Honda Clarity Forum banner

Road noise after tire rotation?

1530 Views 16 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  obermd
After our car was in for service, we have notice a whirring noise that we aren't used to. One part of the service was a tire rotation. Is it possible that the rotated tires are causing more road noise? Are we so accustomed to the quiet ride that the tire noise is more obvious? In a gas driven car this noise would not be heard over the engine.

Also, has anyone else experienced the cabin climate control completely shutting off. The set temperature numbers on the info screen were gone. I have never figured out how to completely shut off the system.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Yes, noise, vibration, even a pull to one side (which is the one I experienced) happened after a tire rotation. I went to a Winston tire location for a specific tire, but they played the switcheroo game and sold me a set of their tires. At the first rotation (FWD) all of a sudden the car was pulling to one side. I took it all over to get it diagnosed and finally one place swapped FL <-> FR and the pull went the other way! Apparently the store sold me someone's return and put the bad tires on the back where it was hidden until the first rotation. Anything is possible but I would say extremely rare if they are the (original) Michelin brand.

About the climate, yes once in a blue moon it would be off. Turning it off is easy. Do you know where the emergency flasher button is? It is the button right underneath. I just checked but back in the warm house. It is either "ON / OFF" or "OFF / ON" sorry it's kind of cold out don't want to go out and verify...
Hi. Thanks for your response to this and my cooling system question. I think you're referring to the climate button that turns off/on the AC and can take the fan to low. I can't find anything to turn off the heat.
When I pressed the button this morning (run to get groceries before anyone else takes the car), it turned off the climate meaning the blank spaces where the set temperature was. (Touching anything else in that area afterwards will likely turn it back on)...
Oh, be sure you check the tire pressures and set them where you want them. The only place that does it right (by me) are the ones that don't touch the pressures.
Rear tires are prone to cupping, When rotated to front got a LOUD wine like a axle bearing was gone,
Took to Honda and he said turn front wheel out. felt tire and inside was cupped like crazy.
They Know of this problem and no one has done anything about it!
I jacked car up, spun tires and filed out the cupping on inner treads,
noise almost gone now!
@Snowbird What air pressure are you putting in? I am down to 27.5 PSI front and 29.0 PSI rear. (I hope the front start wearing evenly at this pressure. I think I need to drop the rears another 0.5 PSI).

36 PSI is rediculously high for the Clarity, (at least with the PHEV Touring per my experience).

These are measurements taken with an Autel TBE200 of the front right tire (on the left) and the rear left tire (on the right). I wanted to see the repeatability of the measurements taken. Each tire was measured at three points: outer edge, middle, inner edge.
Automotive lighting Gadget Font Tints and shades Electric blue
See less See more
@Snowbird What air pressure are you putting in? I am down to 27.5 PSI front and 29.0 PSI rear. (I hope the front start wearing evenly at this pressure. I think I need to drop the rears another 0.5 PSI).

36 PSI is rediculously high for the Clarity, (at least with the PHEV Touring per my experience).

These are measurements taken with an Autel TBE200 of the front right tire (on the left) and the rear left tire (on the right). I wanted to see the repeatability of the measurements taken. Each tire was measured at three points: outer edge, middle, inner edge.
View attachment 1245
Wouldn't a lower tire pressure increase wear on the outside edges? IIRC, the inside was where the cupping was discovered.
Wouldn't a lower tire pressure increase wear on the outside edges? IIRC, the inside was where the cupping was discovered.
It’s always confusing when someone refers to parts of the tire tread. There is outer edge wear, middle wear, referring to the tire itself. There’s outer, middle, inner meaning relative to the car. I definitely get mixed up sometimes. My apologies if I misread.

I wonder if my alignment place can do something about the negative camber. My initial suspect are they are over pressurized and bouncing due to that.
Tire tread cupping is a result of under pressurized tires, not over pressure. It happens because the tread isn't consistently separating from the pavement as the tire turns. I've told you several times that you're running those tires at a low enough pressure that they are at high risk of blowout. You need to run the tires at a minimum what the door placard reads and figure out what's going on at that pressure level.
Reactions: 1
Tire tread cupping is a result of under pressurized tires, not over pressure. It happens because the tread isn't consistently separating from the pavement as the tire turns. I've told you several times that you're running those tires at a low enough pressure that they are at high risk of blowout. You need to run the tires at a minimum what the door placard reads and figure out what's going on at that pressure level.
On my BEV Bolt, I run them at 38psi around town (comfort), then bump them to 40psi for road trips (better range). Things start to get a bit harsh, at much above 40psi.
Those tires are pretty worn down and I can see lateral tread damage from running them at too low a pressure.
I've got new tires/wheels waiting to be mounted on the car. I did some research, Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid Touring curb weight 4059 lbs, found here:

I Googled 235/45R18 tire pressure load rating, and found this page, which says load capacity for an SL at 26 PSI is 1131 lbs, for an XL it's slightly lower at 1124 lbs. At 29 PSI it says SL is 1235 lbs, and XL 1228 lbs. I can't say I'm dangerously low if these aren't incorrect...

SL and XL are load ranges. What is the actual load code on the tire?
94V is 1,477 lbs when set to the sidewall max PSI. V is 149 MPH rating, again at the sidewall max PSI.
98W is 1,653 lbs when set to the sidewall max PSI. W is 168 MPH rating, again at the sidewall max PSI.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts