Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always had a moonroof in my cars. Since the Clarity didn't offer it I went with a Webasto aftermarket model. This is my 3rd Webasto aftermarket moonroof. They assured ne the slight dip in the roo8was not a problem. I had the work done at Arizona Suntops in Phoenix. Has anyone else had one installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nope. The only aftermarket sunroof "experience" I've had are on friends' vehicles.

To paraphrase Marisa Tomei at the end of My Cousin Vinnie: "It was an effing nightmare!" of unsolvable leaks.

Not gonna happen. No way, nohow.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We had a real gullywasher here yesterday. the moonroof performed as promised. No leaks and it is quiet. I am happy. The Webasto Hollandia 700 series moonroof does not actually seal to the roof of the car. It seals to itself. The black trim is more for appearance where the roof is cut. The unit mounts under the roofline and above the headliner. it has drainholes on each side of the unit that run down each pillar between front and back doors. I had the switch mounted on the sunglass holder to allow for the unit to be closer to the front. It is now sealed shut. Not a big deal since I use a visor sunglass holder anyway. This is the 3rd Webasto unit I have had and none has ever leaked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
We had a real gullywasher here yesterday. the moonroof performed as promised. No leaks and it is quiet. I am happy. The Webasto Hollandia 700 series moonroof does not actually seal to the roof of the car. It seals to itself. The black trim is more for appearance where the roof is cut. The unit mounts under the roofline and above the headliner. it has drainholes on each side of the unit that run down each pillar between front and back doors. I had the switch mounted on the sunglass holder to allow for the unit to be closer to the front. It is now sealed shut. Not a big deal since I use a visor sunglass holder anyway. This is the 3rd Webasto unit I have had and none has ever leaked.
Thanks for that info. Now my tally is three successes (yours), and three failures (my friends and relatives). Aftermarket T-Tops were the worst.

It's like critics of skydiving exclaiming "Why jump out of a perfectly good plane?" (I have). My feeling is "Why cut up a perfectly good car roof?"

Your installation does look really clean.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have always had a moonroof in my cars. Since the Clarity didn't offer it I went with a Webasto aftermarket model. This is my 3rd Webasto aftermarket moonroof. They assured ne the slight dip in the roo8was not a problem. I had the work done at Arizona Suntops in Phoenix. Has anyone else had one installed?
Wow, I talked to two different shops that specialize in putting these in, and both of them told me that it can't be done on the Clarity due to the recess in the roof. There is also something (or was something) on the Honda website touting the special structure of the Clarity's roof and how rigid it is. That made me concerned that cutting into it might affect that.

That said, I really want a moonroof in my Clarity. Could you take some close-up photos of the area where the edge of the moonroof meets the recess in the roof (on the outside of the car). And a few that show how the roof looks on the interior? I am really very interested in this modification. I'm glad somebody was willing to have it done. It looks great in those photos.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The roof is rigid. the roof skin is not. Her are some pictures. I hope they help. As said previously, I approved them putting the switch in the sunglass holder (now solidly shut). This allowed them to move the assembly forward a few inches. The unit is a Webasto Hollandia 700 with the auto close feature (closes the moonroof if it is open when shutting off the ignition). In vent position it does not auto close.
In watching several YouTube videos one of the most missed features of this car was the moonroof (mentioned in every video I watched).

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
The roof is rigid. the roof skin is not. Her are some pictures. I hope they help. As said previously, I approved them putting the switch in the sunglass holder (now solidly shut). This allowed them to move the assembly forward a few inches. The unit is a Webasto Hollandia 700 with the auto close feature (closes the moonroof if it is open when shutting off the ignition). In vent position it does not auto close.
In watching several YouTube videos one of the most missed features of this car was the moonroof (mentioned in every video I watched).
Thank you for those photos! Your moonroof looks really good. That was a good call on moving the moonroof forward by sacrificing the sunglass holder. I never use that, anyway. I had a moonroof installed in a Nissan Maxima, and one of the few things I didn’t like about it was that it was a few inches too far back to be fully enjoyed.

I would really like to put one in my Clarity. One thing that still worries me is that if you look at the Clarity on the Honda website, they make a lot of the fact that the roof on the Clarity is specially engineered to be extra strong and rigid. They say it has a seamlessly laser-welded roof that greatly improves body strength and rigidity. I imagine they did that for a reason. I don't know if other Hondas have similar roofs, but I didn’t see any mention of it with the Accord.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just for fun call Arizona Suntops at 602-371- 0566 and ask. The whole job was 1.5 days
I'm in Southern California, so Arizona isn't too very far away. However, I'd hate to think I'd have to go back there if I had any problems. Do you mind saying what it cost? I'm guessing around $1,200 to $1,500?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm in Southern California, so Arizona isn't too very far away. However, I'd hate to think I'd have to go back there if I had any problems. Do you mind saying what it cost? I'm guessing around $1,200 to $1,500?
Oh no. Pretty expensive. Mine was $2600. You can check locally. Years ago there was a company called Pacific Sunroofs in OC. That did a lot of aftermarket for the car dealerships. They may still be around.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh no. Pretty expensive. Mine was $2600. You can check locally. Years ago there Elway a company called Pacific Sunroofs in OC. That did a lot of aftermarket for the car dealerships
I could have saved $500 by not choosing to auto close feature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I could have saved $500 by not choosing to auto close feature.
I used a company called American Sunroof in San Diego to put the sunroof in my Maxima. I was really worried it would look horrible. It looked great, and it didn't leak. But they somehow screwed up the wiring (which should have been the easiest part). I went through three car batteries in the next six or so months. I took it somewhere else to get it diagnosed. That place told me the sunroof installer tapped into a wire instead of wiring it to the fuse box, and there was some other problem. American Sunroof denied responsibility. It got to be so much of a hassle that I just gave that car to a friend of mine and bought a new car. So there's that weighing on my decision, too. I'll look into that place in OC.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Man, that looks OEM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts