Honda Clarity Forum banner

"Power System" warning light, can't use ECON mode

2082 Views 5 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  EV Nerd
Hi all! I am having a weird problem with my Clarity Plug-in, and am hoping someone might have some insights that could help. I took it to the dealer, and they were super clueless, which was not encouraging.

Ever since June, the "power system" warning light will occasionally come on -- not every trip, not after a certain amount of time or any pattern I can see -- and then the next time I come to a complete stop, there's a little beep and ECON mode turns itself off. If I try to turn it back on, the car says "mode change unavailable." The warning light stays lit until we turn the car off and on again (although the other day, the warning was still on when we started the car again, which was disturbing).

I took the car to the dealer immediately the first time this happened. They said there wasn't even a code in the computer to indicate that anything had happened. I took it back a couple weeks later when it happened again, and they found code "P1DCB HV battery identification circuit A (system running)" -- they were not really able to explain to me what that meant. My impression is that they still didn't know what was going on, so they unplugged everything and plugged it back in again and hoped that that would work, haha. The problem didn't recur for a few weeks, but then it came back and now it happens almost every time we drive. They told me the next step is some procedure where they take the entire battery out, and they'll need the car for a couple days, and it will cost upwards of $1000 just for the diagnostic.

My husband thinks they are idiots and we should take the car to another dealer or another mechanic and see if they can figure this out. I am hoping any of you might have some advice or insights.

The closest thing I've been able to find, of someone else having this same issue, was this thread from 2019: "Power Systems" in red indicator on &amp...
I don't know if Sport Mode is also unavailable when the car is in this condition, because we never use Sport Mode (we are very boring Canadians, haha). I don't know if it's the same exact issue, but at least it gives me something to ask about. But does anyone else have any idea what might be going on? Thanks for your help.
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
What year is your car? how many kms? If its an HV battery issue it should be covered under warranty.
Hi all! I am having a weird problem with my Clarity Plug-in, and am hoping someone might have some insights that could help. I took it to the dealer, and they were super clueless, which was not encouraging.

Ever since June, the "power system" warning light will occasionally come on -- not every trip, not after a certain amount of time or any pattern I can see -- and then the next time I come to a complete stop, there's a little beep and ECON mode turns itself off. If I try to turn it back on, the car says "mode change unavailable." The warning light stays lit until we turn the car off and on again (although the other day, the warning was still on when we started the car again, which was disturbing).

I took the car to the dealer immediately the first time this happened. They said there wasn't even a code in the computer to indicate that anything had happened. I took it back a couple weeks later when it happened again, and they found code "P1DCB HV battery identification circuit A (system running)" -- they were not really able to explain to me what that meant. My impression is that they still didn't know what was going on, so they unplugged everything and plugged it back in again and hoped that that would work, haha. The problem didn't recur for a few weeks, but then it came back and now it happens almost every time we drive. They told me the next step is some procedure where they take the entire battery out, and they'll need the car for a couple days, and it will cost upwards of $1000 just for the diagnostic.

My husband thinks they are idiots and we should take the car to another dealer or another mechanic and see if they can figure this out. I am hoping any of you might have some advice or insights.

The closest thing I've been able to find, of someone else having this same issue, was this thread from 2019: "Power Systems" in red indicator on &amp...
I don't know if Sport Mode is also unavailable when the car is in this condition, because we never use Sport Mode (we are very boring Canadians, haha). I don't know if it's the same exact issue, but at least it gives me something to ask about. But does anyone else have any idea what might be going on? Thanks for your help.
Well, first I would tell your husband that they likely are not idiots...these PHEVs are complicated things sold in very low volumes...and the dealers just cannot know everything to know about them, especially an oddball very rare problem like this. So let's give them some grace and suggest that perhaps they need to get Honda Corporate involved in the resolution....
I'll be eager to read what happens with this, so please followup with future installments!
Reactions: 2
This was my fix as you probably read. ...replaced the elec coolant heater part number 79900-trw-a01 there was a part number too and the dealer had to consult with honda support to get to this conclusion.
Though the folks at your stealership are probably not idiots, it is extremely likely that they are ignorant when it comes to this car. I would try a different dealership.
I just had the same light come on last week and it was combined with the car failing to fully charge, or charging very slowly. The dealer I took it to did a diagnostic on the hybrid system which showed that a cable associated with charging was overheating. They replaced that under warrantee and I haven't seen that light come on yet and it charged up normally that night. I suspect that this "Power System" indicator is like a check engine light but for the electric drive components, it could be any number of things that cause the light to come on and you are at the mercy of the dealer to figure it out. My problem could have been dangerous. Overheating electrical components is not good. I would suggest anyone getting this light have it checked out without delay.
See less See more
Though the folks at your stealership are probably not idiots, it is extremely likely that they are ignorant when it comes to this car. I would try a different dealership.
I just had the same light come on last week and it was combined with the car failing to fully charge, or charging very slowly. The dealer I took it to did a diagnostic on the hybrid system which showed that a cable associated with charging was overheating. They replaced that under warrantee and I haven't seen that light come on yet and it charged up normally that night. I suspect that this "Power System" indicator is like a check engine light but for the electric drive components, it could be any number of things that cause the light to come on and you are at the mercy of the dealer to figure it out. My problem could have been dangerous. Overheating electrical components is not good. I would suggest anyone getting this light have it checked out without delay.
You can check it yourself, with a OBDII scan tool. They can be had quite cheaply. Now, as for deciphering the trouble code...I'd come here, and ask.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts