2018 Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am just wondering what type of gas people are using. I have been putting in Premium since I only go to the gas station once a month now. Is it safe/recommended to put in regular?

·
Registered
55 Posts
The owners manual says you can use regular octane gasoline. However, Honda also says to use top tier quality gas. I would avoid gasoline that is not top tier and gas that contains ethanol, if possible. I know here in New Jersey I have not been able to find ethanol free gas.

I only use top tier gas in all my engines.

To learn more about top tier gas and why it is important check out the link:
https://www.toptiergas.com

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
Because all our fuel in CA has ethanol, I put in premium (91 octane) as opposed to regular 87 in all our cars...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Because all our fuel in CA has ethanol, I put in premium (91 octane) as opposed to regular 87 in all our cars...
You're wasting your money by purchasing 91 octane. Buy 87 octane and if it really bothers you about how long it sits in the tank, add some Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer to the next fill up.

In Oklahoma, 100% gasoline is widely available at top tier stations... it costs about .30 to .40 cents more per gallon than E10, however. Hard to pay that $2.40 per gallon when E10 is around $2.

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
How does the 91 octane help with the ethanol content?
Octane and ethanol doesn't matter - I use premium fuel for the other ICE cars we have - required for our BMW and Land Rover.

I figure using premium in the Clarity can't hurt and since it does not drink gas, 91 octane would be in better shape after months of sitting in the tank.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Octane and ethanol doesn't matter - I use premium fuel for the other ICE cars we have - required for our BMW and Land Rover.

I figure using premium in the Clarity can't hurt and since it does not drink gas, 91 octane would be in better shape after months of sitting in the tank.....
It's your money and if it gives you peace of mind, go for it. However the reality is that octane has nothing to do with the storage shelf life of E10.

Regarding Okla... cheap gas is about the only good thing about living here. Oil companies run the state and own the government. Weather sucks. Roads suck. Oil field trucking tears up the roads and are a menace to safe driving. We have the bare minimum of public chargers, most of those are Tesla superchargers which are worthless to Clarity owners.

Took a vacation in the Bay Area last fall, absolutely loved it. Nice clear weather, Redwood forests, blue Pacific water, etc. Only thing I thought that sucked was gas prices and crowding in some areas.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Something I noticed when I test drove a Clarity last week is that it took a good 3 or 4 seconds for the gas door to open once you pressed the button. Is that due to the fuel tank needing a few seconds to depressurize?

If that's the case, then this should help a great deal in keeping the gas from going stale.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found this information on page 452 of the owner's manual. It is a pressurized tank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can also confirm that getting an octane of fuel that's higher than recommend won't give you anything in return. Many studies have proven that unless you have a high performing vehicle, typically found octane ratings won't have an effect.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can also confirm that getting an octane of fuel that's higher than recommend won't give you anything in return. Many studies have proven that unless you have a high performing vehicle, typically found octane ratings won't have an effect.
The oil barons love it when folks think they are buying 'better' gas when buying 91 octane or higher. Gives them that extra profit they need to boost their stock dividends.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The only “better gas” is Top Tier brands vs non-Top Tier brands. Modern fuel efficient engines can really benefit from gas that meets the Top Tier gasoline quality standards. The price difference is negligible, if any.

Being our Claritys need gas so infrequently might as well make sure you follow the Honda manual and buy gas from a brand that is a listed Top Tier brand.

Learn more here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only “better gas” is Top Tier brands vs non-Top Tier brands. Modern fuel efficient engines can really benefit from gas that meets the Top Tier gasoline quality standards. The price difference is negligible, if any.

Being our Claritys need gas so infrequently might as well make sure you follow the Honda manual and buy gas from a brand that is a listed Top Tier brand.

Learn more here.
https://youtu.be/bm14Cw1pt24
That's good advice, I plan to do just that. I can purchase Top Tier Phillips 66 100% gasoline at a local gas station. 100% gas costs .30 to .40 cents more per gallon than E10, however.

I use 100% gasoline with Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer in all my small engines, especially good in engines that sit unused for long periods of time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’m in Georgia - the gas around here is usually with ethanol, though ethanol free “rec gas” for recreational vehicle engines is available.

My dealer and 2 others in-state have told me to use 89 since the 91 and 93 have similar ethanol content. Modern engines can supposedly handle it pretty well. Since the dealers will warranty and recommend it, I feel like it’s basically a waste of cash to spend extra for higher-grade gasoline.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts