Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Clarity Forum people. I've owned my platinum white pearl Clarity for about a month and it's great. Prior to purchase, I read quite a bit about the car and watched a few youtube videos and I think I made a great choice. I didn't really know anything about this car and didn't even know Honda was still building them.

I previously owned a VW Golf R 6MT and, while that was a very good car, this one is a better fit for my family. I enjoy the almost nonexistent fuel stops, quiet ride, decent roominess, and no exhaust fumes. I also had the A/C problem (condenser) but that was fixed under warranty. We're driving to Maine this summer and we'll definitely take the Clarity.

Looking forward to many more trouble-free miles and some good reading here on the forum.

Thanks.

-Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Heya, also from MD :) Bought my 2018 Clarity Base used from Norris Honda in December '19. I'm about 3000 miles into it (the pandemic took a huge bite out of my travel; I now work from home permanently) and it is our go-to vehicle for getting around town. Shopping, hauling, it can do it all. I used to have a Toyota Prius C -- that car was also quite fuel efficient, but the problem was it just wasn't big enough to handle certain demands. Try going to a big box store, buying stuff, then going to a grocery store. You will be out of room. The Clarity can handle it, no problem, although you may find yourself putting stuff in the back seat -- that's fine for us because I only ever shop with one other passenger.

What condenser issue did you have? I've never had a problem with my Clarity since I bought it. All I've done to it is get a full top to bottom inspection (to verify I wasn't purchasing a car that would break down on me), one service for a cabin filter change, oil change and inspection of the hybrid system, and I ditched the factory tires for a new pair of Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires.

If you're curious about the tires, they reduced my EV range by about 2.5%, but they handle extremely well in slippery and snowy conditions, to the point where I was able to get to the store even for non-essential trips during the winter storms of 2020-2021. They also have a higher "load rating" -- meaning you can theoretically haul a few pounds more stuff in your Clarity without overloading the tires. The stock tires only handle something like 850 pounds on top of the empty vehicle weight, which is understandable because the car is extremely heavy. But an extra 150-200 lbs of headroom means I'm not worried about putting something heavy in the trunk with 3-4 passengers.

Did you get a home Level 2 charger (EVSE)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting about the tires. Mine still have lots of tread left so I'll stick with them for now.

This is my first hybrid -- it's a perfect fit and, yes, great for around town and everything else really. Interesting to hear your experience w/ the Prius C. To increase the utility factor of the Clarity, I was checking out etrailer.com and they have a hitch that's compatible with the Clarity. Their website is so informative. I have a utility trailer and a small boat but I only plan on using the hitch for my hitch-mounted bike rack.

Apparently there's a service bulletin for the A/C condenser for the 2018-2021 PHEV Honda Clarity. The condenser on my 2018 was replaced at around 23,000 miles. I learned about the bulletin through the r/Clarity subreddit.

I was checking out the EVSEs but decided against it since I only need to recharge the car once a week overnight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts