Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will have owned the car for three years on June 15, 2022 (bought new on 6-15-2019). The car currently has 30,700 miles and is in excellent condition. I called my local Honda dealer and they said they can offer a bumper to bumper extended warranty for 5 years or up to 125,000 miles for $2,499. The warranty is through a firm called Southwest (not Honda) but can be used at any Honda dealer or certified shop in the country. Is this a good deal? What additional questions should I be asking?

· Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,090 Posts
Most Clarity owners have been going with HondaCare which is lower priced and also much more convenient as you can go to any Honda dealer and when they enter your VIN number into their system they will see that you have HondaCare, and if the repair is covered there will be no out of pocket. The best price for HondaCare is online from Hyannis Honda. Hyannis Honda sells HondaCare in most states, the other option is Saccucci Honda.

Your car must still be under the 3yr/36 month factory warranty, at 30,700 miles you are okay on mileage but you need to decide by June. But you should wait until it gets a little closer to June otherwise your extended warranty won't last as long because there will be overlap with the original warranty. The person at Hynannis Honda seems to be very helpful and will give you advice on when is the best time to purchase it.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
Most Clarity owners have been going with HondaCare which is lower priced and also much more convenient as you can go to any Honda dealer and when they enter your VIN number into their system they will see that you have HondaCare, and if the repair is covered there will be no out of pocket. The best price for HondaCare is online from Hyannis Honda. Hyannis Honda sells HondaCare in most states, the other option is Saccucci Honda.

Your car must still be under the 3yr/36 month factory warranty, at 30,700 miles you are okay on mileage but you need to decide by June. But you should wait until it gets a little closer to June otherwise your extended warranty won't last as long because there will be overlap with the original warranty. The person at Hynannis Honda seems to be very helpful and will give you advice on when is the best time to purchase it.
I just added a reminder for January of 2024 to check with them. Thanks!

· Registered
12 Posts
There are ~4 dealers that regularly sell for almost cost over the internet. All are selling the official Honda plan: Hondacare. They are

Hyannis Honda
Sacucci Honda
College Hills Honda
Curry Honda

You can google each with "Hondacare" and get quotes. 3 notes:

1. Note that due to state laws, none (AFAIK) sell in Florida and only some sell in California,
2. You must be under the factory warranty, so before the 3 year/36000 miles, and
3. For the warranty for older cars (not brand new), the odometer starts when the car was new, but the time starts when you buy the warranty--so a 5 year is 5 years from the day you buy the warranty. This means you should buy right before the factory warranty expires (either on mileage or time, whichever comes first)

I got the 5 year (so 8 total, since I bought right before expiration) 80,000 mile plan for about $1,000. Glad I waited, as I would have bought a 100,000 mile one before COVID meant a year+ of not driving

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are ~4 dealers that regularly sell for almost cost over the internet. All are selling the official Honda plan: Hondacare. They are

Hyannis Honda
Sacucci Honda
College Hills Honda
Curry Honda

You can google each with "Hondacare" and get quotes. 3 notes:

1. Note that due to state laws, none (AFAIK) sell in Florida and only some sell in California,
2. You must be under the factory warranty, so before the 3 year/36000 miles, and
3. For the warranty for older cars (not brand new), the odometer starts when the car was new, but the time starts when you buy the warranty--so a 5 year is 5 years from the day you buy the warranty. This means you should buy right before the factory warranty expires (either on mileage or time, whichever comes first)

I got the 5 year (so 8 total, since I bought right before expiration) 80,000 mile plan for about $1,000. Glad I waited, as I would have bought a 100,000 mile one before COVID meant a year+ of not driving
Thanks for this very helpful information. I reached out to Hyannis Honda but never received a reply. I'll reach out to the other three. My closest Honda dealer in Onalaska, WI did not offer a HondaCare warranty but rather a product from a third party.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sacucci Honda told me that HondaCare warranties are no longer available for the 2018 model year of the Clarity--even though the car was purchased new in June 2019 and has only 31,000 miles on it. Bummer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts