Honda Clarity Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
@NeedSomeClarity, have you talked to Honda Leasing directly? Skip the dealerships as they have no incentive to deal with you.

Reactions: 4sallypat

·
Super Moderator
526 Posts
@NeedSomeClarity, have you talked to Honda Leasing directly? Skip the dealerships as they have no incentive to deal with you.
I spoke to Honda Financial Leasing over the phone when my CU bank wanted the lease buyout package sent to them for the financing.

The nice rep said that Honda is working on releasing an EV only vehicle to replace the recent discontinued Clarity lineup.

Don't know if that is insider info, but at least it was worth keeping in mind....

·
Registered
187 Posts
I spoke to Honda Financial Leasing over the phone when my CU bank wanted the lease buyout package sent to them for the financing.

The nice rep said that Honda is working on releasing an EV only vehicle to replace the recent discontinued Clarity lineup.

Don't know if that is insider info, but at least it was worth keeping in mind....
It will also be available as an Acura model in the same time frame.

SUV form factor and 2-3 years away

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts
It will also be available as an Acura model in the same time frame.

SUV form factor and 2-3 years away
Like everybody else, Honda has bought into the "bigger is better" mantra.

I don't want a behemoth SUV. Give me an efficient sedan, any day of the week. Alas, Billy-Bob doesn't want efficiency, he wants a substitute for his small Johnson, and automakers seem more interested in Billy-Bobs than in more reasonable consumers.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Like everybody else, Honda has bought into the "bigger is better" mantra.

I don't want a behemoth SUV. Give me an efficient sedan, any day of the week. Alas, Billy-Bob doesn't want efficiency, he wants a substitute for his small Johnson, and automakers seem more interested in Billy-Bobs than in more reasonable consumers.
The Clean Air Act of 1970 put less stringent emissions standards on light duty trucks than passenger cars. Billy-Bob has bought into Detroit's 40+ years of marketing trucks to individuals. It has nothing to do with Johnson size and everything to do with a weak mind.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts
The Clean Air Act of 1970 put less stringent emissions standards on light duty trucks than passenger cars. Billy-Bob has bought into Detroit's 40+ years of marketing trucks to individuals. It has nothing to do with Johnson size and everything to do with a weak mind.
There's often a correlation...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Eventually as quick charging stations become more common, even most BEV owners can probably get along okay with level 1 charging at home since that will cover most of their daily driving, and when they do need to go a bit further, or get a little behind, they can just pull into a fueling station for a quick fill up. Of course many BEV owners will go ahead and install level 2 just for the convenience, but it would be an option, not a requirement, and that makes a big difference when it comes to public acceptance.
Level 1 charging only occurs in the US, Canada, and Mexico. The rest of the world uses 240V A/C as the standard. Personally, I have a L1 and L2 charger at home. I keep my Volt on the L2 charger and the Clarity on the L1 charger. The Volt gets driven daily and the Clarity doesn't, so the faster charging makes sense there.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts
Level 1 charging only occurs in the US, Canada, and Mexico. The rest of the world uses 240V A/C as the standard. Personally, I have a L1 and L2 charger at home. I keep my Volt on the L2 charger and the Clarity on the L1 charger. The Volt gets driven daily and the Clarity doesn't, so the faster charging makes sense there.
And don't forget that the Clarity OEM EVSE will work at 240V (with an adapter), if it's available where you plug in your Clarity.

·
Registered
152 Posts
At some point I would think that the auto dealers will offer a "coupon" or some such incentive to have a 240v outlet installed by a local electrician as part of the car purchase (subject to the ability to install where the car is parked). If the buyer already has the appropriate outlet then the charge could be removed or used as a service or maintenance coupon.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
362 Posts
At some point I would think that the auto dealers will offer a "coupon" or some such incentive to have a 240v outlet installed by a local electrician as part of the car purchase (subject to the ability to install where the car is parked). If the buyer already has the appropriate outlet then the charge could be removed or used as a service or maintenance coupon.
Several entities (makers, utilities, governments) do already offer this as an incentive.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Japan probably has Level 1 charging too as their standard voltage is 100V.

·
Registered
500 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
We leased a 2018 Clarity Touring in January of 2019. The MSRP was 37, we let the dealer take the 7,500 tax credit, and signed a lease agreement stating that the residual value of the car at the end of the lease would be 15,000.

So off we go today, to spend hours at Honda where they presented us with a finance agreement through our credit union, with a total that was thousands more than the payoff value.

Their figure included the 15000 RV, plus the last two lease payments, plus taxes. So far, so good, right? That's all kosher.

Then there was what was explained as the "mandatory" $500 Honda charges for any and all lease buyouts, whether you do it before the lease ends or at the end to fhe lease, the $850 gap insurance, and the $2700 extended warranty.

We sent them back to take out the extraneous charges and give us the figures based on the RV alone. An hour later the finance manager comes back to tell us that ooopsie, so sorry, Honda isn't letting anyone buy out their lease.

So, though we would like to keep our car, it seems that we cannot. Has anyone else run into this problem?
I just purchased my vehicle off of the lease 2 months ago. It went very smoothly. Orange County, CA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My local dealer said they never had one. The sales guy had never heard of it (but their service manager knew what it was, and came out to look it over). Other than mine, I have only seen 2 others in the whole of So. Utah. I bought mine because I wanted something different than a Prius (had 3 previously) and a little more room and more luxury.
We were repeat Prius owners as well, but researched the new car market every time before going back to the Prius. so we knew exactly what a phenomenal car the Clarity was. We too liked the fact that it is larger, heavier, and more luxurious than the Prius.
t
But even though we are in California, our dealer and salesman seemed about as clueless as yours. The sole PHEV Touring on the dealer's lot had attracted very little interest, and we knew more about the car than they did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We leased a 2018 Clarity Touring in January of 2019. The MSRP was 37, we let the dealer take the 7,500 tax credit, and signed a lease agreement stating that the residual value of the car at the end of the lease would be 15,000.

So off we go today, to spend hours at Honda where they presented us with a finance agreement through our credit union, with a total that was thousands more than the payoff value.

Their figure included the 15000 RV, plus the last two lease payments, plus taxes. So far, so good, right? That's all kosher.

Then there was what was explained as the "mandatory" $500 Honda charges for any and all lease buyouts, whether you do it before the lease ends or at the end to fhe lease, the $850 gap insurance, and the $2700 extended warranty.

We sent them back to take out the extraneous charges and give us the figures based on the RV alone. An hour later the finance manager comes back to tell us that ooopsie, so sorry, Honda isn't letting anyone buy out their lease.

So, though we would like to keep our car, it seems that we cannot. Has anyone else run into this problem?
Absolute lie from the dealer. Unless you have credit issues the dealer is trying to milk you on warranty and Gap.
Call Honda finance and inform them of what dealer is telling you.
I have 2 clarity’s and the fuel sell I Honda will not let anybody buy them, but we knew that from start. My plug in I bought in April just prior to my lease end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We were repeat Prius owners as well, but researched the new car market every time before going back to the Prius. so we knew exactly what a phenomenal car the Clarity was. We too liked the fact that it is larger, heavier, and more luxurious than the Prius.
t
But even though we are in California, our dealer and salesman seemed about as clueless as yours. The sole PHEV Touring on the dealer's lot had attracted very little interest, and we knew more about the car than they did.
Please remember that Honda only produced 77k world wide and most dealers bever got one.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts