Honda Clarity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
If you do go with 245/45R18 I'm glad you chose America's Tire because any issues they'll give you a full refund/credit towards another set. I got a replacement oversize spare and it would not sit in the trunk well flush so I exchanged it, full credit AND no loss of installation fee. I was sure they'd at least charge me a new install fee...

My OE wheels are curb rashed to hell. Not on purpose... I did not know about the special sound deadening insert that Honda engineers built into each wheel. I asked around the two main wheel repair companies Wheels America and Wheel Collision Center and they both say they remove them. They aren't replaceable. ONLY Honda wheels have these devices my original plan was to get light aftermarket wheels. But my son and I notice a quietness (they work, upon careful observation) that my wife's Porsche Panamera doesn't even have. So I will be completing a set of the Clarity accessory wheel option. (I currently have one just in case my wife got a flat on her trip to Las Vegas. And one America's Tire in Norwalk has/had a Driveguard in stock). I will try to install Rim Ringz. I ordered the yellow 18" rings 1 1/2 weeks ago on Saturday. They are a company in Los Angeles, their website says they ship within 48 hours (business days I assume) but contacting them I was told they would be shipped this last Saturday. Still waiting...
Please follow-up with how well the Rim Ringz fit, and their ease of installation. I'm very interested in this product. Posting photos when finished would be really helpful, too.

I'm probably not alone, in my interest. $139 a set:

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
165 Posts
Absolutely, I kind of memorized the instructions already I'll take pictures. Please be a little patient I plan on installing them as I replace the tires (and wheels).

First time I've bought a rim curb rash protector. I do hope the owner sets up some sort of order confirmation email. I got my PayPal receipt and that was all. I believe I sent a follow up email on Thursday, (I had placed the order on Saturday). I have a wheel ready, the aftermarket TPMS system w/ internal sensors, and I was hoping the RimRingz but that did not arrive (yet) just in case my wife got a flat like she did last time she took a road trip to Vegas without me.

If she had gotten a flat she would have to have it towed. I would then get the spare set up with a Driveguard, TPMS sensor, and (I expected Rim Ringz). We have a 2004 Toyota Sienna AWD with indirect system. I did not reinitialize/calibrate whenever I adjusted pressures so it failed to warn me when I got a flat. Stopped at a nearby Walmart and they only had non-runflats so replaced just that one. TPMS light would not clear until that tire was replaced by a runflat. So I expected the light warning with 1 runflat and 3 regular tires. I would then need to set up a 2nd wheel which I have on order now and a matching runflat, then keep that Michelin as a spare....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Friday of the prior week I followed up on my Rimringz order and got a quick response that they were to ship last Saturday and I should have received them Monday or Tuesday. I emailed them again yesterday as I haven't received them, and am still waiting for a response. (It's been a little less than 24 hours).

I did start accumulating a list of tires with rim protection (235/45R18):

Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season

Michelin (seems like only summer tires although I did not check winter I'm afraid)
--Pilot Sport 4 S
--Pilot Sport 4

Continental (All 7 results on their website. Website made it easy to confirm, just be sure you select the correct tire size, which I had to do with each tire model listed, even though it originally gave the list for that particular size.)
--ExtremeContact DWS^06 Plus
--VikingContact 7
--PureContact LS
--ContiSportContact 3
--ProContact TX
--ContiProContact
--SureContact RX

This is a non-inclusive (incomplete) list. Love Continental for making it relatively easy....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Got some more tires with rim protector, Vredestein's site shows status per tire size, but had to search the size per model one by one:

–Quatrac 5
–Quatrac Pro
–Ultrac Vorti
–Ultrac Vorti+
–Wintrac Pro

Toyo PROXES Sport A/S

·
Registered
165 Posts
In 235/45R18 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 94V has "Seal Inside" technology. Having Slime tire tubes on my wife's mountain bike and getting 2 four prong staples in the tire, prying them out with a flathead I watched as the goo suddenly squirted into place, quickly dry, and seal up the 8 holes! Awesome...

Since I've been monitoring tread frequently I had the opportunity to check the spacing around the rear tires near the top. Not only is there the aerodynamic overhang but inside is some sort of felt like material which makes for even less clearance from the outside tire edge. I'd be pretty nervous adding even just 5 mm as in 245/45R18 would split the 10 half on each side, (plus extra height would make it that much closer).

With the self sealing winter version available may not be worth the test of/wait for 245/45R18...

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Memorial Day special popped up at my favorite tire shop: America's Tire.
$110 off set of 4 tires - major brands.

Just ordered a set of Yokohama RFT for the Clarity.

Took awhile to find any RFT in stock so had to order - 5 days out.
Installation next week.
Total bill: $1083 includes road hazard no questions asked warranty option

Automotive tire Font News Electric blue Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you for sharing this!!! I'm still quite nervous about the clearance on the rear aero arch and padding behind there. I see no downside to trying with America's Tire except the sale may not be in effect if you end up changing them for 235/45RF18. That reminds me, (thank you again), I should check the tread wear on ours...

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Here she is with new RFT shoes!

Yokohama Avid Envigor RFT in 245-45-18 size (+1).

She rides so much smoother, quieter and has not affected ride quality.

Matter of fact, it drives sportier than the factory OEM tires!

Now will have to see how much of a range impact on a different sized tire and non LRR / no ECO shoes....
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thank you for sharing! No rubbing in the back I hope?

BTW, technically I think it's (+0) :) , IIRC...

I'm betting much more protection for the wheels from curb rash as well. (Big +).

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
Here she is with new RFT shoes!

Yokohama Avid Envigor RFT in 245-45-18 size (+1).

She rides so much smoother, quieter and has not affected ride quality.

Matter of fact, it drives sportier than the factory OEM tires!

Now will have to see how much of a range impact on a different sized tire and non LRR / no ECO shoes....
View attachment 1024
Experience with other vehicles would seem to indicate that you'll likely experience an approximate 10% mileage hit, when changing from LRR. Don't be surprised at what you find. YMMV.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It doesn't even look like a bigger tire size. They fit nicely on the wheels and look "at home" on the car!
Thanks - it was good to go up one size since the OEM size had very little choices.

245-45x18 has a large range of different brands, types and performance tires.

So far loving the new shoes - they ride very smooth, quiet and handles bumps better than the OEM.

The only issue with these run flats are the unidirectional tread design of the tires which means I can't rotate traditional "X" pattern - only front to rear...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been running 30 PSI for a while now, 30.5 PSI to be more exact. (I check cold in the early morning aided by a headlamp when it's still somewhat dark. I do have mild night blindness). Irritatingly I'm starting to see center tread wear worsening at just one PSI up from 29, which got it wearing the outer edges more. Technically the left side tires are wearing badly in the center, the right side tires are wearing evenly!...

Thank you again for being brave enough to try the upsize tires. There are definitely a lot more choices now.

So priorities to consider when choosing:

RunFlat: for sure

All-Season: I guess we could eek by with summer tires, but it does get cold enough in the winter that I got rid of the summer tires on my wife's Panamera.

Load range: 235 has 94 and 98; 245 has 96 and 100

Speed rating: for runflat 100 load range, all season, LRR, very few, maybe only one that has V, H is predominant. I've made the downgrade to H before once on a Mercedes. I can't honestly remember much downside except decreased confidence in performance driving. I have since gone back to same speed rating or higher when buying replacement tires. (Honda spec V, which is decent for the heft of the Clarity).

LRR: It was easy to select this in TireRack for example so I rid all the non-LRR tires.

Price: Well at this point if I'm being so nitpicky about having all those above I noticed the pricing went up to $3xx range. Sigh. Basically $400 roughly to add LRR. Will that recoup in MPG savings?

Rim protector: If I'm not mistaken forget about it. I'm assuming the extra rubber protruding to protect the rims may not coexist with runflat technology, MAYBE self seal might work, but none of the true RunFlats seem to have it.

Tread wear: The higher the better, especially at $300 range per tire.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well after a few weeks, I can say that the RFT did take a range hit.

About 10% range loss due to the RFT.

But then I am happy that my wife won't have to pull over to the side of the road for a flat.
She can continue driving to a safe location.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just to clarify you accounted for the extra distance you get because it's 245/45 vs 235/45? (Every little bit helps)...

And pray tell, no rubbing? Our tires look bad in the center tread area but any lower pressure and the sidewalls are too squished for comfort. I also noticed some microcracks developing on the sidewalls...

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just to clarify you accounted for the extra distance you get because it's 245/45 vs 235/45? (Every little bit helps)...

And pray tell, no rubbing? Our tires look bad in the center tread area but any lower pressure and the sidewalls are too squished for comfort. I also noticed some microcracks developing on the sidewalls...
Yes even with the slightly larger tire (1.3%) the distance travelled compared to the stock tires still had over 10% range loss.

Not too bad, considering I went with run flats.

No rubbing or interference with the larger tires.

But the RFT does offer the superior traction and sidewall that beats out the OEM LRR tires.

Now that my new Ford Lightning EV is coming in, I am starting to look at RFT for them too...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've been learning more about tire load rating and air pressure. Interesting the XL version does nothing for load capacity except when adding more air pressure than the limit for the SL tires. This is a nice calculator that I found on what pressure to put in replacement tires that are different size than original:

Even if I tried 235/50R18 XL I should still put 33 PSI, which is above what I currently have in the 235/45R18 SL tires. Hmmm.....

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Pretty sure it comes with a spare tire, (even a lock to prevent theft it seems).

Looks like Ford is about to stop/already stopped taking orders for the '22 model year....
Yes, it comes with a space saver spare tire but I don't like to have to pull over for a flat.
I'd rather be able to drive off the road to a tire service station at 0 PSI.

Yes, Ford shut down all MY'22 orders as of 6/10/22.
My Lightning is built and now waiting for shipment.

Currently the BNSF rail line is out of commission for all shipments to California (except for food, military, fuel) so Ford may have to put vehicles onto the UP line....

21 - 40 of 43 Posts