybe 30k mi). Trusted alignment shop said it was only slightly off and would not affect drivability. Annoyed that my dad's curb bumping tire popping driving caused this, I bought a caster adjusting bushing, and proceeded to tear down the front right and replace it. Eventually I had to drop the subframe/rear carrier, after which I realized that caster is adjustable at that point, by aligning the subframe you adjust the caster. There is a SST to align it, basically a long pin you're supposed to insert perpendicularly. Too impatient to wait for a backordered tool, I just eyeballed it (with the new polyurethane bushings in place). Put everything back together including a new steering rack because I damaged the old one, and got it aligned all within spec. Car runs well....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.