Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
699 Posts
I've heard of people doing this, but it's not recommended due to current draw.

Reactions: tommyboy

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I wouldn’t do it that way unless you are absolutely sure you won’t use the dryer and EVSE at the same time. If you do, you’ll just be tripping the circuit breaker.
I was thinking of something like the “SplitVolt” circuit splitter that allows you to safely (so they say) use the outlet for car and dryer, and will only allow one device to work at a time. My setup would be VERY expensive to run a new 240 line to my garage, unfortunately (panel is in finished basement).

· Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
411 Posts
I was thinking of something like the “SplitVolt” circuit splitter that allows you to safely (so they say) use the outlet for car and dryer, and will only allow one device to work at a time. My setup would be VERY expensive to run a new 240 line to my garage, unfortunately (panel is in finished basement).
That sounds reasonable. If the unit only allows one device to draw current at a time you should be ok.

· Registered
29 Posts
Run 12/2 Romex for a 20 amp 240 outlet 6-20r receptacle, You could use the OEM charger with an adapter (I have been using the Honda OEM charger for the past 2 years this way) or buy one

· Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,090 Posts
Run 12/2 Romex for a 20 amp 240 outlet 6-20r receptacle, You could use the OEM charger with an adapter (I have been using the Honda OEM charger for the past 2 years this way) or buy one

Good advice for many people, although probably not for the OP because they stated in the post that you quoted:

"My setup would be VERY expensive to run a new 240 line to my garage, unfortunately (panel is in finished basement)."

Clarity works fine with level 1. Sure there might be situations where you don't have time to fully charge before you take off again, but for most people that is the exception and doesn't happen all that often. And while many of us plan to one day get an EV, and that can be used as a reason to install a 240V circuit now, it all depends on the individual circumstances whether it makes sense to spend that money now just on the chance that we will purchase an EV while living in our current home, or just wait until we need it.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi, has anyone used a 240v outlet splitter, so you can have your dryer and EVSE plugged in at the same time? Any recommendations?
Bad idea. Your circuit breaker should pop open and stop current flow if you connect a dryer and Clarity at the same time, but it may not. Having both connected to the same 240V outlet / circuit could easily cause a fire - way too much current. Your homeowner's insurance carrier would also likely not honor their coverage if a fire resulted.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
703 Posts
Just unplug the dryer and plug in the Clarity. Or vice-versa.
Most of the receptacles behind a dryer are not rated for a significant number of insertions and removals. You'd be better off using a device like a "Dryer Buddy". They're not cheap, but can be much cheaper than running a new circuit or (shudder) upgrading your main panel.

Do note that the maximum continuous current able to be supplied by the Dryer Buddy is 24A, so adjust or choose the EVSE accordingly.

· Registered
6 Posts
Most of the receptacles behind a dryer are not rated for a significant number of insertions and removals. You'd be better off using a device like a "Dryer Buddy". They're not cheap, but can be much cheaper than running a new circuit or (shudder) upgrading your main panel.

Do note that the maximum continuous current able to be supplied by the Dryer Buddy is 24A, so adjust or choose the EVSE accordingly.
Good points! They run $350. I think I'd just run another circuit. More expensive but much better solution.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
703 Posts
Good points! They run $350. I think I'd just run another circuit. More expensive but much better solution.
And you can run a 50A circuit, for 40A of charging (for a future EV that can take 40A). A 60A circuit can get you up to 48A of charge current. (NEC guidelines are for a circuit to pass no more than 80% of its capacity.)

· Registered
2018 Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid Touring Modern Steel Metallic
17 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the NeoCharge splitter? I’ve been seeing it in my feed for the last 3 years or so, and I thought I might have had a need for it when I was charging the Clarity and my sister-in-law’s BMW i3 Rex with my JuiceBox EVSE. NeoCharge Splitter - right now it’s on sale, and also on Amazon. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
703 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the NeoCharge splitter? I’ve been seeing it in my feed for the last 3 years or so, and I thought I might have had a need for it when I was charging the Clarity and my sister-in-law’s BMW i3 Rex with my JuiceBox EVSE. NeoCharge Splitter - right now it’s on sale, and also on Amazon. Thanks in advance!
Looks like a Dryer Buddy equivalent. Just be sure that when it's used in an electric dryer circuit at 240V 30A, the EVSE is only drawing a maximum of 24A. 24A is 80% of the dryer's circuit capacity of 30A, thus adhering to the NEC guidelines.

Some EVSEs have the ability to draw current based on user input. Do NOT use a 32A off-the-shelf L2 EVSE on a 30A dryer circuit. You could burn your house down.

· Registered
2018 Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid Touring Modern Steel Metallic
17 Posts
Looks like a Dryer Buddy equivalent. Just be sure that when it's used in an electric dryer circuit at 240V 30A, the EVSE is only drawing a maximum of 24A. 24A is 80% of the dryer's circuit capacity of 30A, thus adhering to the NEC guidelines.

Some EVSEs have the ability to draw current based on user input. Do NOT use a 32A off-the-shelf L2 EVSE on a 30A dryer circuit. You could burn your house down.
Thanks for your reply. I just use my still-going-strong after 4 years JuiceBox 40A L2 EVSE (off a dedicated 100A circuit), supplemented by a SunRun 18 solar panel array with LG battery (circuit backup).

Back to my main inquiry: anyone with any experience with the NeoCharge? Thanks in advance!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts