Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if others have the same experience with their cruise control as I have. On all other Hondas I have owned, which are many, when hitting the "set" button while at a higher speed than the last set cruise speed, the cruise control system will set at the current speed. However, that is not what happens on my Clarity. These are the sequences and results:

Scenario One--
1. Set the cruise control at a given speed, say, 40 mph.
2. Accelerate to 65 mph.
3. While at 65 mph, depress cruise control "set" button.
4. My Clarity resumes at the previously set 40 mph and decelerates to 40 mph and resumes the 40 mph speed.
It seems to me that the cruise should be set at 65 mph with this sequence. This is what all of my other Hondas have done and continue to do (except for my Clarity).

Scenario Two--
2. Accelerate to 65 mph.
3. Depress the "cancel" button on the cruise control.
4. While at 65 mph, depress the "set" button.
5. My Clarity maintains the 65 mph.
It seems that the ability to increase the cruise control speed on my Clarity only works if I cancel the prior lower set speed.

It is acting as if depressing the "set" button while at a speed higher than the last set speed is the same as depressing the "resume" button, which I think is indicative of a problem with my cruise control system. I have taken the car to the dealer, but they said they didn't have another Clarity to compare it with to see if that was the behavior of all Claritys. I'd like a few other Clarity owners to test this and chime in so that I can either suffer with what I consider a lame cruise control system or go back to the dealer and have the tech do a better job at his job.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm wondering if others have the same experience with their cruise control as I have. On all other Hondas I have owned, which are many, when hitting the "set" button while at a higher speed than the last set cruise speed, the cruise control system will set at the current speed. However, that is not what happens on my Clarity. These are the sequences and results:

Scenario One--
2. Accelerate to 65 mph.
3. While at 65 mph, depress cruise control "set" button.
4. My Clarity resumes at the previously set 40 mph and decelerates to 40 mph and resumes the 40 mph speed.
It seems to me that the cruise should be set at 65 mph with this sequence. This is what all of my other Hondas have done and continue to do (except for my Clarity).

Scenario Two--
2. Accelerate to 65 mph.
3. Depress the "cancel" button on the cruise control.
4. While at 65 mph, depress the "set" button.
5. My Clarity maintains the 65 mph.
It seems that the ability to increase the cruise control speed on my Clarity only works if I cancel the prior lower set speed.

It is acting as if depressing the "set" button while at a speed higher than the last set speed is the same as depressing the "resume" button, which I think is indicative of a problem with my cruise control system. I have taken the car to the dealer, but they said they didn't have another Clarity to compare it with to see if that was the behavior of all Claritys. I'd like a few other Clarity owners to test this and chime in so that I can either suffer with what I consider a lame cruise control system or go back to the dealer and have the tech do a better job at his job.
Sounds like you're used to GM's cruise controls because that's exactly how all my GM cruise controls have operated. What you're describing about the Clarity is how my wife's 2018 Touring operates.

·
Registered
699 Posts
While at 65 mph, depress cruise control "set" button.
I assume you are using regular cruise control not ACC. To do what you want it to do in Scenario 1, when you reach 65 mph using the accelerator pedal, instead of pressing Set/- press Res/+

·
Registered
9 Posts
That is the normal Cruise setup for the Clarity and some other cars--you have to "Cancel" the lower speed setting (or use the "+" button to increase it 1 MPH a press.

If you want a substantially higher cruise speed set, the easiest way is as you described in Scenario 2 (Cancel and "Set" it at the current speed you are driving.. I suspect it may be a safety issue to require you to take that extra "cancel" step before setting a new Cruise speed.

·
Registered
699 Posts
That is the normal Cruise setup for the Clarity and some other cars--you have to "Cancel" the lower speed setting (or use the "+" button to increase it 1 MPH a press.

If you want a substantially higher cruise speed set, the easiest way is as you described in Scenario 2 (Cancel and "Set" it at the current speed you are driving.. I suspect it may be a safety issue to require you to take that extra "cancel" step before setting a new Cruise speed.
I suspect from the OP's description that they are using regular cruise control not ACC, although they have not responded yet to confirm. In regular cruise control you don't have to cancel, I found that if cruise is set to a lower speed like 40 mph, you can accelerate using the pedal to a higher speed like 60 mph and if you then press the Res/+ button (not the Set/- button) it will set the cruise at the higher speed. This is not documented in the manual I just discovered this when trying it out. I am waiting to hear from the OP if this works for them also.

As for ACC that is correct if you press Res/+ or Set/- it will change by 1 mph for each press. However if you press and hold either Res/+ or Set/- it will increment by 5 mph. For example if you are at 40 and want to go to 60 just press and hold Res/+ until it gets to 60 then let go. Since it's counting by 5 it moves pretty fast so it takes some practice as it's easy to overshoot, but if you overshoot you just press and hold Set/- to bring it back down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts