Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 2018 base. pretty significant rise in electricity costs after owning the car for a week. Is anyone on TOU-Prime with SCE. If you are, can you give some incite as to your savings. Right now I'm on the basic residential tiered system. This has two separate costs per kilowatt..one for generation and one for delivery. The TOU says $.19/$.48/$.19. Does that price per kilowatt include generation and delivery or is the delivery separate. I'm just trying to project how much it is going to cost to charge up the 14KW battery every night.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am no longer in SCE's territory but I think I can give you a pointer. Contact SCE and ask about the rate for charging electric cars at night (10PM-6AM?). The rate is a bit lower. You may also need a separate meter for it. Of course if you need to charge during the day you are going to get hosed to the tune of 48 cents per kwh, or about $7 per full charge. The electricity and gasoline rates used by Honda to figure eMPG are 15,000 miles annually at 13 cents per kwh and $2.70 per gallon (right off my window sticker) with the average mpg per all cars at 27. You will have to adjust your numbers to figure your usage. If you go with the electric charging option you just program the charging time to coincide with the special rate time period. I just did a quick calculation using your numbers (19 cents per kwh) and a $5 per gallon price. To go 42 miles on gas is one gallon ($5) and to go 42 miles on electricity is $2.60. Of course if you are able to get a higher distance per charge the rate per 42 miles will be less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tommyboy..thanks for your input and great info. I'm also trying to see if the $.19 is the only charge per kilowatt or is there a delivery charge per Kw like I have now with the tiered program I'm on now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
SCE typically displays the number for TOUas the all inclusive amount. The reason they break it down is for tax purposes

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
With your PHEV being able to charge very quickly on L2, your TOU should be either a few hours in the morning or afternoon charging as mine is.

I am not really saving that much on the Clarity as it really does not use that much energy each day.

OTOH if you have pure EV like a Tesla, that can make huge difference.

I am ordering the Ford Lightning EV F150 truck and going to leverage the SCE TOU rates.

My PHEV will go back to overnight charging using L1 since the battery charges in about 8 hours.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm also in So. CA, with SCE. I've continued to opt out of TOU for many years (20+) of EV driving, because under our circumstances*, Residential Tiered remains cheapest, and we can stay grandfathered in to the old tariffs. When comparing rates, be sure to include the fixed, daily "fees" that are different for each. They can conveniently eat up any savings that any particular rate appears to provide. I'm convinced that power utilities purposefully muck with the rate details to make them basically impossible to accurately compare. IMO, SCE's "rate comparison tools" are essentially worthless. I recommend making your own, real-world-number based spreadsheet.

* Retired, 5kW of solar PV, 27kWh of Powerwalls and a highly efficient super-insulated home (without AC) with new (and also efficient) appliances. Our other car is a '21 Bolt.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm also in So. CA, with SCE. I've continued to opt out of TOU for many years (20+) of EV driving, because under our circumstances*, Residential Tiered remains cheapest, and we can stay grandfathered in to the old tariffs. When comparing rates, be sure to include the fixed, daily "fees" that are different for each. They can conveniently eat up any savings that any particular rate appears to provide. I'm convinced that power utilities purposefully muck with the rate details to make them basically impossible to accurately compare. IMO, SCE's "rate comparison tools" are essentially worthless. I recommend making your own, real-world-number based spreadsheet.

* Retired, 5kW of solar PV, 27kWh of Powerwalls and a highly efficient super-insulated home (without AC) with new (and also efficient) appliances. Our other car is a '21 Bolt.
Before we moved to Southern Utah last June our home had a 5kW solar PV system. It was installed in 2007 and we never had a bill from SCE until they added the $10.00 per month grid fee. I was charging my Prius Prime, which only has a 8.8 kWh battery (only 6.8 could be charged). I opted out of TOU every year as well. We now have an 8.6 kW system on our new home. Funky credit program with our utility guarantees that we pay for electricity used when the system is not producing electricity or we need more than the system can generate at any given moment. Plus overproduction is not credited as kilowatts, but at 4 cents per. Monthly relevant periods don't help us, either. I knew this going in, but that doesn't mean I like it much.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Before we moved to Southern Utah last June our home had a 5kW solar PV system. It was installed in 2007 and we never had a bill from SCE until they added the $10.00 per month grid fee. I was charging my Prius Prime, which only has a 8.8 kWh battery (only 6.8 could be charged). I opted out of TOU every year as well. We now have an 8.6 kW system on our new home. Funky credit program with our utility guarantees that we pay for electricity used when the system is not producing electricity or we need more than the system can generate at any given moment. Plus overproduction is not credited as kilowatts, but at 4 cents per. Monthly relevant periods don't help us, either. I knew this going in, but that doesn't mean I like it much.
Oh, man. I feel your pain.

Much as I complain about SCE tariffs, having Net Energy Metering is the bomb, except for the annual true-up wholesale rate payout. They pay me wholesale, and my neighbors scarf it up at retail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts