Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been watching the used car market for some time and finally made the plunge. I saw a 2018 Clarity on Carvana and reserved it. Yesterday they notified me that it was mine and I had 48 hours to accept. I did accept and the car is being delivered in a week and a half. I feel like a kid waiting patiently for Christmas to come. I will probably be hanging out in these forums asking questions that were probably asked and answered many times.

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
359 Posts
I have been watching the used car market for some time and finally made the plunge. I saw a 2018 Clarity on Carvana and reserved it. Yesterday they notified me that it was mine and I had 48 hours to accept. I did accept and the car is being delivered in a week and a half. I feel like a kid waiting patiently for Christmas to come. I will probably be hanging out in these forums asking questions that were probably asked and answered many times.
Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How many miles and what was the price? I am looking too...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had my 2018 with about the same mileage exactly 6 months now and absolutely love it. I've owned dozens of cars and SUVs in my 65 years and have never been so smitten after 6 months. It's smooth and quiet beyond compare, has plenty of giddyup around town, and buying 5 gallons of gas has become about a once per month experience. I plug it in to my household socket (Level 1) around dinnertime everyday and by the next morning my guess-o-meter shows another 40+ miles of range, which I rarely use in a day. Only minor gripes are a weak AC in the Texas summer heat and sometimes I wish it had a bit more passing horsepower out on the highway at 75mph. Mechanically it has been flawless. Congrats and enjoy! You're going to love it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 2018 with about the same mileage exactly 6 months now and absolutely love it. I've owned dozens of cars and SUVs in my 65 years and have never been so smitten after 6 months. It's smooth and quiet beyond compare, has plenty of giddyup around town, and buying 5 gallons of gas has become about a once per month experience. I plug it in to my household socket (Level 1) around dinnertime everyday and by the next morning my guess-o-meter shows another 40+ miles of range, which I rarely use in a day. Only minor gripes are a weak AC in the Texas summer heat and sometimes I wish it had a bit more passing horsepower out on the highway at 75mph. Mechanically it has been flawless. Congrats and enjoy! You're going to love it!
Interesting about the AC. I live in Memphis Tn and it gets very hot and humid here as well. Can you give me a little more detail around the climate control issues?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Interesting about the AC. I live in Memphis Tn and it gets very hot and humid here as well. Can you give me a little more detail around the climate control issues?
I haven't had my AC system checked so it could be just low Freon issue. I noticed that when parked in the garage or in the shade it seems to work great. It blows cool air and gets the cabin comfortable fairly quickly. When parked in the sun however, it takes a long time to cool the cabin down, if at all. I've heard that it is common for the Clarity to develop leaks in the system, often due to small stones hitting the coils thru the opening in the lower front bumper. There's a guy who makes a screen that fits this opening perfectly. I don't have his info handy but will look him up if you're interested. The guard was inexpensive. Maybe $40. I bought one and installed it as a preventative, but as a 4 year old vehicle, the damage may already be done. I'll check the system next summer when it gets hot again.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
I haven't had my AC system checked so it could be just low Freon issue. I noticed that when parked in the garage or in the shade it seems to work great. It blows cool air and gets the cabin comfortable fairly quickly. When parked in the sun however, it takes a long time to cool the cabin down, if at all. I've heard that it is common for the Clarity to develop leaks in the system, often due to small stones hitting the coils thru the opening in the lower front bumper. There's a guy who makes a screen that fits this opening perfectly. I don't have his info handy but will look him up if you're interested. The guard was inexpensive. Maybe $40. I bought one and installed it as a preventative, but as a 4 year old vehicle, the damage may already be done. I'll check the system next summer when it gets hot again.
There were some defective A/C condensers that leaked, Honda Service Bulletin 21-017 was released May 28th, 2021 which extends the warranty to ten years on the A/C condenser for all model years of the Clarity. However if they find evidence that the leak was caused by rock damage then it would not be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think this is the screen you are talking about. I want to order one, but I haven't yet.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
598 Posts
I think this is the screen you are talking about. I want to order one, but I haven't yet.

I installed one of those. Looks great. it took about 30 minutes to do. If I wasn't in a front-plate-required state (CA), it would have taken less than ten minutes. It's held on with zip ties.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I installed one of those. Looks great. it took about 30 minutes to do. If I wasn't in a front-plate-required state (CA), it would have taken less than ten minutes. It's held on with zip ties.
We are getting a few tumbleweeds here now. The screen has saved me from having to pull out all sorts of debris from the cooing fins.

·
Registered
632 Posts
For passing power, use Sport Mode. When I'm on a two lane road I put the car into Sport Mode as I approach a pass and then take it out at the end of the pass.

Reactions: Madmartigen

·
Registered
24 Posts
For passing power, use Sport Mode. When I'm on a two lane road I put the car into Sport Mode as I approach a pass and then take it out at the end of the pass.
I just keep it in Sport mode or normal mode for highway driving, especially long distances. Then I haven't really noticed a lack of pickup.

For normal mode, I mean when you turn off Eco mode, but don't turn on Sport mode.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
I just keep it in Sport mode or normal mode for highway driving, especially long distances. Then I haven't really noticed a lack of pickup.

For normal mode, I mean when you turn off Eco mode, but don't turn on Sport mode.
It's the same amount of power in all three modes, they just map the accelerator pedal movement differently to give a different feel. Econ mode you have to move the accelerator pedal the farthest to get maximum power, Sport mode the least. Normal mode is in between.

One advantage of Econ mode is that you have to press the pedal past the detent or "click" before ICE comes on. That makes it easier to avoid accidentally turning on ICE during harder acceleration. In Sport mode ICE will come on well before reaching the detent, and thus it's much easier to accidentally kick it on.

Some people use Sport mode on the highway in HV mode, since in that case you aren't worried about activating ICE since it's already on. Some like obermd turn it on briefly during higher power demand situations. Other people keep it in Sport Mode all the time because they like the fact that it will stay in four chevron regen for the duration of the drive, unlike Econ and Normal where four chevron regen goes away once you press the gas pedal. So this means you only have to use the paddles at the beginning of the drive to set regen at four chevrons and it will stay there, unlike Econ and Normal where it keeps resetting regen back to one chevron, and you have to use the paddles every time you slow down if you want higher regen.

·
Registered
632 Posts

Eco mode and the ACC don't mix well. Normal mode keeps a much tighter speed control when no one is in front of you.

Reactions: Madmartigen

·
Registered
22 Posts
It could be the humidity. I live in a dry climate with the summertime temps at 110F-115F frequently and the A/C works very well.
I'm in Fort Worth. Humidity is not too bad here. It's May now and temps are back up into the 90s already. My AC works only in the morning before the heat hits. Later in the day my cabin gets uncomfortably hot. I tried to make an appointment with my Honda dealer to get it checked but they want it at least 4 days just to look at it and do not have any loaner cars. Not sure how to proceed without having to leave it at the dealer and rent a car at my own expense. Once diagnosed, and if it's the condenser, it may be a long while to get it fixed. I understand the part is not readily available.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
203 Posts
That makes absolutely no sense why they need to keep your car for 4 days.

Can you check with Norm Reeves and/or Burleson?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts