Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
Just purchased a 2018 Clarity and am super happy so far. A little concerned about the EV potential (only 30 miles instead of 47) but am hoping it's the cold weather in the Midwest (heated seats, heater etc.) reducing the number. Am working with the dealer also to resolve.

Sweet ride!

Bip

· Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
432 Posts
Hello all!
Just purchased a 2018 Clarity and am super happy so far. A little concerned about the EV potential (only 30 miles instead of 47) but am hoping it's the cold weather in the Midwest (heated seats, heater etc.) reducing the number. Am working with the dealer also to resolve.

Sweet ride!

Bip
Yeah, best to wait maybe another month and see what you get with temps up in the 50s-60s. Also, don’t rely soley on what the range gauge says. Calculate actual miles from the odometer. I rarely use heat in the winter other than heated seats. You can possibly get better than 30 if you leave cabin heat off.

· Super Moderator
696 Posts
Congrats on the used 2018 - I love mine!

As for range, it's not an issue with the manufacturer - it's a function of climate / weather / temperatures.

Summertime you will see at or above range per charge (depending a lot on how you drive it).

I am lucky in Southern California where we don't get cold winters - I get daily 50-65 miles per charge 365 days a year!

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, this has worked out great... I turned off climate, used seat heaters (if needed), and the outside temps have warmed a bit, and my guess o meter is now up to 39 (+9)! Hopefully it keeps trending in that direction as Spring arrives. Thanks for the help everyone!

· Registered
8 Posts
I have had my 2019 for about a month and can't get the miles over 40. It has been in the 40F-50F weather but I just use the seat heater for a few miles then turn it off usually. I'll try to use less cabin air as well and see if that helps. I always keep the fan at the lowest and don't use AUTO anymore to see if that helps.

I keep Econ always on and dont ride the pedal etc. Lots of Regen breaking whenever I can.

HV range full tank is also only about 290 Miles. Only had the car for about 4 weeks so hopefully the range increases.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had my 2019 for about a month and can't get the miles over 40. It has been in the 40F-50F weather but I just use the seat heater for a few miles then turn it off usually. I'll try to use less cabin air as well and see if that helps. I always keep the fan at the lowest and don't use AUTO anymore to see if that helps.

I keep Econ always on and dont ride the pedal etc. Lots of Regen breaking whenever I can.

HV range full tank is also only about 290 Miles. Only had the car for about 4 weeks so hopefully the range increases.
That seems to be the method...good luck!

· Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
432 Posts

Don’t forget that regenerative braking is only a convenience that allows you to put energy back into the battery. It is more efficient to only use the amount of energy needed to propel the vehicle and not use regenerative braking if possible. Taking energy out of the battery and then putting it back in is less efficient than just taking out what you need.

· Registered
266 Posts
Yes, the paddles when used properly add more energy back than just normal braking (unless the battery is full or close to full). Using HV Charge requires the ICE to operate, and at a higher rate than normal mode (that is why it is recommended to use it only when on level ground and at a constant (or close to constant) speed. Also, HV Charge will top out at 59% of battery capacity.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
Yes, the paddles when used properly add more energy back than just normal braking (unless the battery is full or close to full). Using HV Charge requires the ICE to operate, and at a higher rate than normal mode (that is why it is recommended to use it only when on level ground and at a constant (or close to constant) speed. Also, HV Charge will top out at 59% of battery capacity.
You also want to use your home's electricity (if available), rather than HV Charge to get your battery's SOC back up. In other words, try to have your battery fully depleted before you reach home. I treat it like a game, on regularly-traveled routes, to get home right before the ICE kicks on.

Also, if you select "Sport" mode, the Clarity will remain in its heavy regen state (as signified by the chevrons on the DIC), unless the SOC is at or near 100%. (There needs to be somewhere for the regen energy to go.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.