Honda Clarity Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
About the worry of "old" gas, most people are looking back at yesteryears when gas sitting around in cans went stale within a half year.
There are a couple of reasons not to be concerned with the gas we get today.
The chemical components of the gas are much improved. The gas no longer settles out when stored which was a huge issue in the past.
If lawnmowers or generators sat with gas in the carburetors the settled components in the gas would clog jets and orifices and cause all sorts of problems, we do not see that with todays gas.
Secondly with the cars driven daily the gas in constantly getting stirred thus avoiding any settlement.

Personally I stay clear of using any type of stabilizers in today gasoline, they simply are not needed and are more opt to cause problems.

Oil change once a year with filter is what I will do with the Clarity.

·
Registered
368 Posts
About the worry of "old" gas, most people are looking back at yesteryears when gas sitting around in cans went stale within a half year.
There are a couple of reasons not to be concerned with the gas we get today.
The chemical components of the gas are much improved. The gas no longer settles out when stored which was a huge issue in the past.
If lawnmowers or generators sat with gas in the carburetors the settled components in the gas would clog jets and orifices and cause all sorts of problems, we do not see that with todays gas.
Secondly with the cars driven daily the gas in constantly getting stirred thus avoiding any settlement.

Personally I stay clear of using any type of stabilizers in today gasoline, they simply are not needed and are more opt to cause problems.

Oil change once a year with filter is what I will do with the Clarity.
The detergents and ethanol will still settle out of today's gasoline, causing problems. As for gas stabilizers, only use those in a 2-stroke engine, not in a computer controlled system found in today's cars.

·
Registered
540 Posts
About the worry of "old" gas, most people are looking back at yesteryears when gas sitting around in cans went stale within a half year. There are a couple of reasons not to be concerned with the gas we get today. The chemical components of the gas are much improved. The gas no longer settles out when stored which was a huge issue in the past.

If lawnmowers or generators sat with gas in the carburetors the settled components in the gas would clog jets and orifices and cause all sorts of problems, we do not see that with todays gas. Secondly with the cars driven daily the gas in constantly getting stirred thus avoiding any settlement.

I agree that the concern is much less nowadays, however we are still at the mercy of the gasoline producers to do everything exactly right, really even more so the people who make the additives. So I think it's reasonable to try and replace the gas at least once a year. As obermd informed us that is what the Volt does. And realistically if someone is going more than a year without using even one tank of gasoline then it calls into question why they bought a PHEV in the first place instead of an EV. Even the lowest range EV's on the market today far exceed the electric miles we get with our Clarities. I'm not knocking anyone in this situation, maybe they got a great deal, really like the Clarity, and at the time weren't sure what their driving needs would be. But if someone finds themselves just not using gasoline, then I agree don't use stabilizers, but I still think it would be wise to replace the gas once a year.

On a similar note if my engine hasn't started for a month on its own I go ahead and run HV briefly just to keep things circulated. Maybe that's not necessary, but I still think it's a good idea because we don't really know for sure how well the engine does when not run for several months. I'm not saying it will ruin it, but I also think the Honda engineers assumed that someone buying a PHEV will use the gas engine every once in a while. They did seem to build in a safeguard for that with the System Check that occurs, but some people say their engine sometimes goes for months without running. Probably that's okay, but it's so easy to just fire up the engine for a few minutes each month just to be sure..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with the practice of running the ICE occasionally for 10min or so to keep things lubricated to avoid seals drying internally etc.

Just as running the AC periodically to avoid the same.

I also fully agree you cannot store gas for years as it will deteriorate over time.

I also still say that the gas we have today is much improved to avoid deterioration but there tend to be a scare to advocate 3-5 month of non use at the most. Ethanol does play a factor but it is much reduced since most newer engines are feed by closed evaporation systems, thus not effected by humidity in the air.

The 1995 or 1996 EPA fuel quality act made a big difference and there has been a constant improvement in the quality of gas since then.

I can remember lots of gas problems in the 70s and 80s it was very common to have carburetors plug up after non use of 5-6 month

Kind of ironic that gas is on the way out now that it finally in getting better?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Like mentioned above, if you have to worry about your gas going bad, you probably chose the wrong vehicle. If you don't use the ICE enough in a year or more to even half empty the tank, a BEV would very likely have been a better choice.
If you take one long road trip every 2 years, don't have second vehicle capable of the trip, and don't want to buy a Tesla with their established charging network, you can always rent an ICE (or Turo a Tesla for that matter).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm the guy that used 3 gallons gas last year.
1. I got $7k off MSRP deal + $7.5K federal + $2.5K Oregon. So overall, very good deal.
2. I wasn't sure how much ICE (gas) I would use when buying this car. I don't regret PHEV as I can go to the beach (180 miles round trip) or the mountains (130 miles round trip) on a whim if I want to without range anxiety and too much planning ahead.
3. About adding Stabil, I've been reading that the gas is still bad especially with 10% ethanol so I add the Stabil 360 for ethanol mixed gas. If I know it's going to be there for over 6 months, I'll add it in the gas.
4. I do use the engine maybe once a week, planned usage, on stretches of countryside road at 55-60mph for about 15 minutes. Even with that, it's hard to spend the gas. I promise I'll try to use more gas now :)

I have a ODB adapter plugged in and monitor power usage, oil temperature and all that. One thing I noticed, the oil reaches normal temperature within 5 minutes. Maybe the oil sensor is placed very close to the engine or something, but it's hard to believe that the whole oil reaches operating temperature that quick.

So you guys don't like the idea of adding Stabil 360 to gas?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm the guy that used 3 gallons gas last year.
1. I got $7k off MSRP deal + $7.5K federal + $2.5K Oregon. So overall, very good deal.
2. I wasn't sure how much ICE (gas) I would use when buying this car. I don't regret PHEV as I can go to the beach (180 miles round trip) or the mountains (130 miles round trip) on a whim if I want to without range anxiety and too much planning ahead.
3. About adding Stabil, I've been reading that the gas is still bad especially with 10% ethanol so I add the Stabil 360 for ethanol mixed gas. If I know it's going to be there for over 6 months, I'll add it in the gas.
4. I do use the engine maybe once a week, planned usage, on stretches of countryside road at 55-60mph for about 15 minutes. Even with that, it's hard to spend the gas. I promise I'll try to use more gas now :)

I have a ODB adapter plugged in and monitor power usage, oil temperature and all that. One thing I noticed, the oil reaches normal temperature within 5 minutes. Maybe the oil sensor is placed very close to the engine or something, but it's hard to believe that the whole oil reaches operating temperature that quick.

So you guys don't like the idea of adding Stabil 360 to gas?
Drive the car in HV mode until the low fuel light comes on. Then go put three gallons of gas in the car.

Reactions: 2002

·
Registered
540 Posts
Interesting article, although they seem to imply that all manufacturers of PHEV's employ fuel management, but they only quote representatives from Chevrolet and Chrysler. I wonder if the author is just assuming that all other PHEV manufacturers are doing the same thing?

Then again good luck getting information from Honda about it, they seem very tight-lipped about anything technical. For example many of us would love to know what exactly triggers system check, and why does ICE have to start when doing regen on a full battery, and what percentage of braking is from the friction brakes when using the brake pedal. And oh by the way, maybe we would like to know how many of our miles driven are EV vs. gas. In the article they show a photo of the Chrysler Pacifica infotainment screen which is showing a graph of daily driving showing how much was EV and how much was HV each day for the past two weeks. For some reason Honda doesn't think we need to know this information, or else they think none of us are interested.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know if the article mentioned supposed instructions in the Volt service manual that read:

"if you refer to your owner's manual, note that it describes "Fuel Maintenance Mode"--once the average age of the fuel in your tank exceeds 1 year, it will start burning off the old fuel"

Apparently Chevy then have no concerns of deterioration of the gas up to at least a year.

Also I wonder why the article does not address the fact that cars that are driven on a regular basis mixes the gas constantly from the braking, turning etc.

The flip side is the fact you always see posts that tell people to get rid of any gas over 3 month old and regularly use fuel additives to preserve the gas.

Common sense tells me if you purchased a car that sat for 2 years with gas in the tank by all means get it flushed and start with fresh, other than extremes like that I don't worry at all.

·
Registered
368 Posts
On a similar note if my engine hasn't started for a month on its own I go ahead and run HV briefly just to keep things circulated. Maybe that's not necessary, but I still think it's a good idea because we don't really know for sure how well the engine does when not run for several months. I'm not saying it will ruin it, but I also think the Honda engineers assumed that someone buying a PHEV will use the gas engine every once in a while. They did seem to build in a safeguard for that with the System Check that occurs, but some people say their engine sometimes goes for months without running. Probably that's okay, but it's so easy to just fire up the engine for a few minutes each month just to be sure..
I've discovered the Clarity PHEV does have an equivalent to the Volt's Engine Maintenance Mode so it will take care of itself when you're not using the ICE. You'll hear the ICE running but the car will show it's still in EV mode.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've discovered the Clarity PHEV does have an equivalent to the Volt's Engine Maintenance Mode so it will take care of itself when you're not using the ICE. You'll hear the ICE running but the car will show it's still in EV mode.
Yes but my point is we have no idea how often System Check runs. I have never experienced it even though since March I have twice gone more than a month without using ICE. And there was no highway or freeway driving during that time, only surface streets, so it is unlikely that ICE would come on without me hearing it. When ICE finally did come on it was because in both cases I accelerated into the gray area on the power meter. My experience of going over a month seems pretty common.

At least one person has reported that their car sat parked for over a month, and they fully expected ICE to run the next time they drove it, but it didn't, and didn't for several days and if I remember correctly they finally just ran HV because they felt that was too long for the engine to not run.

Pinning down the frequency of "true" System Check among Clarity owners is nearly impossible because in my opinion based on reading people's accounts they are often attributing normal startup events to System Check, like people who are not aware of the full battery regen ICE startup, they don't associate the ICE startup with using regen on a full battery (who in their right mind would?) and so they attribute it as a random ICE startup. And I really believe many people momentary accelerate just a smidgen into the gray area for a second without realizing it, but when you just barely go over like that even though ICE starts it seems to just idle and you can barely hear it until you stop at a light or whatever, causing people to think it was a completely random ICE startup.

I wish it told you in the maintenance screen, engine will start in (x) number of days if not used. Since it doesn't we are left to just guessing about it

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes but my point is we have no idea how often System Check runs. I have never experienced it even though since March I have twice gone more than a month without using ICE. And there was no highway or freeway driving during that time, only surface streets, so it is unlikely that ICE would come on without me hearing it. When ICE finally did come on it was because in both cases I accelerated into the gray area on the power meter. My experience of going over a month seems pretty common.

At least one person has reported that their car sat parked for over a month, and they fully expected ICE to run the next time they drove it, but it didn't, and didn't for several days and if I remember correctly they finally just ran HV because they felt that was too long for the engine to not run.

Pinning down the frequency of "true" System Check among Clarity owners is nearly impossible because in my opinion based on reading people's accounts they are often attributing normal startup events to System Check, like people who are not aware of the full battery regen ICE startup, they don't associate the ICE startup with using regen on a full battery (who in their right mind would?) and so they attribute it as a random ICE startup. And I really believe many people momentary accelerate just a smidgen into the gray area for a second without realizing it, but when you just barely go over like that even though ICE starts it seems to just idle and you can barely hear it until you stop at a light or whatever, causing people to think it was a completely random ICE startup.

I wish it told you in the maintenance screen, engine will start in (x) number of days if not used. Since it doesn't we are left to just guessing about it
System check seems to run on my Wife's Clarity about every six weeks, just like the Volt's EMM. She's retired so I periodically take it to work (49 mile round trip) and I'll hear it after about six weeks. I 100% agree that Honda really needs to publish this type of information so owners aren't surprised when the car does self-maintenance.

Reactions: 2002

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have discovered the ICE run with the car in EV mode with plenty of battery only once since I bought the car in March this year.
Since I generally try to run the ICE once a week or so, does the system account for that so it does not run that task?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have discovered the ICE run with the car in EV mode with plenty of battery only once since I bought the car in March this year.
Since I generally try to run the ICE once a week or so, does the system account for that so it does not run that task?
Yes.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I would think so, in spite of the fact that people claim that even though they run ICE at least once a week they still get system check every once in a while. But as I mentioned I suspect that those aren't really system check they are more likely just normal ICE startup events, but the driver didn't connect the dots with recent activity like harder than normal accelerating or doing regen on a full battery. If ICE is running at least once a week there would seem to be no reason for it to start up ICE during EV driving to do a system check.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts