Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Honda is not making any more new PHEV, FC, or EV vehicles, I started looking for newer replacements.

Found Ford had the best EV for the money and ordered for my wife:
2022 Mustang Mach E - RWD w/ standard battery - Select / base trim w/ tech & comfort package.

For me:
2022 F150 Lightning - Lariat trim - 4WD w/ standard range battery

The race is now on - Mach E is supposed to be delivered in fall this year and the F150 Lightning later this summer.

We'll see what actually delivers in this crazy chip, parts & module shortages...
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
165 Posts
Wow! Nice. Hope you stick around as moderator....

EDIT-

We actually have a reservation for both VinFast offerings but will most likely only get one... (Darn Elon never built my wife's Y LR RWD 7 seater and left us with take current pricing or refund, and got the refund)...

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow! Nice. Hope you stick around as moderator....

EDIT-

We actually have a reservation for both VinFast offerings but will most likely only get one... (Darn Elon never built my wife's Y LR RWD 7 seater and left us with take current pricing or refund, and got the refund)...
Yes, we still have our '18 Clarity PHEV and love it so most likely will go to our college kid.

Teslas are in high demand but not crazy delays like other brands. My brother in law just got a new model X 7 passenger and loves it (he also has the first gen model S w/ unlimited Supercharger rights).

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
Since Honda is not making any more new PHEV, FC, or EV vehicles, I started looking for newer replacements.

Found Ford had the best EV for the money and ordered for my wife:
2022 Mustang Mach E - RWD w/ standard battery - Select / base trim w/ tech & comfort package.

For me:
2022 F150 Lightning - Lariat trim - 4WD w/ standard range battery

The race is now on - Mach E is supposed to be delivered in fall this year and the F150 Lightning later this summer.

We'll see what actually delivers in this crazy chip, parts & module shortages...
View attachment 935
Don't be surprised if they deliver your vehicles missing some features that are supposed to be a part of the specified trim level, because of missing chips. Many manufacturers are doing this, with the caveat that the vehicle can be brought back in later, when the parts arrive, and have the feature added back in.

Some manufacturers are instead offering a minimal reduction in price due to the missing features. I suspect those folks will have to pay for the "upgrade" later, if desired.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't be surprised if they deliver your vehicles missing some features that are supposed to be a part of the specified trim level, because of missing chips. Many manufacturers are doing this, with the caveat that the vehicle can be brought back in later, when the parts arrive, and have the feature added back in.

Some manufacturers are instead offering a minimal reduction in price due to the missing features. I suspect those folks will have to pay for the "upgrade" later, if desired.
Yes, already seeing the impact of the global chip shortage: Ford is removing all power folding running boards from production due to lack of modules.

Instead, they are putting on standard fixed running boards with LED lighting.

Don't know how much credit back the buyer will get, but I didn't order power folding running boards...

Still, a $70,000 Lariat trim truck should have all the bells and whistles ? Nope - only get that with the top tier Platinum trim.

·
Registered
165 Posts
On another forum I'm on someone ordered and took delivery of a Maverick truck. My biggest fear is dealer markup, and I'm happy to report there was none in that case. He said the dealer told him "if he walked in off the street trying to buy one there would be".

Please update us on this. We really enjoyed the ride along in the Mustang GT (plus or whatever they name the fastest addon) at the LA Auto show last winter.

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE:
Ford Mustang Mach E - still in order status - no movement.
Ford F150 Lightning is now on production build date: 6/13/22

Looks like the EV truck will arrive in July 2022.
I am one of 50 Lightning allocations my dealer received.
So glad to have ordered from a distant, high volume, high allocation dealer instead of my local / close by Ford dealers that received 2-5 allocations for MY22.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle White

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wow, that's like 2 months (and 1 day) from initial order date to build! I've heard from a couple of people about ordering the ID.4 getting theirs from Pasadena VW in about a month. And here we are first day reservation holders hearing crickets about the Cybertruck! (First years for the no joy Y, now crickets for the truck... Mr. Musk does not like us...)

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
UPDATE:
Race for the Lightning delivery is still strong - my build date is holding and I got a blend date (6/17/22) with window sticker showing #412 out of 698 trucks for the week!

That's the heaviest production week so far.

Looking like July delivery leaving for the Lightning while my wife's MME order has not progressed - complete with crickets chirping...

Here's my BEV Ford Lightning Lariat:
Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Pattern

·
Registered
165 Posts
That's a lot of money for a standard range battery. My wife maxed out the specs on her Cyber truck reservation which reached close to $80k BUT Tesla has since removed all pricing. No surprise if they (a) raise the price on her significantly, (b) just not build a tri-motor, or (c) not build the tri-motor and stick us with completely updated pricing which is significantly more than she signed up for.

(c) is exactly what they did with her Y LR RWD reservation.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
UPDATE:
Race for the Lightning delivery is still strong - my build date is holding and I got a blend date (6/17/22) with window sticker showing #412 out of 698 trucks for the week!

That's the heaviest production week so far.

Looking like July delivery leaving for the Lightning while my wife's MME order has not progressed - complete with crickets chirping...

Here's my BEV Ford Lightning Lariat:
View attachment 1029
Yikes! That's about two and a half times what I paid for my '21 Bolt Premier, less than a year ago.

More power to you (pun intended)...

·
Registered
165 Posts
@4sallypat I tried to show my wife the F-150 info as it is coming very quickly for you and I am the one who waits for her and my son to finish using the two cars we have that can legally go on the street, borrowing my parents' car when needed. She wasn't having it....

That is really cool that they send you a window sticker like that. I remember back in late 2007/early 2008 when we ordered a '08 335xi and we got nothing but a notice it had arrived at the dealership.

I got a chance to look at the specs:

LED bending lights
B&O Sound
360 view
Class IV hitch
Emergency driving assist...

Ford didn't skimp out no wonder they charge so much...

I remember when my wife traded her '08 328i for the C-MAX Energi she was kind of taking it out on me for two months. But when she traded it in in '18 for the Clarity the C-MAX was definitely missed.

Thank you and please keep us posted!

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yikes! That's about two and a half times what I paid for my '21 Bolt Premier, less than a year ago.

More power to you (pun intended)...
Yes, it's twice the price as our Clarity, but a lot more EV range.
I have to give Honda credit for my education in learning about EV driving.
PHEV driving should be a must for those new to EV.

I am a forum moderator on a Lightning message board and lots of newcomers to EV are so afraid of the range that they are all ordering the extended range batteries (ER) for $10,000+ more!

I am so lucky with 4 years of PHEV under my belt that I can say faithfully: no range anxiety in getting the standard range battery (SR)....

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@4sallypat I tried to show my wife the F-150 info as it is coming very quickly for you and I am the one who waits for her and my son to finish using the two cars we have that can legally go on the street, borrowing my parents' car when needed. She wasn't having it....

That is really cool that they send you a window sticker like that. I remember back in late 2007/early 2008 when we ordered a '08 335xi and we got nothing but a notice it had arrived at the dealership.

I got a chance to look at the specs:

LED bending lights
B&O Sound
360 view
Class IV hitch
Emergency driving assist...

Ford didn't skimp out no wonder they charge so much...

I remember when my wife traded her '08 328i for the C-MAX Energi she was kind of taking it out on me for two months. But when she traded it in in '18 for the Clarity the C-MAX was definitely missed.

Thank you and please keep us posted!
You should have your wife look at the Ford Mustang Mach E.

I ordered at the same time as my Lightning a Mustang Mach E MY'22 for my wife but after the deposit, no word on production dates.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
165 Posts
I know you had mentioned you had ordered a Lariat but I did not make the connection that this is the 2nd to highest model. Maybe I can convince my wife to go for a XLT and just the extended range battery. Another alternative is that owners say they got their ID.4 in 1 month from ordering. (I'm tired of waiting, our son takes the Clarity to school now)....

·
Super Moderator
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know you had mentioned you had ordered a Lariat but I did not make the connection that this is the 2nd to highest model. Maybe I can convince my wife to go for a XLT and just the extended range battery. Another alternative is that owners say they got their ID.4 in 1 month from ordering. (I'm tired of waiting, our son takes the Clarity to school now)....
The Lariat and the Pro are the best for your money trims.

XLT with ER battery option brings pricing up to $65K which is not that great when you can get a lot more in Lariat trim for $5K more.

I got the SR battery because my daily commute is 25 miles and will charge once a week.

Just got my 48A L2 charger for the incoming Lightning.

Electrician friend will charge me only $300 for the hardwire installation, 2 60A breakers, and a very short copper run.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you get special pricing from Ford? A base XLT plus ($10k for the) ER battery is a whopping $74,269 after including a whopping $1795 destination charge. (Are they building these outside the Continental US? That's a pretty hefty destination charge)!

·
Registered
165 Posts
We are very likely going to pick one of the VinFast offerings it seems. We'll either get $3000 off a VF8 or $5000 off a VF9. The battery ranges are not given EPA ratings but in WLTP, which a little digging is taken WLTP/1.12 = EPA with 8% chance of error. (Per InsideEVs article). For the battery choices the difference in price is $300 for VF8 and $500 for VF9, so it's kind of a no brainer to opt for the larger battery.

Pricing snapshots if correct, (pre discount that we got for reserving early). Even if we splurge on the top of the top it will be $61k, BUT will have a $160/month battery lease which is fixed for life and 70% capacity promise or it will be replaced at no cost.

At least this may somewhat help keep Tesla and others from continuing to inflate prices astronomically. After discount would be $56k before federal tax credit. That would pay many months of battery lease vs a Tesla Y....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts