Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring Crimson Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Friday evening I parked in visitors spot at my my girlfriend's townhouse. I came back to the car Sunday evening and all 4 windows were down. Fortunately, they must have opened AFTER the rain here in BC subsided! She had noticed sometime earlier Sunday that my windows were down but forgot to tell me. Bizarre!!!

2. I make extensive use of Home Assistant home automation and have a BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) beacon plugged into USB port which has no power when the car is off. It is then tracked by a Bluetooth receiver and my Home Assistant which opens garage door when I start the car to leave or when I arrive home. Moments ago while sitting at my computer, the garage door opened which is only supposed to happen when the BLE beacon is detected, either when arriving or leaving. Given issue #1 above, I am suspicious of some sort of weird electrical issue with the car and somehow the BLE beacon just powered up even though the car is off!

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
In twenty years of EV ownership, I've found that the vast majority of "weird" behaviors in these rolling computers are caused by a weak or failing 12V auxiliary battery. Might not be the cause of your oddities, but I'd start with that. You don't indicate the year of your Clarity, but if it's a 2018, the battery is probably near end-of-life anyway...especially if your average temps are what I would call "cold", in your neck of the woods in Canada. PbA batteries don't much like cold, either.

Edit to add: Many auto parts stores will load test an auto battery for free. Note that simply measuring the voltage of an automotive PbA at rest doesn't tell much about its health.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,090 Posts
1. Friday evening I parked in visitors spot at my my girlfriend's townhouse. I came back to the car Sunday evening and all 4 windows were down. Fortunately, they must have opened AFTER the rain here in BC subsided! She had noticed sometime earlier Sunday that my windows were down but forgot to tell me. Bizarre!!!

2. I make extensive use of Home Assistant home automation and have a BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) beacon plugged into USB port which has no power when the car is off. It is then tracked by a Bluetooth receiver and my Home Assistant which opens garage door when I start the car to leave or when I arrive home. Moments ago while sitting at my computer, the garage door opened which is only supposed to happen when the BLE beacon is detected, either when arriving or leaving. Given issue #1 above, I am suspicious of some sort of weird electrical issue with the car and somehow the BLE beacon just powered up even though the car is off!
If I understand correctly whenever the BLE that is plugged into your Clarity's USB port is powered up, this is detected by the Home Assistant (assuming you are in range) which is programmed to open the garage door whenever it detects the BLE. The only time that I know of that the USB ports are powered is when the car is on, or when running remote climate. So unless you happened to turn on remote climate at the time then it is pretty mysterious.

Separate topic but maybe not everyone knows this, the buttons in the ceiling can be programmed to open a garage door. It works really well, when I use the regular garage remote it doesn't open the door until I am pulling into my driveway, but when I use the button in the ceiling I can start opening the door when I am still down the street. The signal seems to go a couple hundred feet or so.

As for the windows, if you press the unlock button on the fob, then press it again and hold it, all four of the windows will come down. In theory if your fob pressed against something in your pocket as you were walking away from the car that might happen. Otherwise I can't think of any other explanation.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Crimson Red
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@2002 Thanks! That most likely explains all 4 windows being down! I have had a previous car fob activate the panic mode while being in my pocket. I've also accidentally energized my vaporizer while being in my pocket as I've heard it hissing. But the BLE tracker remains a mystery. I just tested the remote climate function and the BLE tracker/USB port did not power up...

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,090 Posts
But the BLE tracker remains a mystery. I just tested the remote climate function and the BLE tracker/USB port did not power up...
That's interesting. I have a 2018, maybe that's another one of the undocumented changes that occurred during the 2020 "refresh" /s. The changes that I know of that occurred in 2020 are:

ACC no longer holds speed on a downhill.
Volume button on the steering wheel is now smooth, no longer has ridges.

Actually there was one documented change in 2020, Honda says that they "updated" the vehicle pedestrian alert. People who have driven both before and after models say that the only change is that it is now louder. Supposedly that was to comply with some type of pending or proposed regulation or something like that. Not that it mattered much since as it turned out the car would only be made for one more year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.