Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a new vehicle approaches 30,000 - 40,000 miles on the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) tires they are probably approaching the end of their serviceable life. Rather than replace with the same type of OEM tires one can consider alternatives superior to the ones originally chosen by the manufacturer. In the case of the Clarity, one must still consider a tire with excellent rolling resistance so as not to lose any of the efficiency performance of the original tires. However, in staying within the Michelin family of tires the Michelin Primacy All Season Tour A/S tire is an excellent alternative choice for a few important reasons. For one thing, these tires are noticeably quieter than the Michelin OEM tires they replace on the Clarity. In an electric vehicle, damping down road noise is even more important than with combustion vehicles because it is the road noise transmitted via the tires you tend to notice the most when driving an electric vehicle. Beyond that however, the Michelin Primacy All Season Tour A/S is an excellent choice for inclement weather driving as well, even providing some measure of traction control in moderate road conditions where snow is a factor. So, with many of us now reporting mileages of well north of 30,000 miles, do consider other tire alternatives other than simply replacing with original equipment (OEM) tires. You may find you will enjoy the ride experience more and have a safer tire in the bargain too.

·
Super Moderator
471 Posts
Good choice of Michelins. I do have experience with Primacy A/S Touring tires - had them on my Merc.

When my OEM tires wear out, I am looking at getting run flats like the Bridgestone DriveGuards.

I like run flats because the Clarity has no spare.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good choice of Michelins. I do have experience with Primacy A/S Touring tires - had them on my Merc.

When my OEM tires wear out, I am looking at getting run flats like the Bridgestone DriveGuards.

I like run flats because the Clarity has no spare.
Thanks for the feedback. I have worn Bridgestone tires in the past on my Lexes and Subaru cars with great success but have never considered the run flat models. I will research these and not overlook them as well. Appreciate the comment and suggestion.

·
Registered
116 Posts
When a new vehicle approaches 30,000 - 40,000 miles on the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) tires they are probably approaching the end of their serviceable life. Rather than replace with the same type of OEM tires one can consider alternatives superior to the ones originally chosen by the manufacturer. In the case of the Clarity, one must still consider a tire with excellent rolling resistance so as not to lose any of the efficiency performance of the original tires. However, in staying within the Michelin family of tires the Michelin Primacy All Season Tour A/S tire is an excellent alternative choice for a few important reasons. For one thing, these tires are noticeably quieter than the Michelin OEM tires they replace on the Clarity. In an electric vehicle, damping down road noise is even more important than with combustion vehicles because it is the road noise transmitted via the tires you tend to notice the most when driving an electric vehicle. Beyond that however, the Michelin Primacy All Season Tour A/S is an excellent choice for inclement weather driving as well, even providing some measure of traction control in moderate road conditions where snow is a factor. So, with many of us now reporting mileages of well north of 30,000 miles, do consider other tire alternatives other than simply replacing with original equipment (OEM) tires. You may find you will enjoy the ride experience more and have a safer tire in the bargain too.
Any specific comments on knowledge you have of the Primacy’s rolling resistance in comparison with the OEM tires?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any specific comments on knowledge you have of the Primacy’s rolling resistance in comparison with the OEM tires?
Provided in this reply is a link to the Tire Rack web site that discusses the unique Green X feature of the Michelin Primacy line of tires under discussion. Green X is the term Michelin uses to describe their commitment to design and build of tires with the lowest rolling resistance and other eco-friendly characteristics. However, there is no industry standard for rolling resistance, therefore, impossible to compare with other brands.

·
Super Moderator
471 Posts
I am at 30,000 miles on my Clarity and should be soon to get a set of run flats on them.

I don't really concern myself with "green", "eco" or LRR tires -
After what happened last year when my rear tire blew, the Clarity was disabled and had to get towed on a flat bed to the dealer where my tire warranty replaced it.

My BMW has run flats and I love them because I can drive up to 50 miles on no air tires...

This is what I am getting on the Clarity - same as my BMW tires:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'll be looking at the Bridgestone Turanza when it comes time to replace our Clarity's tires. Long lasting, good traction, and the newer models have significantly reduced rolling resistance.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I come from the world of Prius and it was pretty much the same thing, the OEM tires had super low rolling resistance which helped Toyota with their EPA mileage rating, and gives the owner a couple more mpg, but that was pretty much all the OEM tires had going for them. When it came time for replacement almost no one got OEM's but based their tire purchase on all of the other criteria that are important to people - handling, quietness, long life, etc, and of course price, and then just accept that you will take a hit of 2-3 mpg. And if they last longer than the OEM's then that sort of becomes a wash anyway, at least monetarily.

For anyone who drives on snow I have read good things about the Michelin CrossClimate, that it is a great all year tire and also works great in snow. Where I live I drive in snow maybe one or two days a year so I don't really need that capability but I will still consider them when it comes times to replace my OEM's. Costco carries them in 235/45R18, and of course with Costco you try and time it with their sales, they usually alternate between Bridgestone and Michelin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this forum. Im at 78,000 miles on my 2018 Touring, still original OEM Michelin Energy Savers. time to get new ones. MIght try the bridgestone or michelin Primacy for next round. any other suggestions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New to this forum. Im at 78,000 miles on my 2018 Touring, still original OEM Michelin Energy Savers. time to get new ones. MIght try the bridgestone or michelin Primacy for next round. any other suggestions?
Another reader had recommended “Tire Rack’s top-rated Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack”.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts