Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a short trip to the store earlier, and the infotainment screen did not come on when I started the car. When I put the Clarity in reverse, the backup camera did not come on. For the whole trip, the screen didn't display the right mirror camera or anything else. When I pressed the home button, it made a rapid 3-beep error sound. I considered shutting off the car and restarting it while I was still in the driveway, but I wanted to see if it would come back on at some point in the trip. No such luck.

When I got back in the car after going to the store, it worked as usual. The only thing I can think of that might have caused the issue was that I put it in gear before the HondaLink startup screen came on, so maybe that kind of scrambled its brains? Maybe it needs a few seconds for everything to start up properly? I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I took a short trip to the store earlier, and the infotainment screen did not come on when I started the car. When I put the Clarity in reverse, the backup camera did not come on. For the whole trip, the screen didn't display the right mirror camera or anything else. When I pressed the home button, it made a rapid 3-beep error sound. I considered shutting off the car and restarting it while I was still in the driveway, but I wanted to see if it would come back on at some point in the trip. No such luck.

When I got back in the car after going to the store, it worked as usual. The only thing I can think of that might have caused the issue was that I put it in gear before the HondaLink startup screen came on, so maybe that kind of scrambled its brains? Maybe it needs a few seconds for everything to start up properly? I'm hoping it was just a fluke.

Has anyone else experienced this before?
I've experienced this in pretty much every EV I've ever owned.

I thought of it this way...I wouldn't plug a USB stick into my PC and expect it to be available before the machine has finished booting, so I don't expect a car to do what I want before it's fully booted either. There are at least a half-dozen processors in these things, and they have to all agree that they're good to go before giving the driver full control. I see it as akin to the Flight Director of a rocket launch polling every section head right before launch.

I learned to get around this in my EV-1s by re-ordering my car-start ritual:

Open the door
Sit down
Push the brake and push START
Close the door
Adjust the seat
Adjust the mirrors
Put on the seat belt
Etc.

By then, the car has fully booted and is good to go, and it didn't take any longer to "wait" for the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've experienced this in pretty much every EV I've ever owned.

I thought of it this way...I wouldn't plug a USB stick into my PC and expect it to be available before the machine has finished booting, so I don't expect a car to do what I want before it's fully booted either. There are at least a half-dozen processors in these things, and they have to all agree that they're good to go before giving the driver full control. I see it as akin to the Flight Director of a rocket launch polling every section head right before launch.

I learned to get around this in my EV-1s by re-ordering my car-start ritual:

Open the door
Sit down
Push the brake and push START
Close the door
Adjust the seat
Adjust the mirrors
Put on the seat belt
Etc.

By then, the car has fully booted and is good to go, and it didn't take any longer to "wait" for the car.
I figured I just didn't give it enough time to boot. It was just jarring to have it not come on considering it has ~350 miles and I've had it for less than a month! It hasn't happened since.

I know Hondas are among the highest quality vehicles around, but the new cars these days with all their third-party tech, sometimes I worry mo' tech mo' problems. The snazziness of all the digital systems and screens is great, as long as they don't fail on me and leave the car inoperable and/or costly to repair.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I figured I just didn't give it enough time to boot.
I doubt if that was it. Try it again and I'll bet it doesn't happen. I often put my car in gear immediately, about two or three seconds after powering on, long before the infotainment screen boots up. If I put it in reverse the backup camera immediately comes on. That's because the backup camera is direct video that bypasses the Android system. I've never had a problem putting it into gear this fast. Since your backup camera didn't work either it probably wasn't the infotainment system it was maybe the circuitry for the screen itself that for some reason didn't power on.

If you ever do have weird infotainment problems that don't go away they can often be solved by rebooting infotainment, you can do this by pressing and holding the audio power button for about ten seconds until you get a message asking if you want to reboot. You can even do this while you are driving. You won't lose any settings doing this.

Just to confirm my earlier point about direct video, I went out to my car and started it up, then I began a reboot of infotainment. While infotainment was in the middle of rebooting I put it in reverse and my backup camera worked fine. As did the LaneWatch camera which is also direct video.

As for immediately going into gear, that is mainly when I am backing out of my garage. When I get in the car I immediately power on and put it in reverse. Before releasing the brake I look at the backup camera. At that point my best view is from the camera because I am still in the garage but the back of the car is near the garage opening and the wide angle of the camera gives me an excellent view not only immediately behind me but also on either side of my driveway which I cannot see from the driver seat even if I turn my head around. I then start backing very slowly out of the garage, keeping an eye on the backup camera as I put on my seatbelt (which I can do without looking). As the middle of the car (the part with me in it) approaches the garage door opening I begin glancing to the sides, from that point on the entire time that I am slowly backing into the street I am constantly shifting my glace from side to side as well as the glancing at the camera in case a pet or something slipped in immediately behind me.

In a parking lot I don't immediately put it into reverse, because even though I follow the same procedure of looking in all directions before I begin slowly backing up, any car passing by me and seeing my reverse lights come on will likely become alarmed as they have no idea if I am about to shoot out without looking like so many people do, so I wait until it is clear before putting it into reverse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I doubt if that was it. Try it again and I'll bet it doesn't happen. I often put my car in gear immediately, about two or three seconds after powering on, long before the infotainment screen boots up. If I put it in reverse the backup camera immediately comes on.
While I agree with EV Nerd that waiting the few seconds for everything to come on is probably best, I'll try immediately putting it in gear next time I drive to see if this happens again.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I don't see why waiting is necessary. The premise would be that the car would allow you to put it into gear before the car is fully ready to drive. Even though on the display it says READY (it won't let you put it into gear until the READY indicator appears).

Actually when I got my first hybrid many years ago (a Prius) the thing that I really liked is that I no longer had to wait for the engine oil to begin circulating, if I was ready to go I could just go. That's because for the first couple of minutes I would be backing out of my garage and then driving slowly through my neighborhood, so the electric motor was providing the power during that time. The gas engine came on about fifteen seconds after startup whether the car was moving or not, but at those speeds it just idled as it warmed up. And with my Clarity the gas engine doesn't come on at all unless I were to floor it, which I would never do in my neighborhood. Same thing in a parking lot in my Prius, I would just start going, no need to give the engine thirty seconds or so like I used to do with my gas cars. Although some people say that modern car engines circulate the oil almost immediately and you don't have to wait, maybe that's true I don't know.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I don't see why waiting is necessary. The premise would be that the car would allow you to put it into gear before the car is fully ready to drive. Even though on the display it says READY (it won't let you put it into gear until the READY indicator appears).

Actually when I got my first hybrid many years ago (a Prius) the thing that I really liked is that I no longer had to wait for the engine oil to begin circulating, if I was ready to go I could just go. That's because for the first couple of minutes I would be backing out of my garage and then driving slowly through my neighborhood, so the electric motor was providing the power during that time. The gas engine came on about fifteen seconds after startup whether the car was moving or not, but at those speeds it just idled as it warmed up. And with my Clarity the gas engine doesn't come on at all unless I were to floor it, which I would never do in my neighborhood. Same thing in a parking lot in my Prius, I would just start going, no need to give the engine thirty seconds or so like I used to do with my gas cars. Although some people say that modern car engines circulate the oil almost immediately and you don't have to wait, maybe that's true I don't know.
Yes, I have had this problem happen exactly once since I’ve owned the car. For some weird reason the infotainment screen was blank but the car drove ok. I think everything corrected itself after I shut the car off and turned it back on. But I always put the car into reverse almost immediately after I turn it on and well before the infotainment system fully boots up. Only once have I had this problem and I have no explanation for it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
While I agree with EV Nerd that waiting the few seconds for everything to come on is probably best, I'll try immediately putting it in gear next time I drive to see if this happens again.
Of course probably we don't always need to be in such a hurry ;). Actually as I mentioned I never just go rushing off in the car as that's not safe. I always move slowly when backing out or while in parking lots, and try not to rush. It's just sometimes I get in the car and I am immediately ready to go so I don't wait to begin moving. Unless I am using Google Maps then I have to wait for the infotainment screen to boot up. Although I found that if you launch Google Maps first on your phone before plugging in, and select your destination and start navigating, then when you plug in your phone Google Maps automatically launches on the infotainment screen and is already showing the route. I find it's easier to search destinations on my phone than on the Android Auto screen which has much more limited search capability.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My guess is you experienced a crashed/frozen/reboot of the slow android system. I get these every time we use auto-start via the FOB (can’t get app to work) and satellite radio is tuned.

You can force a reboot by simply holding the audio power button till the reboot screen appears then click “yes”.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts