Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps one of you can direct me to a previously posted answer to this question, or the geniuses here can explain how to do this. Thanks in advance.
I would like to keep track of the number of miles (or engine hours if the engine is only charging the battery) that the engine runs. I remember that I read somewhere (here?) that one can set the odometer or tripometer to do this, but...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Perhaps one of you can direct me to a previously posted answer to this question, or the geniuses here can explain how to do this. Thanks in advance.
I would like to keep track of the number of miles (or engine hours if the engine is only charging the battery) that the engine runs. I remember that I read somewhere (here?) that one can set the odometer or tripometer to do this, but...
No way to do what you ask that I’m aware of, or have ever heard of.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Your question can go a lot of different directions depending on what you are trying to accomplish, so if you share that it will help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your question can go a lot of different directions depending on what you are trying to accomplish, so if you share that it will help.
Sorry for the delay, 2002
I want to keep track of how much time the engine runs, and mpg, although I know that the engine is not always running to drive the wheels.
This started out when I saw the maintenance AO12 come up and my thought was that in June I had the car in for its first maintenance call after purchase at 6K+ miles and now it is 13K. Since I've only put in 28 gals of fuel since then, I wondered how much the engine had actually run and why change the oil.
I've read a lot of your, and other's, posts and somewhat understand the complexity of this issue, but old habits die hard in old geezers, and as it took me many years to stop changing the oil after 3k and let it go to 5k, this seems like overkill even in regard to that old 3k oil change criteria. I'll be interested in your comments and thanks for your time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good that you have the number of gallons of gas that has been used because that is what you need in order to estimate the number of miles driven on gas. Using the EPA estimated mpg it would be 48 gallons x 42 mpg = 2,016 estimated miles that have been driven on gasoline since your last oil change. Well short of even the super conservative 3,000 mile interval.

Of course the accuracy of this estimate is based on the accuracy of the two pieces of data. Assuming that the number of gallons pumped is reasonably accurate, then this just leaves mpg. The only way to obtain actual mpg is to drive exclusively in HV mode. Doing this for two tankfuls would probably be good enough to get a reasonable average. What you would do is let EV miles go down to 0 so that the car switches to HV, then as soon as it is convenient fill up the car and note the odometer reading (or reset one of the trip odometers to 0). Then on the next fill up divide the number of miles driven since the last fill up by the number gallons pumped to get the mpg. Recommend do this for at least one more tankful then average the two numbers, or to be more accurate divide total miles for the two tankfuls by the total gallons pumped for the two tankfuls. This will give you a pretty accurate mpg which you can use in the other calculation to estimate the number of miles driven on gas.

Of course the mpg value that you get from this test is only accurate for similar driving conditions, so try and do the test when you are doing your normal type of driving. And for even more accuracy run these tests in both winter and summer.

Then again in your situation if you have only used 48 gallons since your last oil change, then unless you spend your weekends doing drag racing the 42 mpg estimate is probably good enough. But I would still recommend change the oil by June so that you are within the one-year maximum that is stated in the owners manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts