Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Touring only gains EV range on a downhill or under braking if it is showing some EV range already. If it is at zero and/or has two bars on the gauge, no matter the length or steepness of the grade, it won’t build range. If I hit the crest of the same hill with SOME range it will build 3-4 Mike’s and a bar or two of range on the way down. (This is a five-mile, steep downhill). Normal? If so...why?

·
Registered
80 Posts
mhaynes

On the Clarity I drive...even if EV miles go to zero...regen will reclaim miles with the display showing the approximate gain.

"Normal" for the Clarity is a moving target. It is common for various owners to report diverging accounts of a similar issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My 2019 Touring only gains EV range on a downhill or under braking if it is showing some EV range already. If it is at zero and/or has two bars on the gauge, no matter the length or steepness of the grade, it won’t build range. If I hit the crest of the same hill with SOME range it will build 3-4 Mike’s and a bar or two of range on the way down. (This is a five-mile, steep downhill). Normal? If so...why?
But you should see your gas MPG continue to climb even after the base of the hill. It's most likely a software "feature".

·
Registered
699 Posts
My experience is that when it reaches 0 miles it usually will not show small amounts of regen but stays at 0. To understand what is going on it helps to look at a detail which is not displayed on the screen which is SOC (state of charge) which can be seen only on the HondaLink app or using an OBDII reader and phone app. Note that HondaLink is not good for "live" viewing of SOC it's mainly something you can look at when you arrive at your destination. 100% SOC is a fully charged battery. But 0 EV miles is 10% SOC which can seem a bit confusing at first, but that just means that at 0 EV miles it switches to HV mode and works like a regular hybrid, so you can imagine that 10% as representing the smaller battery that regular hybrids have available.

Like a regular hybrid the charge is going up and down as you drive, but since it is not showing SOC on the display you can't really see this. In theory they could continue to show the changes in EV miles, but that might look kind of funny because you would see the EV miles go slightly negative, then back up to 0, then slightly above 0, then back down again to negative, etc. They probably thought that would be confusing so instead it sticks at 0 miles and no longer shows changes either up or down. Unless you do enough regen to get it up to I think around 15% SOC then it usually starts showing EV miles again. I am guessing on the 15%, maybe it's higher than that I don't know. I can't tell if 3-4 miles worth of regen is normal to not show EV miles or if yours is acting differently. Keep in mind that prior to the downhill your SOC might have dropped to say 7% (which will still show as 0 EV miles) so then it has to regen even more before it reaches 15%, or whatever the amount is before it starts showing miles again.

I think something related is a phenomenon where we seem to "lose" EV miles when shutting off the car. In my experience if I arrive at my destination with about 2 miles of EV or less, when I shut off the car, then start it again, it is now 0 EV miles, and regen will not increase that. Again I think the cut-off is around 15%. In other words during driving you can get down to 10% before it shows 0 EV miles, but if you start the car with less than 15% then it shows 0 EV miles. I guess they assume that if you have less than 2 EV miles you are going to obviously be switching to HV soon so they just go ahead and start you off in HV so that the engine can begin warming up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts