Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have an opportunity to purchase a new 2020 Clarity from a local Honda Dealer. There has been no maintenance for the duration that the car has been dormant. I should also mention the car has been exposed to Winter conditions.

Needless to say I am concerned with lot rot.

Would you guys purchase a 'new' car with this type of age?

What if post purchase the main batt pack is not performing etc? Is it reasonable to expect Honda to swap the pack under warranty? Please offer any other cautions and or perspectives.

My definition of warranty is that it is like insurance. You have it, you feel good having it....but would hate to continually need to use it. :)

Bottom line it for me....Am I going to end up owning a Frequent Flyer Garage Queen?

Thank you
Mike

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I have an opportunity to purchase a new 2020 Clarity from a local Honda Dealer. There has been no maintenance for the duration that the car has been dormant. I should also mention the car has been exposed to Winter conditions.

Needless to say I am concerned with lot rot.

Would you guys purchase a 'new' car with this type of age?

What if post purchase the main batt pack is not performing etc? Is it reasonable to expect Honda to swap the pack under warranty? Please offer any other cautions and or perspectives.

My definition of warranty is that it is like insurance. You have it, you feel good having it....but would hate to continually need to use it. :)

Bottom line it for me....Am I going to end up owning a Frequent Flyer Garage Queen?

Thank you
Mike
If you look on the door jamb on the driver's door there is a plate that shows the month and year of manufacture, this will give you a better idea how old the car is. If it was built in the last quarter of 2020 then it's less than a year old which is not unusual for a new Clarity. And there have certainly been some that have sat on the lot even longer than that.

The traction battery was probably not harmed by cold weather. From what I have read, the battery would be harmed only if charging or driving when the battery is way below freezing (the battery itself not just the outside air). However the system won't allow anyone to charge or drive the car when the battery is that cold. So there shouldn't be any problem if it sat through winter. Based on what I have read anyway.

It is also unlikely that the battery has lost capacity, but just to be sure you should ask (actually require) the dealer to provide you with the current battery capacity. This is easy for them to obtain with their computer, however most dealers don't know how to do it, so you may have to hand them the sample sheet that is included in this separate thread:

The rest of that thread gets into other things but post #1 has the information about the battery capacity check that you need to give to the dealer.

Now the 12V battery is a different story, if it was totally neglected then it may not be in good shape. But it's covered in the 3 yr / 36K mile bumper to bumper warranty which begins when the car is purchased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great insights.

What about square tires? Gaskets and seals etc? Generally soft rubber bits lose their flexibility. Any concerns?

So in other words probably a good purchase?

Thank you

·
Registered
159 Posts
Great insights.

What about square tires? Gaskets and seals etc? Generally soft rubber bits lose their flexibility. Any concerns?

So in other words probably a good purchase?

Thank you
I'd definitely give it an extended test drive. Flat-spotted tires are a distinct possibility.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts