Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! This just started a couple of days ago. I park outside - maybe it's the extreme heat we've experienced in the NE US?

It's a 2018 PHEV, and I love it. Everything has been great, and keep up with regular fluid changes and tires.

When I drive the car and hit 15 mph, the ICE/engine starts, and it doesn't stop until I slow the car below 15 or stop it.

It's annoying and feels like something's wrong. I've completed a 12v reset to no avail.

I'm due to take it to the local Honda dealer but would love to see if you all have some advice. I've combed through the boards and can't find a solution...yet! ;-)

Thank you, Todd

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Help! This just started a couple of days ago. I park outside - maybe it's the extreme heat we've experienced in the NE US?

It's a 2018 PHEV, and I love it. Everything has been great, and keep up with regular fluid changes and tires.

When I drive the car and hit 15 mph, the ICE/engine starts, and it doesn't stop until I slow the car below 15 or stop it.

It's annoying and feels like something's wrong. I've completed a 12v reset to no avail.

I'm due to take it to the local Honda dealer but would love to see if you all have some advice. I've combed through the boards and can't find a solution...yet! ;-)

Thank you, Todd
BTW I have 41k miles on the vehicle

· Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
432 Posts

Thank you, Todd
I’m assuming that you’re surprised because the hybrid battery is showing as fully charged, right?

· Registered
731 Posts
How do you know the ICE is running? I do know the Clarity has an engine maintenance cycle that will run the ICE even though the car is showing EV mode. This mode should run for 10 to 15 minutes to get the ICE and associated equipment, including the catalytic converter, to temperature.

Reactions: Peaceful Peter

· Registered
19 Posts

Thank you, Todd
A few months ago my Clarity was doing some strange things. I disconnected the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes and let everything reset. Upon reconnecting all of the warning lights were freaking out. However they cleared up in less than a mile of driving and then the car behaved just fine.

· Registered
1 Posts
I suspect that you have a sensor that has failed or the HV mode selection switch is stuck in HV mode. There was another post on another forum where the poster was having a similar problem. Its the sort of problem that is hard to diagnose since these aren't things that would necessarily show up a "failed" on an ODB scanner. If the sensor gives an expected reading it doesn't report as failed and a stuck switch won't show as a problem. I thought it might be a software problem but have figured that it really is a case similar to "garbage in - garbage out." Good luck tacking down the cause.

· Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
432 Posts
I suspect that you have a sensor that has failed or the HV mode selection switch is stuck in HV mode. There was another post on another forum where the poster was having a similar problem. Its the sort of problem that is hard to diagnose since these aren't things that would necessarily show up a "failed" on an ODB scanner. If the sensor gives an expected reading it doesn't report as failed and a stuck switch won't show as a problem. I thought it might be a software problem but have figured that it really is a case similar to "garbage in - garbage out." Good luck tacking down the cause.
If it is a case of the switch being stuck in HV mode then you should see indication of that on the display and you would find it impossible to return to EV mode.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts