Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Clarity owner here looking for a little help. I have a 2018 Base model. I did some searching on this forum and was hoping someone can help me verify this will work. I also called tire rack but the sales person said they don't have the dimensions for the clarity so they can't help me. My local dealer could also not verify that this would work.

I really want a full size spare for road trips and also live in an area where I need winter tires. I'm hoping to buy a set of winter tires/wheels and use one of them as a full size spare in case of emergencies. The idea would be to keep 1 winter tire in the trunk when I have summer tires on and 1 summer tire in the trunk when I have winter tires on. Would this work?

I verified the stock tire size to be 235/45/18 with a unique bolt pattern. I read here that many folks are buying Honda HV-R 17" rims for their winter tires. Could I buy 225/50/17 winter tires mounted to 17" wheels with the HV-R bolt pattern and get away with using one as a spare in case of emergencies? Is this a bad idea?

Thank you so much for your help. I don't know a lot about tires and really appreciate it. -Aaron

·
Registered
9 Posts

I'm not an expert but that seems the same time size this guy is doing - I would think that would work (you probably already came across this video if you have sorry) I would wonder about the weight of the wheel vs. the ones that came with the clarity but this guy seems to make it work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You're welcome (hope it works cringe I don't blame you for doing your homework on this one.. but least 17" tires would give a more softer ride which would be perfect for snow anyway..) anyway hope it works out - you're smart to do that.

·
Registered
699 Posts
New Clarity owner here looking for a little help. I have a 2018 Base model. I did some searching on this forum and was hoping someone can help me verify this will work. I also called tire rack but the sales person said they don't have the dimensions for the clarity so they can't help me. My local dealer could also not verify that this would work.

I really want a full size spare for road trips and also live in an area where I need winter tires. I'm hoping to buy a set of winter tires/wheels and use one of them as a full size spare in case of emergencies. The idea would be to keep 1 winter tire in the trunk when I have summer tires on and 1 summer tire in the trunk when I have winter tires on. Would this work?

I verified the stock tire size to be 235/45/18 with a unique bolt pattern. I read here that many folks are buying Honda HV-R 17" rims for their winter tires. Could I buy 225/50/17 winter tires mounted to 17" wheels with the HV-R bolt pattern and get away with using one as a spare in case of emergencies? Is this a bad idea?

Thank you so much for your help. I don't know a lot about tires and really appreciate it. -Aaron
Another option to consider, I have seen comments about the Michelin CrossClimate+ (and its successor the CrossClimate 2) that they make for a decent winter tire on the Clarity even though they are all season, so some people are just running them all year rather than maintaining a separate set of winter tires/wheels. Something you may want to research to see how prevalent that opinion is, especially from people who live in areas that get a similar level of snow that you do. Although apparently the 235/45/18 size is not always in stock but that wouldn't be a problem if you aren't in a rush to replace your OEM's.

If you did decide to go that route then the choice of a spare would be a separate decision. Ideally the spare would also be 235/45/18. For short term driving using a different size spare can be okay depending on how different it is. Obviously people use donut spares which are a different size, but then you are supposed to keep the speed down, don't drive too far, etc. For some sizes of full size spare you might be able to go farther and faster. But when in doubt using the same size as OEM would be preferred as you would have no restrictions. You could even consider buying a fifth Clarity wheel, expensive if new but if you shop online you should be able to find a used one. Although even if you bought a new one you could save some money by skipping the aerodynamic wheel cover, which are surprisingly expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another option to consider, I have seen comments about the Michelin CrossClimate+ (and its successor the CrossClimate 2) that they make for a decent winter tire on the Clarity even though they are all season, so some people are just running them all year rather than maintaining a separate set of winter tires/wheels. Something you may want to research to see how prevalent that opinion is, especially from people who live in areas that get a similar level of snow that you do. Although apparently the 235/45/18 size is not always in stock but that wouldn't be a problem if you aren't in a rush to replace your OEM's.

If you did decide to go that route then the choice of a spare would be a separate decision. Ideally the spare would also be 235/45/18. For short term driving using a different size spare can be okay depending on how different it is. Obviously people use donut spares which are a different size, but then you are supposed to keep the speed down, don't drive too far, etc. For some sizes of full size spare you might be able to go farther and faster. But when in doubt using the same size as OEM would be preferred as you would have no restrictions. You could even consider buying a fifth Clarity wheel, expensive if new but if you shop online you should be able to find a used one. Although even if you bought a new one you could save some money by skipping the aerodynamic wheel cover, which are surprisingly expensive.
Thank you for the additional option. I really appreciate your comments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts