Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally pulled the trigger on a Clarity, and should be receiving my car from Carvana this week. I look forward to getting to know it, and also hanging around on this forum to answer questions on all the intricate details I'll invariably come across.

The interior, at least from the pictures, looks to be in great shape. I do have a gift certificate for car detailing, so on the off chance that I get it and it looks terrible, I could have it cleaned up....but I don't anticipate that will be an issue.

Carvana did show some areas of concern, mostly small scratches on the exterior, which I can live with. On the interior, the only real areas of concern was on the Park/Drive buttons. There is some wear on the letters. Now...you can still tell which ones they are, and most of the time it will just be me in the car. So...truthfully, it's not a big deal.

But...the Type A part of me knows that it will drive me crazy. But....if I try to "fix it up with nail polish" (not really nail polish, but it's a euphemism for some sort of patch/paint job), and it is clearly obvious....that will drive me crazy as well.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
I finally pulled the trigger on a Clarity, and should be receiving my car from Carvana this week. I look forward to getting to know it, and also hanging around on this forum to answer questions on all the intricate details I'll invariably come across.

The interior, at least from the pictures, looks to be in great shape. I do have a gift certificate for car detailing, so on the off chance that I get it and it looks terrible, I could have it cleaned up....but I don't anticipate that will be an issue.

Carvana did show some areas of concern, mostly small scratches on the exterior, which I can live with. On the interior, the only real areas of concern was on the Park/Drive buttons. There is some wear on the letters. Now...you can still tell which ones they are, and most of the time it will just be me in the car. So...truthfully, it's not a big deal.

But...the Type A part of me knows that it will drive me crazy. But....if I try to "fix it up with nail polish" (not really nail polish, but it's a euphemism for some sort of patch/paint job), and it is clearly obvious....that will drive me crazy as well.

Any suggestions?
Buy replacement buttons and put a coat of clear nail polish on them. Or get some custom high-quality stickers made. Several, so that when they wear, you have ready replacements.

Life's too short to be driven crazy by such things.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
296 Posts
I've researched that area as we have a scratch in the vicinity (since we took delivery brand new). Anyone know the part numbers for the parts as I wasn't able to figure them out?

(TIA).

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
I've researched that area as we have a scratch in the vicinity (since we took delivery brand new). Anyone know the part numbers for the parts as I wasn't able to figure them out?

(TIA).
If Honda is like many manufacturers, you'll need to replace the whole friggin' console, at hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
So how do you minimize wear on those buttons? Wear gloves all the time? Make sure your fingers are not greasy from french fries? Or try to press them gently?

Those wear are going to be really ugly and it would be good if there's an easy way to prevent that happening.
I have some wear on the infotainment screen as I used lightly wet paper towel (Bounty) only a few times thinking it is safe. On bright sunlight I can see scratches so I only use clean microfiber towel from then on. They could have made it the screen glass with at least something stronger than a paper towel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you don't say how many miles your Clarity purchase has on it.....but I have 20000 miles on mine and there is not a bit of wear on those buttons - are you sure it is just not a bad photo? I bought mine through an internet website also and was quite pleased that the car was in the near pristine condition that the dealer and photographs showed. I was more than willing to pay the $1,000 to have it shipped across the country from California.

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
410 Posts
Here’s one that seems a little more reasonably priced.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you don't say how many miles your Clarity purchase has on it.....but I have 20000 miles on mine and there is not a bit of wear on those buttons - are you sure it is just not a bad photo? I bought mine through an internet website also and was quite pleased that the car was in the near pristine condition that the dealer and photographs showed. I was more than willing to pay the $1,000 to have it shipped across the country from California.
Yeah I am sure....the listing even specifies/points out the wear. So, they were at least up front about it.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
Many years ago, I learned to push buttons with the pads of my fingers, never the nail. It's made the letters on keycaps and buttons last much longer. Prior to being careful, my household destroyed the plastic dome style buttons on an early microwave oven. That beast was very expensive, and the button failure rendered an otherwise serviceable appliance inoperative.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2017-2021 HONDA CLARITY PARKING & SHIFT GEAR SELECTOR SWITCH (136) | eBay Honestly, cheapest and easy way is to get a good stickers and just put it over.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think I even want to know what has to be removed in order to access the location of this part.
It is very easy but if you are not a DIY person, I wouldn't touch it. At the forums you can find out some post about how to remove it (PDF files). I got the same problem with the button wear and despite I'm a DIY guy, I will go with the stickers.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
Another option that I'm gonna get for sure Glossy Black Car Gear Shift Switch Button Guard Cover For 2018-2020 Honda Accord | eBay (Note: comes directly from China so about 20 to 30 days waiting), You only can use the P, R, N and D buttons since it is intended for the 2018-21 Honda Accord (I'm pretty sure it will fir the Clarity). Also I found it in Gray (aluminum style), blue and red. $ 6.89!!
"D" and "P" are the most used ones, for me. "R" doesn't seem to suffer too much from wear, as I rarely make contact with the letter. This part would seem to fit the bill, as long as it truly fits the space.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So how do you minimize wear on those buttons? Wear gloves all the time? Make sure your fingers are not greasy from french fries? Or try to press them gently?

Those wear are going to be really ugly and it would be good if there's an easy way to prevent that happening.
I have some wear on the infotainment screen as I used lightly wet paper towel (Bounty) only a few times thinking it is safe. On bright sunlight I can see scratches so I only use clean microfiber towel from then on. They could have made it the screen glass with at least something stronger than a paper towel.
The makers of computer screens all recommend using only specialized cleaning clothes such as fiber clothes for cleaning the screens of digital devices. They also recommend only using pure water if necessary to remove smudge and dirt. And place the pure water on the fiber cloth, not the screen, before lightly touching the surface of the screen face. Paper towels are definitely the worst to use on digital screen surfaces.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts