Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a used 2018 Clarity Plug In. I am trying to set up the Hondalink app on my phone so I can pre-warm the car in the winter (I know it doesn't get that cold in Memphis, but I'm a wuss).

I installed the app on my phone, filled out the form and it said I would get an email. It never came. I called Honda and got transferred a few times and was told that Hondalink is not compatible with my car. I don't believe it for a minute. I know there are folks on this forum who have it installed and working (albeit hinky) on 2018 Clarities.

Any thoughts on getting this working?

TIA

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a used 2018 Clarity Plug In. I am trying to set up the Hondalink app on my phone so I can pre-warm the car in the winter (I know it doesn't get that cold in Memphis, but I'm a wuss).

I installed the app on my phone, filled out the form and it said I would get an email. It never came. I called Honda and got transferred a few times and was told that Hondalink is not compatible with my car. I don't believe it for a minute. I know there are folks on this forum who have it installed and working (albeit hinky) on 2018 Clarities.

TIA
I'm pretty sure you need to get the email to finish up the installation. Until that happens, all bets are off.

My install of HondaLink with my '21 went flawlessly. The app doesn't always work correctly, though.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You should try calling HondaLink support again. From what I have heard they are pretty good about getting HondaLink connected for the first time as it requires something on their end. Yes like any support you might have to deal with a bit of runaround and repeated attempts if you get someone who won't help you. But I suggest make a few more attempts at calling them before going to a dealer, as it's questionable how much a dealer will be able to do about it if anything.

But just so you know even if you get the HondaLink app working, Schedule Climate on the app is not very reliable. Clicking "Turn On Climate" on the app (which immediately starts climate as opposed to setting a schedule) seems to be better and works most of the time, although of course less convenient since you have to remember to start climate each day before you leave. And actually if you had to go that route it would probably be easier and more reliable to just use the key fob to start climate (press the door lock button on the fob, then press and hold the fan button for a few seconds until the parking lights start blinking). Using "Turn On Climate" on the app it takes about a minute to confirm whether or not it successfully started climate. Rather than staring at my phone for a minute I find it's quicker to just step out into the garage and use the fob.

·
Registered
25 Posts

TIA
I had an Iphone 6, 3 yrs ago when I bought my clarity touring and my honda link worked fine. About 6 months ago it stopped working. The problem was My Iphone 6 could no longer be updated to the newer versions and honda link evolved passed that point. To solve the problem I had to get a newer phone. Now works fine again. I don't know if android based phones had that same issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts

TIA
I also bought a used 2018 Clarity. It took several tries to finally get on Honda Link. It bumped me off several times and would not send the code to my phone. I have no idea why it finally worked....just persistence I guess.

·
Registered
39 Posts
if I recall correctly, climate will not work when connected to a 120v charger; must be 220v. I think it WILL work if NOT connectEd though But this will draw down the hv battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I didn't buy it from a Honda dealer: I bought it from CarMax. I am still going to check with the local dealer to see what they can do. Thanks.
The Hondalink app has mostly worked well for me. The odometer doesn't update is my long running but small problem. Be aware that unless you have a 240V charger, the pre conditioning doesn't work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts