Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our oil changed today and this evening I see no oil on the dipstick. Is this normal for the Clarity PHEV?

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
263 Posts
We got our oil changed today and this evening I see no oil on the dipstick. Is this normal for the Clarity PHEV?
Is it possible that the oil is so clean that you just don’t see it? I’m not saying this as a joke. I have changed oil in the past and the new oil was hard to see the level on a dipstick.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible that the oil is so clean that you just don’t see it? I’m not saying this as a joke. I have changed oil in the past and the new oil was hard to see the level on a dipstick.
Possible, but the napkin came off nearly dry.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
120 Posts
Darn. Sounds like they didn't fill enough oil. (I've changed the oil 2nd oil change on). While 3.5 qts is too much last week I started with 3 qts 4 oz. In daylight you probably should add 8 oz and remeasure. Do you know how to turn on maintenance mode?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So last night my wife drove to the store and back (2 miles). I had her put the car in HV mode (had to show her as she doesn't use the drive mode buttons). When she got back, I waited three minutes and rechecked. The oil is there on the dipstick, but as ClarityDave thought, it's so clear that we could only see it via the shine on the dipstick.

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
120 Posts
When I do an oil change (following maintenance mode and revving the engine until the fan comes on), I find it a real pain trying to check the oil level, even after using my phone stopwatch and timing the 3 minutes. Somehow the oil coats above the actual level it seems. So I have to pull out, wipe, insert for maybe 1 second, 2 maximum, and very quickly pull it out then level it horizontal. (I notice I need to check both sides one side will be easier to read).

What a pain! On the positive side I noticed the owners manual says you can check the level cold. (I haven't tried that yet)....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I do an oil change (following maintenance mode and revving the engine until the fan comes on), I find it a real pain trying to check the oil level, even after using my phone stopwatch and timing the 3 minutes. Somehow the oil coats above the actual level it seems. So I have to pull out, wipe, insert for maybe 1 second, 2 maximum, and very quickly pull it out then level it horizontal. (I notice I need to check both sides one side will be easier to read).

What a pain! On the positive side I noticed the owners manual says you can check the level cold. (I haven't tried that yet)....
You're actually supposed to check the oil level cold. The three minutes is for the initial check after an oil change, which the car had yesterday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts