Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Clarity PEV Touring that I just purchased off my 3 year lease. Love the vehicle! 3 weeks ago I encountered an issue. I filled the fuel tank (from a little less than half full). The computer was showing about 235 miles remaining. The fuel gauge did not immediately come up to full. The computer did not recognize the tank had been filled and continued to show 235 miles remaining. I know that this is just an estimate and doesn't effect the actual range.

However, 3 weeks later the computer has still not updated. With a full charge it shows around 260 miles where for the last 3 years it would show around 400 with a full charge and a full tank.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there an easy way to force a computer reset?

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
476 Posts
There's at least one other thread around here somewhere that describes exactly the same issue. As Naughtysauce wrote, and IIRC, the 12V Auxiliary battery disconnect is a good place to start. It could reset your infotainment settings, though, so be prepared for that hassle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I think my current plan is to let the fuel level run down to a half tank, fill it up and see if that resets the mileage computer. I'm hesitant to disconnect the 12v battery since I don't want to have to re-enter my phone numbers, radio stations, Nav destinations and whatever else I may lose in doing that.

I will post an update if my patience is rewarded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try unplugging your 12 volt for at least 2 hours
Thanks for the info. I think my current plan is to let the fuel level run down to a half tank, fill it up and see if that resets the mileage computer. I'm hesitant to disconnect the 12v battery since I don't want to have to re-enter my phone numbers, radio stations, Nav destinations and whatever else I may lose in doing that.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I had a similar thing happen to me, but it stopped going lower even after the gas engine ran a number of times. For some reason I can't really explain it just stopped registering any use of the gas engine and would not update. I was also hesitant to unplug the 12V battery. What I was able to do was simply opening the fuel door AND removing and replacing the gas cap. I did this after turning the car off, and then turning the car back on and driving a bit in HV mode. Since for me the issue was having less range than advertised, it was then lowering the range estimate and once I refilled the tank it also updated to the previous "full tank" estimate. I did try just opening the fuel door, but that didn't fix the issue for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your post. I tried removing and replacing the gas cap. Unfortunately, it did not resolve the issue. I will top off the fuel tank later this week and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 Clarity PEV Touring that I just purchased off my 3 year lease. Love the vehicle! 3 weeks ago I encountered an issue. I filled the fuel tank (from a little less than half full). The computer was showing about 235 miles remaining. The fuel gauge did not immediately come up to full. The computer did not recognize the tank had been filled and continued to show 235 miles remaining. I know that this is just an estimate and doesn't effect the actual range.

However, 3 weeks later the computer has still not updated. With a full charge it shows around 260 miles where for the last 3 years it would show around 400 with a full charge and a full tank.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there an easy way to force a computer reset?
I seem to recall something like that but it's been at least 2 years. I believe I had several software updates installed shortly after that and have never seen it again. Might make sure you have all the updates.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts