Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the “famliarization” of the car with the sales rep, we discovered that the image form the camera mounted on the passenger mirror wasn’t showing up on the infotainment screen. The sales rep said we should go finish the paperwork and service would investigate. After the papers are signed, we’re told that service would order parts and fix it. As we lived 50 miles away, I suggested they keep it and call me later in the week when it was finished.

That was 6/22….parts have not arrived and they don’t know when they will. In a few days, Michigan’s Lemon Law will kick in and i will have a new 2021 Crimson Honda Clarity PHEV with 12 miles on it that I never got to drive.

I have a hard time believing that the Lane Watch camera worked on 6/14 but failed on 6/22. My guess is that the kid doing the pre delivery inspection (PDI) faked it and moved on. But, of course, I have no way to prove that. But electronics like that doesn’t work one day and then fail the next…..something has to happen to it.

All I get from the Salesman, the Sales Manager and the Dealership owner is “we don’t know anything about when we’ll receive parts”. They blame Covid, parts shortages, supply chain issues, etc. But, according to them, Honda has no idea about the requisite parts. I find that REALLY hard to believe. Nobody in the entire Honda supply chain has ANY idea where the parts are…..REALLY?!? That stretches credulity.

I remind these folks that this is the 6th Honda car I’ve purchased and the 2nd vehicle I’ve bought from them in the last 5 months (I got my 2020 Chevy Bolt EV from their sister dealership next door back in March). This also has ZERO impact on our conversations.

Honda Customer Service has been no help either. A call to them this morning to get an update on my case allowed me to hear a message that his ally said “due to increased call volume, we’re two weeks behind in cases”. Great…..just great.

As the Clarity has been discontinued, I’ll move on to another PHEV (Escape, RAV4 Prime) to replace my wife’s CRV…..but either way, it’ll be months before this is settled and I can buy another car. I’ve been a Honda guy since the mid 80’s…..but this is a dealbreaker….it’s one thing to get bad support from one facet of an operation…..but to get totally hosed by everyone up and down the food chain? Nope….they’ve lost me!

Please let me know if you have had the same sort of Lane Watch failure and, if so, how it was dealt with. Email me offline at [email protected].

Dayle

·
Registered
45 Posts
...why did you finalize the deal on a vehicle that was known to be defective?
I’m not answering for the OP but have you NEEDED a vehicle and tried to purchase a new one this year? The market is crazy right now. I was and I would have signed and taken it home. That particular feature not working isn’t a deal breaker to me and can easily be worked around (just turn your head) till the parts (finally) arrive.

OP: good luck finding a RAV4 Prime at all but especially one that’s not way overpriced.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll state what just about every other reader here is thinking...

...why did you finalize the deal on a vehicle that was known to be defective?
With five previous Honda purchases and 750k+ miles under my belt, I had no reason to think that this issue could not have been handled easily and effectively by the dealer. After all, thats what they told us. Hindsight be 20/20, I guess I would have been more aggressive about putting a hold on the paperwork.

Update: I rec’d an email from the Sales Manager today that suggests the parts have been found in Japan and are on their way to the dealer. With any luck, this issue will be fixed within a couple of weeks and we can have our car. 🤞

Dayle

·
Registered
159 Posts
I’m not answering for the OP but have you NEEDED a vehicle and tried to purchase a new one this year? The market is crazy right now. I was and I would have signed and taken it home. That particular feature not working isn’t a deal breaker to me and can easily be worked around (just turn your head) till the parts (finally) arrive.

OP: good luck finding a RAV4 Prime at all but especially one that’s not way overpriced.
Yes, I have. I closed a deal on a Honda Clarity PHEV Touring on June 30th. I did have to buy an extended warranty, paint protectant and LoJack, though. Better than paying $5k and getting nothing, for a "Market Adjustment"

·
Registered
159 Posts
With five previous Honda purchases and 750k+ miles under my belt, I had no reason to think that this issue could not have been handled easily and effectively by the dealer. After all, thats what they told us. Hindsight be 20/20, I guess I would have been more aggressive about putting a hold on the paperwork.

Update: I rec’d an email from the Sales Manager today that suggests the parts have been found in Japan and are on their way to the dealer. With any luck, this issue will be fixed within a couple of weeks and we can have our car. 🤞

Dayle
Best of luck to you. They're great cars.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know the EV and FCV have been discontinued but what about the PHEV ?

Is the plug in Clarity being discontinued ???
All of them will be discontinued as of next month (August). That's why I pulled the trigger on a Clarity PHEV Touring on June 30th. They're only going to get harder to find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To me this is really a useless feature anyway, I disabled it in the first week.
Out of curiosity, it's besides the point on this topic, but is anyone using this feature?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Out of curiosity, it's besides the point on this topic, but is anyone using this feature?
I like it. The only time it becomes an issue for me is when I'm using the center screen for navigation. Then I use the left control stalk button to turn it off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yep, use it all the time. Just wish they would have put a camera on the driver's side too so when changing lanes to the left I wouldn't have to crane my neck to look behind/left.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Lane Watch is one of my favorite features. I would much rather see things for myself rather than have to rely on sensors beeping at me.

Sometimes I need to change lanes to the right, but not immediately just anytime in the next mile or so. So I turn on the lanewatch camera and watch for an opening. Quick glances at a screen in front of me seems safer than constantly turning my head or looking in the mirrors.

Just wish they would have put a camera on the driver's side too
I agree. Although I am grateful to at least have it on the right side where it is needed most.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oddly I thought I would never use it/hate it. I now realize I have come to use it more than I would have thought. I notice this when I drive my wife's CRV which doesn't have the feature. I still headcheck before changing lanes, though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As a quick update to this saga.....the parts were delivered to the dealership and it was repaired and ready for pickup on 8/7. That's 46 days that I was paying for a car, license plate, insurance, etc. when we did not actually have the car in our possession. I have called Honda Customer Care seven (7!) times starting on 6/25 and the only response was a call during the lunch hour on 8/11.

The car's working great and we love it....I'm just not a fan of how we've been treated by the entire Honda system....dealership, parts supply chain, customer support....all of them. Technically the car is a lemon by Michigan's definition so I may still have some leverage to get some funds back from the corporation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
In most states the lemon law (Magnison-Moss Warranty Act) requires 3 visits for the same issue. I was not aware of any time frame issues with regardto the law. In any case, due to the Covid19 supply issues there are ongoing delays. We bought a CRV Hybrid in December that had issues with one front sensor. After 2 tries to get it the dealership cannabilized another CRV for the part.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In most states the lemon law (Magnison-Moss Warranty Act) requires 3 visits for the same issue. I was not aware of any time frame issues with regardto the law. In any case, due to the Covid19 supply issues there are ongoing delays. We bought a CRV Hybrid in December that had issues with one front sensor. After 2 tries to get it the dealership cannabilized another CRV for the part.
Mag/Moss has nothing to do with Lemons, or Lemon Law.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mag/Moss has nothing to do with Lemons, or Lemon Law.
Random search; from a law firm: " One law takes precedence over all state lemon laws: the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. This federal law protects all Americans no matter what state in which they reside, offering consumers government support and legal tools when pursuing a lemon law claim against their defective vehicle’s manufacturer. The Magnuson-Moss Act is pivotal in lemon law, often acting as the firm backbone for individual state statutes"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts