Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have a 2018 Clarity Plugin Hybrid. When I was washing it last weekend, I noticed that there is no grill on the small air intake just below the drivers side running light. That seems odd to me - I can look in and see a small radiator. From washing the car in the past, I don't remember that being so open. I checked with the local dealer and they're clueless, nor do they have one on the lot to compare with. Can someone look at their clarity to see if there's a grill there, or is it just open?

I've attached a photo with an arrow pointing to the intake.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, indeed! The passenger side has a complete black plastic blocking filler. But the driver's side is 100% open and there is a small, but very tightly finned aluminum radiator.

What does that thing cool? Anybody know?

Thanks for noticing!

Rob

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yes, indeed! The passenger side has a complete black plastic blocking filler. But the driver's side is 100% open and there is a small, but very tightly finned aluminum radiator. What does that thing cool? Anybody know?
It's listed as ATF cooler even though our cars don't have a transmission, at least not in the traditional sense. The hose appears to go to the electric motor area so it could be cooling the motor.

The battery and inverter have their own radiator, when you look through the main big grill you can see a radiator with sort of a plastic screen protecting it, that's the battery/inverter radiator. Immediately behind it is the AC condenser, which sticks out a couple of inches below the battery/inverter radiator. Some people are concerned about those couple of inches of the condenser being exposed and have purchased a screen from Voltshop that attaches in front of the main grill. To see it go to their website and click on Honda Clarity at the top of the page.

They have so far not made a screen for the ATF cooler although I supposed you could fashion one yourself although not sure how to attach it securely.

·
Registered
14 Posts
FWIW, I have the Fuel Cell version of the Clarity and it, too, has the same opening and radiator/ filter looking thing at the back. Shortly after I got the car I bumped into a high curb while parking diagonally and upon checking for damage noticed the opening. Concerned that I must have dislodged the opening's grille, I phoned the dealer, and the agent ran out to look at their other Clarities. The dealer was as surprised as I was that there is nothing covering that opening.

Reactions: 2002

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

FWIW, I have the Fuel Cell version of the Clarity and it, too, has the same opening and radiator/ filter looking thing at the back. Shortly after I got the car I bumped into a high curb while parking diagonally and upon checking for damage noticed the opening. Concerned that I must have dislodged the opening's grille, I phoned the dealer, and the agent ran out to look at their other Clarities. The dealer was as surprised as I was that there is nothing covering that opening.
Thanks for the confirmation. It seems odd that the small radiator would be so vulnerable and exposed. But who am I to question a Honda engineers??? :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
It has been speculated on another form that this might the appendage of a Flux Capacitor from an early design of the Clarity.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's listed as ATF cooler even though our cars don't have a transmission, at least not in the traditional sense. The hose appears to go to the electric motor area so it could be cooling the motor.

The battery and inverter have their own radiator, when you look through the main big grill you can see a radiator with sort of a plastic screen protecting it, that's the battery/inverter radiator. Immediately behind it is the AC condenser, which sticks out a couple of inches below the battery/inverter radiator. Some people are concerned about those couple of inches of the condenser being exposed and have purchased a screen from Voltshop that attaches in front of the main grill. To see it go to their website and click on Honda Clarity at the top of the page.

They have so far not made a screen for the ATF cooler although I supposed you could fashion one yourself although not sure how to attach it securely.
I recently purchased from Steve at VoltShop the after market add-on grill to add protection for the AC condenser that sits behind the center of the main front grill area. At the same time I inquired of him if he has yet to consider making another protective grill covering for the above-mentioned smaller fin/coil condenser unit that rests deep inside the intake just under headlight assembly on the drivers side fender. Here is the response I received via email from Steve:

Dear Jim,

I have been asked about that little hole on the driver's side a number of times. In spite of all of the requests, I have yet to hear of any punctures of whatever it is back in there. I could make something for it, but because there is no grill in front of it, it would require screwing it into the bumper, or drilling holes for plastic ties, or some other intrusive mounting. So far, I have not had anyone pull their Clarity into my driveway to experiment on with this.

I think one reason there have been no reported punctures through this hole is because the path to the radiator back there is a bit long, the opening is a bit small, the path is not really straight. I am willing to make something, but the opportunity has not yet presented itself. HTH!

Thank you for thinking of me for this!

Steve

Stephen O'Hara
VoltShop
225 Andiron Lane
Rochester, NY 14612
585-415-8112

·
Registered
214 Posts
I recently purchased from Steve at VoltShop the after market add-on grill to add protection for the AC condenser that sits behind the center of the main front grill area. At the same time I inquired of him if he has yet to consider making another protective grill covering for the above-mentioned smaller fin/coil condenser unit that rests deep inside the intake just under headlight assembly on the drivers side fender. Here is the response I received via email from Steve:

Dear Jim,

I have been asked about that little hole on the driver's side a number of times. In spite of all of the requests, I have yet to hear of any punctures of whatever it is back in there. I could make something for it, but because there is no grill in front of it, it would require screwing it into the bumper, or drilling holes for plastic ties, or some other intrusive mounting. So far, I have not had anyone pull their Clarity into my driveway to experiment on with this.

I think one reason there have been no reported punctures through this hole is because the path to the radiator back there is a bit long, the opening is a bit small, the path is not really straight. I am willing to make something, but the opportunity has not yet presented itself. HTH!

Steve

Stephen O'Hara
VoltShop
225 Andiron Lane
Rochester, NY 14612
585-415-8112
Saved me a letter asking about the same thing. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
729 Posts

Dear Jim,

Steve

Stephen O'Hara
VoltShop
225 Andiron Lane
Rochester, NY 14612
585-415-8112
I measured the distance from the opening that we are talking about to the radiator behind it as 9 inches. I measured the distance from the front grill to the condenser as over 10 inches. So this is actually a shorter distance. Also I'm not sure what he means by it not being a straight shot.

I'm not sure if a good photo can be taken of this area, maybe with a work light positioned in a way to illuminate the chamber so that Steve can have a better idea what we are talking about. Understand however that he needs someone to allow him to experiment on their Clarity. I guess in the meantime I could buy a second clarity screen from him and cut it to the right size, or else wait for him to make one if he ever does. I remember hearing about someone making their own screen, but I am not sure what material they used. I would be concerned about using something with too tight of a mesh that might affect airflow to the radiator. I would assume that only rocks of a certain size are likely to cause real damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts