Honda Clarity Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
453 Posts
no! the did not provide any test result. they just said your car is working in normal order and requested the dealer to release the car to me !
Have the dealer run a battery capacity test.
If the capacity is under 66% of new, they should replace it under warranty.
Not sure how Canadian warranties/rights work, but in the US we have a 8 year / 160,000 KM battery warranty (10 years in California).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will sue them for refusing to fix my car as the warranty is still in effect and it dose not drive as what it was advertised! isn't that enough reason to sue them for? or you like to pay money and not get what you paid for! I paid over $52,000 Canadian dollars for this car for what they advertised and now I will take them to court to get my money back or get my damn car fixed !!!
what do you think Jordan ?
Would you be interested to collaborate going forward looking for a resolution in court? I'm having absolutely the same problem. Down from 80-82 to 42-52 km depends on the outside temperature. Only that the model is 2020.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I will sue them for refusing to fix my car as the warranty is still in effect and it dose not drive as what it was advertised! isn't that enough reason to sue them for? or you like to pay money and not get what you paid for! I paid over $52,000 Canadian dollars for this car for what they advertised and now I will take them to court to get my money back or get my damn car fixed !!!
what do you think Jordan ?
Just keep in mind that Honda never advertised the car as being able to get xx miles from a fully charged battery. It merely states that it has a “47-mile all-electric range rating*”. Where does the rating come from? What does the asterisk mean at the end of the statement? Those are things you probably should find out before you file a lawsuit. Their advertisement also states that it’s a 5-passenger vehicle but I can guarantee you that if each of those passengers weighs 400 pounds they will never fit!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just keep in mind that Honda never advertised the car as being able to get xx miles from a fully charged battery. It merely states that it has a “47-mile all-electric range rating*”. Where does the rating come from? What does the asterisk mean at the end of the statement? Those are things you probably should find out before you file a lawsuit. Their advertisement also states that it’s a 5-passenger vehicle but I can guarantee you that if each of those passengers weighs 400 pounds they will never fit!
At least here in Canada Honda is advertising that the Clarity 2020 will do up to 76 km in all-electric mode on a full charge. (18MY_Brochure_Clarity_EN_online.pdf (honda.ca) When I got the car (March 2020) it was making around 72 real km and after around 3000km it improved to 82-84 km range. The estimate on the dashboard was showing almost the same numbers, but have in mind my routine doesn't change much. Same route, same speed, same traffic every day. Up to the moment, the car shows a problem with the braking system. After two visits to the dealership, replacing of some motor at the rear that is managing the brakes plus resetting the onboard computer the car range dropped in a day down to 48 km. In the winter (a mild one here in Vancouver, most of the time above 0 - 4C) the range was down to 41-42. Now is 52. And this is with mainly me and half of the time my little boy inside, in total 100 kg. No much gas in the tank, no anything heavy in the trank. The charging station show almost the same amount of energy went to the battery - around 13 - 13.5 kW. Before the problem started I see most charges were between 14 -15 kW, so doesn't look like it's the battery capacity. Can be mechanical or battery performance once charged. Eventually battery cooling... I can only speculate. Unfortunately, the technical knowledge of the Honda servicing staff involved is a joke.

·
Registered
98 Posts
At least here in Canada Honda is advertising that the Clarity 2020 will do up to 76 km in all-electric mode on a full charge. (18MY_Brochure_Clarity_EN_online.pdf (honda.ca) When I got the car (March 2020) it was making around 72 real km and after around 3000km it improved to 82-84 km range. The estimate on the dashboard was showing almost the same numbers, but have in mind my routine doesn't change much. Same route, same speed, same traffic every day. Up to the moment, the car shows a problem with the braking system. After two visits to the dealership, replacing of some motor at the rear that is managing the brakes plus resetting the onboard computer the car range dropped in a day down to 48 km. In the winter (a mild one here in Vancouver, most of the time above 0 - 4C) the range was down to 41-42. Now is 52. And this is with mainly me and half of the time my little boy inside, in total 100 kg. No much gas in the tank, no anything heavy in the trank. The charging station show almost the same amount of energy went to the battery - around 13 - 13.5 kW. Before the problem started I see most charges were between 14 -15 kW, so doesn't look like it's the battery capacity. Can be mechanical or battery performance once charged. Eventually battery cooling... I can only speculate. Unfortunately, the technical knowledge of the Honda servicing staff involved is a joke.
Interesting. You might do well to visit a different dealer. My previous post was just to underscore the idea that you probably won’t have much success suing a company for a claim they made. Just about everyone gets “Up to 76 km range”. (“Up to” being the key expression)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Clarity and for the most part a happy customer. I've learned to deal with the fact that my dogs are going to regularly set the brake-hold and other transmission buttons (wish they weren't face up as if inviting my dogs paws); however, the steady decline in EV battery life over the past 2 years is getting me really mad. I only use the Level 1 charger that came with the car and recharge nightly. When I first got the car, I was excited to see anywhere from 54-57 EV range reported. The first winter it dropped into the low 40s but rebounded the next summer to right around 50. This past winter it dropped back into the upper 30s and never rebounded even as the Arizona temps got into the 100's. I finally took to dealer today who said there is nothing wrong with the car or battery....and nothing they can do about it. The car is still under warranty yet I've lost over 25% of my advertised EV range and this isn't a problem? If it was a gasoline only engine and in 2 years the MPG dropped by 25% in a vehicle below what it was advertised to provide, wouldn't someone other than the owner agree there is a problem?

Anyone else with a 2 year old Clarity seeing loss of EV range?
I purchased my vehicle 3 years old and the most I've got has been 40.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased my vehicle 3 years old and the most I've got has been 40.
Statements like this are (unknowingly) stating consumption=capacity.

Here’s an less than perfect analogy: my Prius, which typically has a 500 mile range, now only gets 400 miles so the gas tank must be getting smaller. Wait, what? :) No, my consumption has gotten worse (sport mode, added non-LRR tires, cheap gas, never got a tune up, etc). Now, if I can only get, say, 8 gallons of fuel into the 10 gallon tank every time I fill it up from empty, then, YES, I have lost tank capacity (see Prius rubber bladder issues).

Yes, batteries lose capacity over time. But one needs to know the capacity (new vs current) to accurately judge health. Gues-o-meter numbers reflect too much of the consumption factor to be an accurate tool.

As another example, my C-Max still shows the EPA estimate of 19-20 miles range but I also know it has lost a ton of capacity. So what gives? I’ve learned over the past 7 years to drive it locally on EV (typically under 30 mph) and HV on the highway and the guess-o-meter reflects that efficient driving. If instead I began using EV again on the highway, the estimated range would drop to 12-13 miles yet capacity is still the same.

Using a method that measures the amount of electricity needed to fully charge the vehicle (Kill-a-watt, smart EVSE’s, or vehicle data) is also a good way to keep an eye on things.

HTH

41 - 47 of 47 Posts