Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does Honda Clarity have rain sensing wipers? I believe l it does say it does have but I never noticed that .

·
Registered
419 Posts
Our 18 Touring doesn't have them. I had rain sensing wipers on a previous car and while nice they're definitely not something I would use to make a purchase decision.

·
Registered
699 Posts
James

Neither the '18 or '19 Clarity had that feature. Not sure about later model years.
There were virtually no changes during the entire Clarity model run. The only two reported changes that I know of occurred I think in 2020 when the buttons on the steering wheel were slightly changed, the raised edges were made smoother, and I think the button that turns off ACC and LKA was moved slightly lower so that it's not as easy to accidentally press it and turn it all off (which I have done many a time in my 2018). Also ACC (adaptive cruise control) apparently no longer does regen on downhill grades, if you want regen on a downhill you have to shut off ACC. Someone contacted Honda about this and were told this is how it is supposed to work. The only thing I could find in the owners about it was that during a long downhill if the system has to activate the brakes several times then it will turn off ACC. But people are reporting that when they start a downhill their speed starts climbing because it does not regen. I don't remember if they said the brakes eventually activate.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Does Honda Clarity have rain sensing wipers? I believe l it does say it does have but I never noticed that .
Not rain sensing, but it does adjust wiper speed based on vehicle speed. In fact if you have it on the highest intermittent setting (shortest interval between wipes) when you speed up the wipers will run continuously just as if you had it set to low.

·
Registered
419 Posts
There were virtually no changes during the entire Clarity model run. The only two reported changes that I know of occurred I think in 2020 when the buttons on the steering wheel were slightly changed, the raised edges were made smoother, and I think the button that turns off ACC and LKA was moved slightly lower so that it's not as easy to accidentally press it and turn it all off (which I have done many a time in my 2018). Also ACC (adaptive cruise control) apparently no longer does regen on downhill grades, if you want regen on a downhill you have to shut off ACC. Someone contacted Honda about this and were told this is how it is supposed to work. The only thing I could find in the owners about it was that during a long downhill if the system has to activate the brakes several times then it will turn off ACC. But people are reporting that when they start a downhill their speed starts climbing because it does not regen. I don't remember if they said the brakes eventually activate.
The US version of the 2018 Touring had some features that were removed in the 2019 and 2020 Touring. Apparently the Canadian version of the Touring didn't have these features either.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The US version of the 2018 Touring had some features that were removed in the 2019 and 2020 Touring. Apparently the Canadian version of the Touring didn't have these features either.
I have never heard of that before. What features were removed?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have never heard of that before. What features were removed?
My understanding is the dual driver seat memory was removed in 2019. It definitely wasn't in the Canadian version. When I looked at the specs of the 2019 I noticed a few other items missing from the standard list for the Touring, but the one that stood out to me was the driver seat position memory.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My understanding is the dual driver seat memory was removed in 2019.
Removed from the U.S. model? No that is not true the Clarity U.S. Touring model has always had seat memory.

It definitely wasn't in the Canadian version. When I looked at the specs of the 2019 I noticed a few other items missing from the standard list for the Touring, but the one that stood out to me was the driver seat position memory.
That's because the Canadian Touring model has never had power seats, thus no seat memory. The Clarity in Canada is a completely different model (battery warmer for example), just like Clarity Japan is different (DC charging). Separate sales organizations determine features for their market.

Oh yeah one other difference starting in 2020 is a louder pedestrian alert. Apparently to line up with upcoming changes in regulations.

But no features have been added or removed from Clarity since the introduction.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting, then the seat memory was removed from the Touring's Mulroney sticker of features.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Interesting, then the seat memory was removed from the Touring's Mulroney sticker of features.
Not removed from the sticker, it was apparently never there. I just looked at the Monroney sticker for my 2018 Touring and it does not list memory seats, it only lists 8-way power seats. But I most definitely have memory seats.

Interestingly it mentions Sport Mode but there is no mention of Econ Mode.

I have always considered the Honda website to be the best official source for features, even though websites aren't always perfect either. The Honda website for 2021 Touring lists "Power Front Seats w/Memory Driver’s Seat".

·
Registered
159 Posts
Not removed from the sticker, it was apparently never there. I just looked at the Monroney sticker for my 2018 Touring and it does not list memory seats, it only lists 8-way power seats. But I most definitely have memory seats.

Interestingly it mentions Sport Mode but there is no mention of Econ Mode.

I have always considered the Honda website to be the best official source for features, even though websites aren't always perfect either. The Honda website for 2021 Touring lists "Power Front Seats w/Memory Driver’s Seat".
And I can verify that my US Model of the '21 Touring most definitely has them as well. It was a big selling point for my wife and me to opt for the Touring model. She's 5', and I'm 6'.

·
Registered
419 Posts
And I can verify that my US Model of the '21 Touring most definitely has them as well. It was a big selling point for my wife and me to opt for the Touring model. She's 5', and I'm 6'.
Wow - talk about inconsistency in what we're all seeing. My wife and I love the memory positioning because we sit differently.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2017 Clarity Fuel Cell model had them. I'm surprised to hear that the battery electric versions apparently did not. They worked extremely well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 2021 touring model does not have rain sensing wipers. It looks like they never added them (or BSM, backup sensors, front sensors, auto off high beams).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My 2021 touring model does not have rain sensing wipers. It looks like they never added them (or BSM, backup sensors, front sensors, auto off high beams).
Obviously on some web sites by mistake this features(rain sensing wipers and auto high beam) were showing on the Touring model.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I added a third-party BSM by BrandMotion (the RADAR-based one) and it works as well as the OEMs I've got on other vehicles. It does cross-traffic alerts, too, which is something the backup sensors would provide. I really wish it came with the ultrasonic parking alert sensors...fore and aft. Top-down video would have been nice, too. I have that on my '21 Bolt Premier, and love it, along with all the other bells and whistles that should be on the Touring. I find the marketing choices on Touring trim features to be puzzling, to say the least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I added a third-party BSM by BrandMotion (the RADAR-based one) and it works as well as the OEMs I've got on other vehicles. It does cross-traffic alerts, too, which is something the backup sensors would provide. I really wish it came with the ultrasonic parking alert sensors...fore and aft. Top-down video would have been nice, too. I have that on my '21 Bolt Premier, and love it, along with all the other bells and whistles that should be on the Touring. I find the marketing choices on Touring trim features to be puzzling, to say the least.
It was designed in ~2016 with the features that Honda was offering then (and a parts bin approach for things like the infotainment). Would love mirror memory to go with the seats, top down for parking (or at least a good view of the right curb and my wheels), true blind spot.

Alas, I can't really complain at what I got in a car that ended up costing a bit over $20k with incentives

·
Registered
1 Posts
James

Neither the '18 or '19 Clarity had that feature. Not sure about later model years.
The Touring Plug In is my second car, also has a 17 Fuel Cell but had to return it since I moved to Texas.
Loved tge Fuel Cell the most since it had the Rain Sensors, 2 12” base woofers, and heads up, and Ion filter
Really wish they offered that as options, more them willing to pay for it.
Cars replaced my XJ and found it has better room for those over 6’. Would have to to go up to the A8L or XJL to get more room and spend 60+k more.
FYI. Credible sources mentioned that car had been subsidized by Fed since Experimental and costs around 60k to produce. Yes, 40k is a hell of a good deal.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts