Honda Clarity Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
I don't think we really know what Clarity does if the gas gets really old, say over a year,
The answer is the Clarity does NOTHING to detect old gas. I know this because my wife's Clarity burned so little gas that after 13 months the tank still showed full (not a single bar dropped). When I asked my dealership service department they tried to tell me the Clarity burns gas anytime you go over some predetermined speed - in other words they thought it was a gas/electric hybrid and not an electric/gas hybrid.

Edit: My Volt went 345 days before it entered Fuel Maintenance Mode. I burned through all the gas (as in ran the tank dry) and then put $10.00 (2.8 gallons) of gas into the tank.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've got an oddball predicament here. We used to be Prius owners and we traded up to a 2019 Clarity in 10/2019.
This was the car my wife was to use because it was the perfect car for her to commute and not use gas as she would drive to/from the train station (6 miles combined). 2 years out, it has been the worst fit. She just doesn't bother and doesn't remind herself to plug the vehicle in so it's just been an impractical fit. The first oil change was about a year since we bought the car and it was included as part of the purchase. That was around 3700miles.
We've only put on around 4k miles since the last oil change and we now have a reminder (A012). Granted my wife pays zero attention to the gauge and just drives in ICE mode and then complains why does the car make that engine noise (it wouldn't if you just plugged the damn thing in every night). I would say about 30-50% has been driven on ICE. What should I be doing ? I don't do the oil changes myself. When I had the Prius, I took it to the Toyota dealership with the Oil and the Filter. They charged my about $10 and I was good with that. Going to call the Honda dealerships around me if they allow a similar practice. I can change the cabin filter myself. A thing I always worry about with service being performed at the dealership is whether they will actually use the correct oil (if I didn't provide it myself). Imagine them putting in non-synthetic instead. The ICE would be f***ed and I wouldn't even know it.
Curious to know whether I should go through with this oil change at about 7900miles on the Odometer (rotation makes sense, but I can get that done at Costco).
You might explain that she's throwing away money every time the vehicle's filled up. It's probably $3 a gallon for gas, and half that for electricity.

It needs to be said...If you're the one responsible for filling the gas tank, you're enabling her. A few visits to the gas station to do it herself might entice her to plug in at home, instead. It takes less time and effort to plug in than fill with gas, and you don't have to suffer through virus-infested, smelly gas pump handles, and dirty hands on the steering wheel, either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not one for throwing shade on the Honda dealer but my experience when I had my first oil change done (Thousand Oaks, CA):
After it was complete I asked the service manager how often a clarity PHEV needs an oil change if I only use 10 gallons of gasoline per year. He responded that the engine is on all the time so I need the oil changes more frequently. That was strike one.
On my way home I engaged the hybrid drive and very briefly saw the "check engine oil" light turn on then off. I interpret this to mean that the tech working on the car didn't even turn on the ICE after changing my oil. Strike two.
The appointment was at 9am and it took three hours for the entire thing. Strike three.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just checked my oil. I have 4300 miles on the car, with maybe 1000 in HV mode. The oil looks as clean as new. Oil changes are no problem as all 3 of our cars use a Fram ph7317 filter and 0-20w oil. The hardest part is getting the under bonnet off to access the filter and drain plug

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm not one for throwing shade on the Honda dealer but my experience when I had my first oil change done (Thousand Oaks, CA):
After it was complete I asked the service manager how often a clarity PHEV needs an oil change if I only use 10 gallons of gasoline per year. He responded that the engine is on all the time so I need the oil changes more frequently. That was strike one.
On my way home I engaged the hybrid drive and very briefly saw the "check engine oil" light turn on then off. I interpret this to mean that the tech working on the car didn't even turn on the ICE after changing my oil. Strike two.
The appointment was at 9am and it took three hours for the entire thing. Strike three.
My Honda dealership, which is considered one of the best in the Denver metro area, also has a huge blind spot when it comes to how the Clarity PHEV operates. They're also not the fastest at oil changes. I do change the oil annually while the car is under the powertrain warranty, but once it leaves the powertrain warranty I'll probably use my Volt to tell me when to change the oil in both cars. The Volt will go 24 months between oil changes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I wish there was an accessible engine-hour counter in the Clarity. It's the best way to keep track of maintenance intervals. I learned about this stuff when I drove a forklift, while selling building materials, when I was an undergrad.

Miles driven on the ICE will get you close, but it's not as meaningfully accurate, and we don't even have that.

What we have now is about as transparent as a slab of iron.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts