Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

I just test drive a used clarity and now is waiting for the one with touring trim to arrive. As a Soon to be ownerI want to learn more about the car and also charging network as that is new to me too. That car that I am waiting for is a 2018 silver Touring Clarity

Clouds00

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
703 Posts
Greetings

I just test drive a used clarity and now is waiting for the one with touring trim to arrive. As a Soon to be ownerI want to learn more about the car and also charging network as that is new to me too. That car that I am waiting for is a 2018 silver Touring Clarity

Clouds00
You can do no better than spending several hours perusing these boards. Think of it as an investment in time, at least as valuable as the car itself. I'd suggest reading the owner's manual (cover-to-cover) asap, too. Assuming it's the PHEV.

· Registered
28 Posts
Congratulations, I was lucky and got my touring over the summer. I love it. I was initially worried about how to find charging network locations, too. Mostly I just don't worry about charging outside of home charging. If I drive long distance, I just fill up with ancient dinosaur juice. If I'm out and about and spot a free-to-me charger somewhere, then maybe I zap it instead. I really love this car and the only down side is driving any other car pales in comparison.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
703 Posts
One thing to remember, is Clarity PHEVs don't perform off the line like most other pure BEVs. At least, that's been my experience. I've been driving BEVs for over twenty years, and got used to the instant torque off the line. When I've forgotten, and jumped on it, the Clarity gets LOUD, and lags a bit on acceleration, but it gets the job done.

PHEVs like the Clarity are a great compromise, with characteristics of both ICE and BEV. It's why I jumped on my '21 PHEV Touring, while they're still available.

And I forgot....WELCOME!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations, I was lucky and got my touring over the summer. I love it. I was initially worried about how to find charging network locations, too. Mostly I just don't worry about charging outside of home charging. If I drive long distance, I just fill up with ancient dinosaur juice. If I'm out and about and spot a free-to-me charger somewhere, then maybe I zap it instead. I really love this car and the only down side is driving any other car pales in comparison.
Thanks. I was surprised by how quiet it was when I test drove the car.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing to remember, is Clarity PHEVs don't perform off the line like most other pure BEVs. At least, that's been my experience. I've been driving BEVs for over twenty years, and got used to the instant torque off the line. When I've forgotten, and jumped on it, the Clarity gets LOUD, and lags a bit on acceleration, but it gets the job done.

PHEVs like the Clarity are a great compromise, with characteristics of both ICE and BEV. It's why I jumped on my '21 PHEV Touring, while they're still available.

And I forgot....WELCOME!
I drove a Camry hybrid so I am used to the ''loudness". Off the line, Clarity's lag was actually better than the Camry. Wow... BEV for over 20 years.... did you have a EV1 from GM?

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
703 Posts
I drove a Camry hybrid so I am used to the ''loudness". Off the line, Clarity's lag was actually better than the Camry. Wow... BEV for over 20 years.... did you have a EV1 from GM?
Yup. Leased three different EV-1s over five years. '97 PbA, '99 NiMH, and a refurbished '97 PbA. The '97's were recalled (taken back entirely) after a year and a half, due to a fire problem that was corrected, and GM re-leased them later. The wife and I actually drove two of them at the same time. Great little cars. Waaaaay before their time. Real head-turners. Awesome acceleration in a straight line, but the high-pressure 4" wide tires (for low rolling resistance) cornered like you were on wet ice. GM hadn't quite figured out how to tame the incredible torque, either. I went through at least three sets of motor mounts.

· Registered
20 Posts
Greetings

Clouds00
Here's what seems to bug new Clarity owners the most, and some of them deal with problems shared by most newer vehicles:
1) No spare tire or even a donut. Just a useless pump. Great if you have had a slow leak. Useless for basic road hazards.
2) No Level 2 charger supplied. If you have a garage, in most places, you'll have access to 220V for the dryer or electric water heater. There's a ton of discussion here on how to upgrade.
3) I didn't get an owner's manual, but I found it on-line, but didn't pay the $75 for the print version. I downloaded it for free, but ended up printing it out anyway at home.
4) If you were like me, whose newest car was a 2006 and you could barely figure out how to use a Tom-Tom GPS, you will find that operating a Clarity requires a substantial learning curve.
5) Some people think the rear end design is hideous.
6) It's an orphaned car. I don't care about that: my 2006 was a Pontiac G6; it got orphaned too. If I bought a Tesla Model S, they'd probably get orphaned the next week. 😁

We absolutely love this car.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
703 Posts
Here's what seems to bug new Clarity owners the most, and some of them deal with problems shared by most newer vehicles:
1) No spare tire or even a donut. Just a useless pump. Great if you have had a slow leak. Useless for basic road hazards.
2) No Level 2 charger supplied. If you have a garage, in most places, you'll have access to 220V for the dryer or electric water heater. There's a ton of discussion here on how to upgrade.
3) I didn't get an owner's manual, but I found it on-line, but didn't pay the $75 for the print version. I downloaded it for free, but ended up printing it out anyway at home.
4) If you were like me, whose newest car was a 2006 and you could barely figure out how to use a Tom-Tom GPS, you will find that operating a Clarity requires a substantial learning curve.
5) Some people think the rear end design is hideous.
6) It's an orphaned car. I don't care about that: my 2006 was a Pontiac G6; it got orphaned too. If I bought a Tesla Model S, they'd probably get orphaned the next week. 😁

We absolutely love this car.
My orphaned vehicles: 1999 Ford Ranger EV, 2001 RAV4-EV, 2008 Honda S2000, 2011 Chevy Volt PHEV, 2021 Honda Clarity PHEV. I strongly suspect that my 2017 Chevy Bolt EV and 2021 Chevy Bolt EV will be soon joining the list of orphans. All but the Ranger were purchased new.

When it comes to vehicles, I definitely don't fear the reaper, either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.