Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a first gen 2018 Clarity. At 12 mi. of battery charge, I turned on the HV Charge and proceeded on to the freeway. Everything seemed normal with the normal sound of the charger, I was traveling about 65 mph for maybe a minute when the EV drive somehow disengaged and gave me the "feeling" that I lost "drive"... like I was in neutral while I can rev the engine with the indicator. When this happened, the 12 mi, indicator immediately dropped to 7 mi. I immediately tried to get off the freeway, still with the "feeling" that I lost acceleration (just high revving) with no connection to Drive. As I was slowing down getting off the freeway at about 30 mph I felt Drive engage again with no over revving... all seemed normal as usual. Again this is the first time this happened since owning the Clarity. Have anyone ever experienced this, or anyone might know what happened that caused this?

·
Super Moderator
659 Posts
I have a first gen 2018 Clarity. At 12 mi. of battery charge, I turned on the HV Charge and proceeded on to the freeway. Everything seemed normal with the normal sound of the charger, I was traveling about 65 mph for maybe a minute when the EV drive somehow disengaged and gave me the "feeling" that I lost "drive"... like I was in neutral while I can rev the engine with the indicator. When this happened, the 12 mi, indicator immediately dropped to 7 mi. I immediately tried to get off the freeway, still with the "feeling" that I lost acceleration (just high revving) with no connection to Drive. As I was slowing down getting off the freeway at about 30 mph I felt Drive engage again with no over revving... all seemed normal as usual. Again this is the first time this happened since owning the Clarity. Have anyone ever experienced this, or anyone might know what happened that caused this?
Yes, has happened to me when the temps are warm and have the A/C running.

I have learned to shut the A/C off when switching to HV Charge or when I need to climb a small hill / grade.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, has happened to me when the temps are warm and have the A/C running.

I have learned to shut the A/C off when switching to HV Charge or when I need to climb a small hill / grade.

Thank you for your reply. I'm thinking in that case I will most likely turn on the HV Charge sooner, say when there is 15 mi. left. My assumption by what you said, that the Clarity shut the EV mode due to the consumption of needed power at higher speed, including a max cooling with the AC, with the internal charger.

·
Super Moderator
659 Posts
Thank you for your reply. I'm thinking in that case I will most likely turn on the HV Charge sooner, say when there is 15 mi. left. My assumption by what you said, that the Clarity shut the EV mode due to the consumption of needed power at higher speed, including a max cooling with the AC, with the internal charger.
Are you driving in very warm / hot weather ?

I noticed this loss of power seems to happen when it's 90+ degrees out, higher humidity with A/C turned on high.

Try HV Charge mode with lower temps, A/C off, flat level terrain, and a constant 50MPH or higher speeds.

This will make the charge mode more efficient.

Let us know what happens ?

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
Is this the Clarity's "Propulsion Power Reduced" equivalent to the Volt's?

I was tooling up a mountain pass at about 80 mi/hr (yet still being passed) in my '11 Volt, when it depleted the battery, and started running on the ICE only. Got a "Propulsion Power Reduced" indication with a chime on the DIC, and speed suddenly dropped to about 50 mi/hr. I was in the number two lane out of four lanes.

Let's just call it a sphincter-tightening experience.

I learned to pay more attention to SOC, and use "Mountain Mode" more often. Not something you want to happen again.

I also use HV and HV+ where appropriate, with my '21 Clarity PHEV Touring, to avoid that experience.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same

1 - 7 of 7 Posts