Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clarity trip in 2018 is already 46,000 miles. I now find that his battery mileage is only 40 miles. Is this normal? Do I need to go to Honda Service to test whether there is a problem with the battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine went from 50 to 40 when outside temp dropped from 70-80 to 40-50.

From what I understand that is normal for lithium batteries?

·
Registered
362 Posts
LiOn batteries are temperature sensitive. When the temps drop below about 50F you can expect to see up to a 20% drop in actual EV range.

·
Super Moderator
438 Posts
I am still seeing 50+ miles per charge in the hot desert southwest complete with wildfires all over the place.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We are now getting into freezing nights and 40s day high, wonder if anyone knows how the distance play out when we hit 10 below nights and 10 high day in January upstate NY?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Last winter was my first with my 2018 Touring and temps of 10 below at night and 10 above during the day would leave me with may 32 EV miles on the Guess-O-Meter.

·
Registered
521 Posts
For those who don't always charge to full but still want to monitor how their EV range is doing, there is a fairly quick calculation you can do to estimate how many EV miles you would have if you were fully charged. And even if you will be fully charging it allows you to get a pretty accurate estimate of what your EV range will be prior to charging without having to wait until your charging is complete. The calculation is:

90 ÷ (SOC-10) X Current EV

You can get the SOC using the HondaLink app even if you aren't using it for scheduled charging.

For example I recently arrived home with the HondaLink app showing 42 miles remaining and SOC of 79. So the calculation was:

90 ÷ (79-10) x 42 = 55 miles (rounded to nearest mile)

After I charged to full my EV range was 55 miles just as predicted. It is usually either exact or very close. The only time it doesn't work is if your EV range is 0 or close to it.

I do the calculation in a spreadsheet but you can do it just as easily with a calculator. When using a calculator it helps if you do the SOC - 10 in your head, then the rest is just a few button presses. Using the same example this is what you enter into the calculator:

90 ÷ 69 x 42 = 55

If you do it often enough it's easy to remember how to do it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just an update. At less than 700 miles on the speedometer, after charging my new Clarity last night I had a big grin on my face this morning as the display projected a range of 61 miles in EV mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've noticed the decrease in projected miles is more, sooner than last Fall. BTW, what is "SOC" in the calculation?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I've noticed the decrease in projected miles is more, sooner than last Fall. BTW, what is "SOC" in the calculation?
SOC is state of charge, which is a fancy EV term that basically means battery level. It is a percentage from 0 - 100. It is represented on the dashboard display by the bars on the left side of the display, each of the twenty bars represents 5%. You will notice that at 0 EV miles there are still two bars left, that is because 0 EV miles occurs at 10% SOC. The remaining 10% is used for normal hybrid operation after you have used up all of the EV range.

Note that even at 0% SOC the battery is not fully depleted, and at 100% the battery is not completely full. There is additional charge both on the top and bottom end which is never used, this is to prevent degradation to the battery which would occur if the battery is fully depleted or fully charged. So 0-100% SOC is essentially the usable part of the battery.

There are three ways to view SOC:
- counting the bars on the left side of the display and multiplying by five
- connecting an OBDII device which displays vehicle information including SOC
- using the HondaLink app

On the HondaLink main screen it shows your EV miles, to the right of that is a gauge representing battery level, just above that is a percentage, that's the SOC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the information. I've noticed the "reserve" at the bottom of the capacity but not at the "top", as in the outset of a road trip using HV mode when leaving the house. The computer seems to want to use the first 10% off the top by running more of the time in EV, according to the dash light, than I'd think it should. I've been assuming this was to create a buffer in case there was a downhill regeneration ahead. Am I wrong and there is the 10% to which you alluded already there? I usually charge at 110v but will try my 220v and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One other thing that you mentioned causes some concern for me and that is the "degradation" that could come from draining the battery all the way down zero. I mentioned previously that my battery no longer seems to provide more than 40 miles even in warm weather (Summer in Tennessee) when it would regularly top 50 last summer (only purchased in March of that year).

I know the car sat in the same spot on the dealership lot for the entirety of its time there (built in 10-'18) though not sure if/when it was ever charged nor the SOC upon its arrival (can't imagine any of the sales staff took any interest in this "alien" model). I took my first test drive in the car January 31 of '19 and the battery showed no charge at all. Having read a review stating that the electric driving experience was wonderful, before I came back to negotiate I told them to charge it up.

While I wouldn't think the battery would deplete that much just sitting, if it was never charged between whatever few test drives there were, would it, could it, drop to "zero" and does anyone feel that could manifest degradation this quickly?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just an update. At less than 700 miles on the speedometer, after charging my new Clarity last night I had a big grin on my face this morning as the display projected a range of 61 miles in EV mode.
Ok, so this seems like it will probably be the greatest range I will see out of my Clarity being that it’s brand new with less than a thousand miles on the odometer and given that we’re headed into winter with colder temperatures. Still, 65.6 miles is pretty impressive!

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so this seems like it will probably be the greatest range I will see out of my Clarity being that it’s brand new with less than a thousand miles on the odometer and given that we’re headed into winter with colder temperatures. Still, 65.6 miles is pretty impressive!
Did achieve the 65.6 on solely charging from a power source or from charging during driving? I ask b/c my Clarity is days old and I can’t get a charge range higher than 41 ev miles and 99% from overnight charging at 110v.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Did achieve the 65.6 on solely charging from a power source or from charging during driving? I ask b/c my Clarity is days old and I can’t get a charge range higher than 41 ev miles and 99% from overnight charging at 110v.
I charge up with a level 2 EVSE in the garage each night. The temperatures have been cooling down into the 40s but my EV range is still showing better than 62 miles. I avoid using the heater and just wear gloves instead and I anticipate stop signs/lights by easing off the accelerator early. I also accelerate smoothly and gradually and try to keep the 'needle' on the charge/power gauge at less than two of the major marks.

And I don't know if it makes any difference or not but there are many days when I only put 10-15 miles on the car or less.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Thanks for the information. I've noticed the "reserve" at the bottom of the capacity but not at the "top", as in the outset of a road trip using HV mode when leaving the house. The computer seems to want to use the first 10% off the top by running more of the time in EV, according to the dash light, than I'd think it should. I've been assuming this was to create a buffer in case there was a downhill regeneration ahead. Am I wrong and there is the 10% to which you alluded already there? I usually charge at 110v but will try my 220v and see if that makes any difference.
Anytime that you switch to HV the gas engine starts but it does not immediately provide power while it is warming up, meanwhile EV miles will be used during the warmup. This is true regardless of whether the battery is full or not.

For example if I am cruising on the freeway in EV mode, I can notice that the EV range is going down by 0.1 tenths of a mile every few seconds. If I then switch to HV I can see on the dash that it is no longer in EV mode, however the EV range continues to go down at the same rate as it did when I was in EV mode. After several miles the EV range will finally stop going down, and then slowly start to go back up again, and I can usually start to hear the engine at this time which until then I couldn't because it was just basically idling or else providing very little power. You would think that the EV range would eventually climb back up to the point where it was when I first switched to HV, but usually it doesn't it just goes up a couple of miles or so and never quite gets back to where it originally was.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My continued observation with the decline in available miles on fully charged battery as it relates to temperature.

Must admit I am disappointed in the steady decline.

Outside temp Miles

70-80 50+

40-50 40+

20-30 30+

1 - 20 of 33 Posts