Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Clarity plug in 2018 with about 60,000 miles. I am using level 2 charging. I am getting fully charge message but the range is keep dropping. It is now at 36 miles. I took it to two different dealerships but they could not find the cause. The battery has a 10 year’s warranty but they did not point to possible battery. They have no clue. I even called the Honda corporate but they just refered me to my local dealership.

I would appreciate your inputs.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
I have a Clarity plug in 2018 with about 60,000 miles. I am using level 2 charging. I am getting fully charge message but the range is keep dropping. It is now at 36 miles. I took it to two different dealerships but they could not find the cause. The battery has a 10 year’s warranty but they did not point to possible battery. They have no clue. I even called the Honda corporate but they just refered me to my local dealership.

What you're reporting seems pretty normal, for this time of year.

Lithium batteries have a widely known issue when operating at low-temperatures. They effectively temporarily lose capacity when the cells are cold. Their ability to provide (discharge) and accept (charge) energy at low temperatures is also reduced.

In addition, the heating system is not very efficient. (It's not a heat pump.) To keep warm in winter, we typically uses the cabin heater much more.

So, in cold weather, we get the double-whammy of reduced effective battery capacity, and high energy use to keep the cabin warm. The result is often a 10-40% hit on electric range, depending on how cold the weather is. This isn't just an issue with the Clarity batteries. Battery electrics (BEVS) take a significant hit in range when it's cold. I also drive a Bolt, and those with Bolts in the North (where temps are often below freezing) commonly report a 40% range hit.

There are other issues that can affect range as well:

- Changing the tires to a non-LRR type. The OEM tires on the Clarity were specifically picked (designed?) to minimize rolling resistance, and thus maximize efficiency. Changing to winter tires will probably reduce range, and in fact, changing to any tires that are not the same as the OEMs will probably decrease range.

- Rain and snow. The tires are pushing water or snow out of the way when rolling. This can significantly reduce range.

Others here have also reported range losses as the batteries age. This, too seems to be pretty normal, but I suspect that most of your issue is with the cold.

Also, if you're depending on the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) to give accurate results...there's a reason it's called a "Guess-O-Meter". It's a guess, based on previous driving style.

· Registered
158 Posts
What you're reporting seems pretty normal, for this time of year.

Lithium batteries have a widely known issue when operating at low-temperatures. They effectively temporarily lose capacity when the cells are cold. Their ability to provide (discharge) and accept (charge) energy at low temperatures is also reduced.

In addition, the heating system is not very efficient. (It's not a heat pump.) To keep warm in winter, we typically uses the cabin heater much more.

So, in cold weather, we get the double-whammy of reduced effective battery capacity, and high energy use to keep the cabin warm. The result is often a 10-40% hit on electric range, depending on how cold the weather is. This isn't just an issue with the Clarity batteries. Battery electrics (BEVS) take a significant hit in range when it's cold. I also drive a Bolt, and those with Bolts in the North (where temps are often below freezing) commonly report a 40% range hit.

- Changing the tires to a non-LRR type. The OEM tires on the Clarity were specifically picked (designed?) to minimize rolling resistance, and thus maximize efficiency. Changing to winter tires will probably reduce range, and in fact, changing to any tires that are not the same as the OEMs will probably decrease range.

- Rain and snow. The tires are pushing water or snow out of the way when rolling. This can significantly reduce range.

Others here have also reported range losses as the batteries age. This, too seems to be pretty normal, but I suspect that most of your issue is with the cold.

Also, if you're depending on the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) to give accurate results...there's a reason it's called a "Guess-O-Meter". It's a guess, based on previous driving style.
Well put EV Nerd, in addition to the rain/snow effect on the tire rolling resistance the wiper motor is also adding to the drain on the battery.
Tommyboys milage in those temperatures is spot on for my Clarity. I wonder what he results would be if I had the car charging in a heated garage?

· Super Moderator
697 Posts

Our 2018 is currently between 36-40 mile range but that's due to the wife who uses climate control (heating) and the tires were changed out recently to non LRR (+1 RFT).

We don't get cold weather battery decreases as So Calif remains over 50-60 degrees in the winter with no snow, ice or other weather.

In the spring and fall when we are not running the A/C we haven't seen any range loss even after 5 years of daily charging to 100%.

· Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
432 Posts
Our 2020 with only 7k miles is getting about 48-52 miles range in cold weather that hovers around the freezing mark. I am very stingy with heat and defrost and I drive like a grandpa (so my wife says). For me, the guess-o-meter is pretty accurate due to the fact that I live an area that is pretty flat and my driving habits don’t vary much. In warmer weather I have experienced range as high as 80 miles.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
I live in FL and drive 2018 currently 35000 miles. During colder days I get about 42 mile range during warmer weather over 60 miles. I noticed that it is really based on the history of your drives. I usually drive very mildly. When I get more energetic the range shows less.
What's an interesting exercise is to use the odometer to measure how many miles you really get out of the battery.

I've found that the GOM ("Guess-o-Meter") accuracy leaves much to be desired. It's really just a guess, after all.

And, as you wrote, it's a guess based on recent driving conditions and method.

· Registered
33 Posts
Get and cheap OBD reader and test your battery. There are many posts of what device to get and what app to use. That is the only way to see if your battery capacity is dropping.

here is one with quick search

· Registered
5 Posts
I have a Clarity plug in 2018 with about 60,000 miles. I am using level 2 charging. I am getting fully charge message but the range is keep dropping. It is now at 36 miles. I took it to two different dealerships but they could not find the cause. The battery has a 10 year’s warranty but they did not point to possible battery. They have no clue. I even called the Honda corporate but they just refered me to my local dealership. I would appreciate your inputs.
Good News I Hope My Honda Clarity had been losing EV range in October had 48m Range. Dropped to 36m EV range in November And than EV range 26min in January . Brought it in 4 times. No help whatsoever SOLUTION CHANGED CAR BATTERY. There were no messages on dash regarding voltage loss on main car battery at all. On the forth visit to Honda Car Died had to go to Canadian Tire and buy battery. After install (And charge) complete restoration of power. Hope THis Hepls

· Registered
5 Posts

Try Changing main car battery worked for me
There was no indication battery was shit
Changed it when it finally died without warning
EV range fully restored after 3 months of average 30m range

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
Good News I Hope My Honda Clarity had been losing EV range in October had 48m Range. Dropped to 36m EV range in November And than EV range 26min in January . Brought it in 4 times. No help whatsoever SOLUTION CHANGED CAR BATTERY. There were no messages on dash regarding voltage loss on main car battery at all. On the forth visit to Honda Car Died had to go to Canadian Tire and buy battery. After install (And charge) complete restoration of power. Hope THis Hepls
I'll assume you meant "km".

I'll also assume that you were operating on the original OEM 12V PbA Auxiliary battery. If you got four years out of it, that's a pretty common lifetime, especially in a cold climate. It's a good idea to load test it at least yearly, especially in the Great White North.

I've got a '21 PHEV Touring, and I put a smart charger/maintainer on it for 24Hrs every 60 days or so. The device will tell me if the 12V PbA is getting weak, too. I'm in So. California.

· Registered
5 Posts
I'll assume you meant "km".

I'll also assume that you were operating on the original OEM 12V PbA Auxiliary battery. If you got four years out of it, that's a pretty common lifetime, especially in a cold climate. It's a good idea to load test it at least yearly, especially in the Great White North.

I've got a '21 PHEV Touring, and I put a smart charger/maintainer on it for 24Hrs every 60 days or so. The device will tell me if the 12V PbA is getting weak, too. I'm in So. California.
Yes KM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts