Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the Clarity PHEV be configured to stop charging at 3:45 PM each day and then resume at 8:15 PM? When I looked through the owners manual (I have both) and the on-board settings I couldn't figure out how to do this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nope. One setting per 24 hr cycle. My juice box can provide a separate, additional charge time so I can get two per day if I needed it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad design in an EV. More proof that the Clarity was a technology testbed for Honda and not something they wanted to go mainstream.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Bad design in an EV. More proof that the Clarity was a technology testbed for Honda and not something they wanted to go mainstream.
I've been driving EVs since 1997, and none of them have had the feature you are asking for. Not even the 2021 Chevy Bolt.

It's not necessarily an indication that their manufacturers treated them as "a technology testbed".

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been driving EVs since 1997, and none of them have had the feature you are asking for. Not even the 2021 Chevy Bolt.

It's not necessarily an indication that their manufacturers treated them as "a technology testbed".
My Volt has this ability. It's set to charge from 8:15 PM to midnight and then midnight to 3:45 PM. Teslas apparently have this ability as well. Bottom line, EVs need to be able to stop charging during peak power consumption hours and not have to rely on the EVSE equipment to do this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My Volt has this ability. It's set to charge from 8:15 PM to midnight and then midnight to 3:45 PM. Teslas apparently have this ability as well. Bottom line, EVs need to be able to stop charging during peak power consumption hours and not have to rely on the EVSE equipment to do this.
That must have been a Gen2 Volt capability. My 2011 didn't seem to have it.

I use vehicle and EVSE timers often, to avoid high tariff charging times, but they don't seem to allow for "avoidance holes" like those described.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Where I live now is strictly tiered pricing. Time of day doesn't matter, so I have not programmed a start time. I just plug in whenever I need to.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Can the Clarity PHEV be configured to stop charging at 3:45 PM each day and then resume at 8:15 PM? When I looked through the owners manual (I have both) and the on-board settings I couldn't figure out how to do this?
What you can do is set up a schedule of 8:15 pm start and 3:45 pm end (it will cross over midnight with no problem). If you arrive home anytime during the day and plug in, it will start start charging at 8:15 pm and end charging when full, which even with level 1 will be long before 3:45 pm.

If you arrive home at say 1:00 pm and want to charge until 3:45 pm and resume at 8:15 pm, you would change the start time to 1:05 pm (end time remains as 3:45 pm). Once charging starts at 1:05 pm, change the start time to 8:15 pm. The current charge session that started at 1:05 pm will end at 3:45 pm, and the new charge session will start at 8:15 pm.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What you can do is set up a schedule of 8:15 pm start and 3:45 pm end (it will cross over midnight with no problem). If you arrive home between 3:45 pm and 8:15 pm, it will start charging at 8:15 pm and end charging when full, which even with level 1 will be long before 3:45 pm.

If you arrive home at say 1:00 pm, you would change the start time to 1:05 pm, leave the end time as 3:45 pm. Once charging starts at 1:05 pm, change the start time to 8:15 pm, (end time remains as 3:45 pm). The current charge session that started at 1:05 pm will end at 3:45 pm, and the new charge session will start at 8:15 pm.
So no set it and forget it where it charges between the start and end times, regardless of when you plug in.

·
Registered
699 Posts
So no set it and forget it where it charges between the start and end times, regardless of when you plug in.
No, it's one of the glaring missteps in the software that if you miss the scheduled start time then the charge session is cancelled. In my opinion as long as you plug in within the range of the schedule it should start charging. If it did then the 8:15 pm to 3:45 pm schedule would do exactly what you are asking.

·
Registered
159 Posts
No, it's one of the glaring missteps in the software that if you miss the scheduled start time then the charge session is cancelled. In my opinion as long as you plug in within the range of the schedule it should start charging. If it did then the 8:15 pm to 3:45 pm schedule would do exactly what you are asking.
Some GM EV products (Volt and Bolt, that I know of) will override charge scheduling if you plug in the J1772, then immediately unplug and replug in within five seconds. It's an interesting feature that few owners know about.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some GM EV products (Volt and Bolt, that I know of) will override charge scheduling if you plug in the J1772, then immediately unplug and replug in within five seconds. It's an interesting feature that few owners know about.
I've occasionally used this on my Volt. It's a useful feature when you need it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder how many other people recognize your avatar?

I'll give them a hint: Quadrotriticale.
I actually have two of them. A small one that's always quiet and which my cat plays with and a large one that doesn't like rough roads. It screams when the car hits rough road surfaces.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts