Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi James,

Just bought a 2021 Touring. Have had it about a month as well. It's a lot of fun. A bit of a learning curve but it came easily enough. I just ordered a mustart travelmaster 2 level 2 charger. Looking forward to that.

Regards

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi James,

Just bought a 2021 Touring. Have had it about a month as well. It's a lot of fun. A bit of a learning curve but it came easily enough. I just ordered a mustart travelmaster 2 level 2 charger. Looking forward to that.

Regards
Hi Mike. Did you get your level 2 charger? If You did, can you share any thoughts with us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi James. Got the mustart travel master 2 portable charger with nema 14-50 plug. Ordered direct from the vendor. I also ordered a male four prong nema L14-30 male with female nema 14-50 adapter from Amazon for use with my generator. I hooked up the charger started up generator. Level 2 charger fired up ok and then I plugged it into the car. Green light. However generator struggled and the test ultimately failed. My 8000w gen simply running on propane simply doesn't have the minerals to drive a lvl2 charger. What is interesting is that the travel charger can step down the 16amp. If I can convince it to do so then maybe my generator can power it. The deficiency is direct tied to wattage. 15k gen should in theory have no issue.

Anyway, I will have my electrician install a nema 14-50 into my garage sometime in Dec.
Charger seems ok and I Iike that it's portable.

please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t know if I really need one. Since I am retired I have all the time in the world. Waiting 12 hrs. to recharge is not an issue for me. Still curious how fast it will charge from the wall. Just asked if one day I decide to buy one. Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read that a lvl2 charger can charge the car in about 2.5hrs (32amps) as compared to 13 hrs with lvl1

Also, you cannot precondition the cabin temperature before driving with lvl1.

As a side note, I think a large oversight is lack of in cabin charging status.

Regards

·
Registered
699 Posts
Also, you cannot precondition the cabin temperature before driving with lvl1.
I have read that also and I used to believe it. Then one day I decided to try it and I found that I can precondition using level 1. The only thing you can't do is charge and precondition at the same time. If the car is in the middle of charging and you turn on climate, the fan will blow but the AC compressor will not run because it gives priority to charging. I'm pretty sure that is true in winter also it will not run the heater while charging if you are using level 1.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don’t know if I really need one. Since I am retired I have all the time in the world. Waiting 12 hrs. to recharge is not an issue for me. Still curious how fast it will charge from the wall. Just asked if one day I decide to buy one. Thank you for the information.
As mentioned, level 2 charging with a 30 amp EVSE will charge in about 2.5 hours whereas level 1 charging could be 12-13 hours or so. However, your level 1 charger that came with the car will perform as a 12 amp level 2 charger with an adapter using 240v from a dryer plug or similar source. You will then reduce your charging time to around 6 hours. All that is required is an adapter cord that will allow you to feed 240v into it. I have used this technique on both my 2020 Clarity and my 2018 Pacifica hybrid. Works like a charm at my shop where I have not installed a level 2 charger. At home I use a level 2 30 amp charger in the garage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts