Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received my first maintenance minder (A01) from the Clarity, as I am now approaching the one year mark with my base '21 PHEV. I have scheduled a service appointment for next weekend at the dealer, but I was wondering how many of you heed these minders.

Of course it's a good idea to regularly service a vehicle, but I'm curious what the group's feelings are on obeying these minders every time. Is it worth getting a little gouged by the dealer for the peace of mind, or is the Clarity programmed to be overly maintenance-happy just to keep getting our money?

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
I recently received my first maintenance minder (A01) from the Clarity, as I am now approaching the one year mark with my base '21 PHEV. I have scheduled a service appointment for next weekend at the dealer, but I was wondering how many of you heed these minders.

Of course it's a good idea to regularly service a vehicle, but I'm curious what the group's feelings are on obeying these minders every time. Is it worth getting a little gouged by the dealer for the peace of mind, or is the Clarity programmed to be overly maintenance-happy just to keep getting our money?
I serviced my '21 PHEV Touring at its 1-yr (A01) Maintenance Minder, at the dealer I bought it from. I figure it's a good idea to change the oil at one year intervals anyway, and it included a multi-point inspection...the first one since I bought it. This was free. I had them rotate the tires for thirty bucks, too. The Honda dealer near me (Norm Reeves, on Beach Blvd, HB, CA) isn't completely insane with their service pricing. Perhaps 10-20% higher than the independents, of which there are many. I'm willing to pay that extra amount for the "small stuff", because it doesn't add up to a whole lot of money, I know the techs are following Honda model-specific procedures and the vehicle maintenance records are all in one place. This is a pretty complex vehicle, and I want everything to be done correctly. It's not a sure thing, but I figure the odds are better at the dealer. YMMV.

·
Registered
699 Posts
While the car is under warranty always heed these reminders as not doing so will lead to Honda voiding the warranty. Once it's out of warranty then it's up to the owner. Personally I think my wife's Clarity will get it's oil changed anytime my Volt gets an oil change - roughly every 22 months.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
While the car is under warranty always heed these reminders as not doing so will lead to Honda voiding the warranty. Once it's out of warranty then it's up to the owner. Personally I think my wife's Clarity will get it's oil changed anytime my Volt gets an oil change - roughly every 22 months.
If the bulk of your miles are in EV mode, IMO, that's probably quite adequate.

·
Registered
699 Posts
My wife's 2018 Clarity PHEV has about 14,000 miles on it. 6,300 are estimated to be gas.

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
410 Posts
I just did my first oil change with the A01 reminder at just shy of 7000 miles. Probably 95% of my miles are EV miles. The oil looked like honey when it drained. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an oil change look that clean.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
296 Posts
I had the first year service done at the selling dealer (complementary, and since they didn't note tire rotation I brought it to America's Tire for that). Afterwards I did the servicing on my own and had tires rotated at my local America's Tire, until they noted this was the last rotation then next time I'd need to buy new tires. (I have since rotated them twice on my own. I guesstimate at 70k mi we'll truly need replacement tires).

I try to do what's really called for then just reset that one item. If you get the correct one there are usually at least a couple of months until the next necessary one....

·
Registered
699 Posts
I try to do what's really called for then just reset that one item. If you get the correct one there are usually at least a couple of months until the next necessary one....
Fortunately the infotainment system has these spelled out in plain English (or whatever language you have your car set to) so it's easy to reset just the maintenance you've done.

Reactions: jzchen

·
Registered
6 Posts

Those "required" service intervals are required for extended warranties (whether Honda, or 3rd party), too. That's the only reason I get my oil changed, as I very rarely drive with the ICE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought my 2018 used in July 2021 from a Honda dealer in Los Angeles. The car came with an extended power train warranty. The previous owner had followed maintenance reminders almost to the T as shown in Carfax. I basically follow the maintenance reminder plus 500-1000 miles, although 75% of my driving is EV. It is a good car with extended warranty, why risk it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, I do, for several reasons....first of all, when selling (IF I ever do!), the CarFax looks great with regular dealer servicing. Secondly, in the past (other Hondas) I've gotten a break if there's something barely out of warranty or other because I'm a regular customer that has had servicing done there and purchased several cars there. It really does make a difference! Finally, there has been more than once that there had been an update to something or other issued by American Honda that only Honda dealers get notified of....so they offered the (no cost) update while my car was there. Overall, I get great service from Ocean Honda in San Juan Capistrano...they go by the book and have always been super helpful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts